Question

Tutor
jimzix
Message 1 of 9 (671 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 7510 wireless printer disappears -- 4 station XP wireless network, w/ 1 PC hardwired.

Printer: HP 7510

Network:  multi-station wireless, thru DLink DI-632 (one PC hardwired to router)

Address Config:   Printer is using static IP -- outside of DCHP range (192.168.15.240)

Printer Config: Each computer has static IP set into the control panel app, using IP addressing.

Operating System:  XP (Service Pack 3)

Other devices:  Ipad, Xoom and Kindle Fire (all working using ePrint)

Network Security Protocol: WEP (we're out in the country)

Network Setup:  Main router, along with 2 access ports (hardwired); currently using channels 1, 5 and 11 (again, we're in the country and have little competition for channels)

File Sharing: All machines in network have one open "share" drive, accessable with passwork.

Scenario:  Wireless computers appear to stay connected for several days to a week at a time. (We reboot weekly, just as a SOP)

Computer that is wired to the network loses communication with the printer a couple of times a day and needs to be rebooted in order to restore connection.

When this happens, other machines continue to print and scan, with no problems, and the wired machine continues to have its name displayed in the SCANNING panel on the printer -- but the printer won't talk to it.   All network functions, including internet and intranet access to the printer's EWS is still available.  I have noticed that if I go into check ink levels, though, that the ink check software behaves differently. 

Normally in the ink status app, there is a small "working" icon with 6 dots. When this computer is connected properly, it will start jumping around the circle, showing activitiy, get to 41%, and then display the ink status info.  When the printer/computer connection is not working, the "working" icon will go to just a couple of percent then jump to the printer information page, showing make, model, serial number, firmware level etc.

In every instance so far, rebooting (with no other action) brings the printer/computer connection back to life -- until next time.  I am trying to find any other pattern for this behavior, just can't identify it yet.

I started out with the plain vanilla installation, but then every computer in the network would consistently drop connections, about every 45 minutes. Using the info on this forum, I've eliminated the drop-outs for those printers, and got to the Static IP solutions (we've done that anyway for years with net-ready machines).  This is the last machine that "drops off"  It appears that some piece of HP-required software is "dropping out" or getting clobbered, but I cannot see a pattern, even checking and noting the various software used locally on the machine, and the various websites visited. So far, no pattern.

I am hoping that an HP guru with access to the source for the "ink supply" status software can take a look at what is happening and why it will always go to 41% and then display ink status (when connected) and then only go a couple of percent and display the ink status (when it isn't connected).

Thanks, in advance,

jim

Tutor
jimzix
Message 2 of 9 (659 Views)

Re: HP 7510 wireless printer disappears -- 4 station XP wireless network, w/ 1 PC hardwired.

More info:

In last paragraph, above, the request for "ink status" is returned with a static display of the printer firmware version, driver version, step level, MAC# etc of the printer, not "ink status" when the printer is disconnected.

Also, when printer is disconnected the HP home networking utility will hang the system -- a hard reboot is required, which restores the printer, until the next time it goes "into the woods".  Signal stregth, measured on the printer, is 4 bars (very good).

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 3 of 9 (635 Views)

Re: HP 7510 wireless printer disappears -- 4 station XP wireless network, w/ 1 PC hardwired.

Not sure if this would help, some of the info could be pertinent:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03149924&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
Tutor
jimzix
Message 4 of 9 (619 Views)

Thanks!  That appears to solve the problem.  After your suggestion, I remembered that I set the "ink level warning" on this machine ONLY to "Always warn me", as opposed to "tell me only when I am printing".  That seemed to be the problem. Only the computer that was set to "always warn on low ink-levels" was disconnecting -- the others worked fine! Now, all are working fine.

Just to be safe, though, I've also turned off the "scan from printer to computer" function on each computer. That was set for each machine, and seemed to work fine. The other machines in the network did not disconnect, and the printer was tracked whether each computer was on or off.   May try to turn it on later; I'll see if the family uses that feature very often!

Thank you for your help. 

Jim

Tutor
jimzix
Message 5 of 9 (611 Views)

I spoke too soon!  After about 26 hours, the printer connection on the one "hard-wired" CPU dropped, which is better than before, but still not solid.  Same exact symptoms as before. Only piece of the puzzle that was different this time is about 50 pages were scanned, some to this computer.  Used the "Scan requested from CPU" process, rather than enabling the "Scan TO Cpu" function in the software app.  It did not drop the connection immediately after -- about 1 hour to 1.5 hours afterwards.  Suspect this is a coincidence, not a cause of the problem with this machine.

I also scanned (same approach) from one other CPU on the network -- that wifi connection is still rock-solid.

Jim

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 6 of 9 (589 Views)

Puzzling. Is there firewall/security/anti-virus software running? it is possible that the hard-wired unit could have different allowable settings than the wireless units? 

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
Tutor
jimzix
Message 7 of 9 (583 Views)

Running Microsoft Security Essentials on all machines on the network.  One thing that is different, that I am testing...the wired machine is also running Tivo Server, which wants to have it's own implimentation of Bonjour (i've disabled it for the testing.)  I've disabled Bonjour on the printer, and resorted to using a static IP address becuase I've had numerous "mis-fires" with Bonjour and the TIVO setup.

I will keep everyone posted on the results, and will hunt this "critter" down.

jim

Tutor
jimzix
Message 8 of 9 (569 Views)

Having the wired machine set to a static IP address DOES NOT make a difference. Printer disappears

Having Bonjour (for TIVO server usage) on wired machine DOES NOT make a diff.  Printer disappears

Problem does not seem related to items running on the computer. I have cycled ever user application on the wired machine, and the HP7510 is still there.  6 to 10 hours later -- it's disappears again.

Restarting the wired computer ALWAYS brings the HP7510 back to this computer.  No power cycling on other machines or the printer itself will bring it back.

That kind of indicates that there is something going on that is limited to this machine.  Where is a blowing up??  The access to the network and internet is as fast (or faster than ever.)

It's getting old.....tonight, I might fire up an old USB networking thumb drive, and try that.

Tutor
jimzix
Message 9 of 9 (555 Views)

It appears that the "low ink" selection is not "sticky", but instead will flip back to the "notify me all the time when ink is low" setting.  I've now reset this several times, only to have it flip again.

When it flips to the "notify me all the time" setting, the printer will randomly disappear, and the percentage wheel, when checking ink supply levels, will get to somewhere between 5% to 25%, and then jump to printer info -- not ink level info.  (When everything is working, the percentage wheel gets to 41%, thinks a little bit, then completes to 100% and displays ink levels.)

I have also found a way to "rediscover" the printer without rebooting -- when the Printer info panel comes up, go all the way to the right-most tab, "Advanced", this brings up the power saving and ink-notification buttons. Move the "ink level notification" button back to "notify me when printing", and click close.  It will not "save" the setting for ever, but the printer connection is reset.

I will need help from the gurus at HP for assistance on making the ink-level setting "sticky".  I have a sneaky feeling that the driver and helper apps will all need to be un-installed and the registry scrubbed and then a re-installation will load the new "ink level setting".  This new setting will be sticky -- at least it is on the other 3 machines in my network. 

It would be very helpful if HP could provide an un-install script to remove the registry setting associated with the printer, so that a re-install would put new values in the registry and not rely on the ond settings, carried over from a prior install.

LESSON:  When installing, the choice for "ink level notification" should always be "ONLY WHEN PRINTING". If you select "NOTIFY ME ALL THE TIME", your connection to your printer will be "flakey" at best.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation