Question

Top Student
WWMLLC
Message 1 of 17 (25,714 Views)

HP 8500 Scan to Network Folder set up

[ Edited ]

I run Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1

My Laptop is a HP tx1410 

I am getting the following message when using the Scan to Network Setup Wizard when I reach "Step #4 - Test Network Folder Settings" in the Setup Wizard:

Testing Failed.  Cannot connect to \\HPlaptop\newscans.  Make sure the remote computer is turned on.

...note that what I typed is the exact message, I am not paraphrasing it...... 

I've searched high and low on HP and Microsoft support sites and forums... and I can't find anything or anybody addressing the problem of "Make sure the remote computer is turned on". 

Does anybody know how to solve this problem?  ...or where I should be looking?    

My network is just my HP laptop and my HP printer  (and my wireless router).

I am the only user account on my HP laptop. 

No other users, computers, etc.

Every functionality relating to my wireless router is working fine

The wireless connectivity of the printer is working.

I've printed test pages, etc.

I am able to print to the printer via my wireless network without any problems. 

The scanner works fine, I just can't get the "scan to network folder" functionality working. 

my computer is named HPlaptop

and the folder is named newscans

you can email me directly with any help.  Thanks.<text deleted>

Message Edited by WendyM on 08-13-2009 08:48 AM
Message Edited by WWMLLC on 08-13-2009 01:02 PM
PhD Student
smartfriend
Message 2 of 17 (25,791 Views)

Re: HP 8500 Scan to Network Folder set up

You haven't mentioned what operating system you have on your laptop.
Please click on KUDOS if you find my solution helpful.
Top Student
WWMLLC
Message 3 of 17 (25,787 Views)

I run Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1.   ...I've updated the original post to show this.  Thank you for pointing out this mistake.

PhD Student
smartfriend
Message 4 of 17 (25,785 Views)

Have you tried to check your PUBLIC FOLDER under the network and sharing center if it is turned on?
Top Student
WWMLLC
Message 5 of 17 (25,779 Views)

Smartfriend -

Yes, The Public Folder is "on" in my Network and Sharing Center.

Under my "Sharing and Discovery" area:

Network Discovery is on

File Sharing is on

Public Folder Sharing is on   and is set so anyone on network can open, change, and create files

Password Protected Sharing is off

Media Sharing is off

PhD Student
smartfriend
Message 6 of 17 (25,773 Views)

Please try this:

1. Try to create another folder on your local drive.

2. Share that folder.

3. Open command prompt in administrator mode.

4. On the command prompt, type hostname and press ENTER. Then get the hostname of your computer.

5. Print a network configuration page of your computer. Pres SETUP->NETWORK->VIEW NETWORK SETTINGS and then PRINT NETWORK CONFIGURATION PAGE. Get the IP Address of your printer

6. Open INTERNET EXPLORER and type the IP ADDRESS of your printer on the address line and press ENTER.

7. In the Embedded Web Server of the printer, click on the SETTINGS TAB and click on DIRECT DIGITAL FILING.

8. Type the network path: \\hostnameofyourpc\thefoldernameyoumade then follow the rest of the instructions on the page.

Let me know how it goes.

Top Student
WWMLLC
Message 7 of 17 (25,762 Views)

In the EWS, there is no option under SETTINGS for DIRECT DIGITAL FILING.

There is a SCAN - DIGITAL FILING option.  And in this option there is NETWORK FOLDER SETUP.

But, I'm not sure what you're getting at with your instructions..... you are basically giving me directions to use the EWS to set up the Network Filing?

I set up a new folder on my desktop, then shared it with Everyone, and set permission level to co-owner.  But I still get the exact same error message when using the EWS to do the rest.

I've tried setting up new folders everywhere I can think of.  I've set up various levels of "sharing" folders, with various permissions.    nothing is working.   It is the "make sure the remote computer is turned on" error message that I can't figure out.

and, last week my network scanning function worked perfectly.... until I brought the printer to my office and now tried to set it up with my wireless system at work.  When I initially purchased the printer, the setup feature worked easy as 1, 2, 3 when just using a folder that I created on my desktop.  I didn't have to deal with any file sharing, remote computer, etc.  Vista just set it up with out any problems.  now as I've read all these Vista help pages and tried to "share" folders and turn on this or that.... I seem to just make it worse and I've got duplicate files and folders all over the network and public folders.  It is now a mess. 

Is there a way to clear out every shared folder, network folder, etc... and just start from scratch.  I don't have any documents in these folders, I don't share this with anybody anyways.... it's just me, my laptop, my printer, and a simple wireless router.   I don't need remote computing, I don't need sharing, I just don't know how to turn it all off now that it is all turned on.

Top Student
Kalpol
Message 8 of 17 (25,703 Views)

I've been investigating the scanning features of the 8500 just now, and ran into the same problem with the exact same error.

For me, it was easily fixed - my firewall had a default rule enabled to block file and printer sharing. Most do as it is considered a serious security risk, some won't even let you change it. If you haven't done, remember to also check windows firewall settings and that file and printer sharing is ticked and enabled for the network connection properties.

Hope it helps.

For one user scanning to a PC, I'm a bit confused as to the point of Scan to Network Folder though especially with sacrificing security - can't you setup Scan to Computer to do the same job?

Honor Student
jmbreland
Message 9 of 17 (24,000 Views)

Identical problem with me.  Scan to network worked when I first set the computer up, but then it stopped working.  Now I get the "can't connect to remote computer" message whenever I set it up.  Scan to Computer won't work either.  The printer says:  "Can't connect...Make sure the remote computer is turned on."  Printing works fine; scanning to email works fine. 

Honor Student
jmbreland
Message 10 of 17 (23,940 Views)

I solved the problem (for immediate purposes, at least) by disabling "Network Threat Protection" on my Symantec Endpoint Protection software.  The next step is to find out figure out how to configure the firewall rules so as to allow network scanning from the 8500 printer without completely losing the benefit of Network Threat Protection.  Anybody have a suggestion of what I should tell the virus protection software to "allow?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation