Question

Top Student
Georgia89
Message 1 of 24 (8,613 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 8500 Series 909 Printer Offline

I have a new HP 8500 wireless printer. Setup was easy and the printer and wireless worked fine. However, after a while, Windows 7 says the printer is offline. There is no way to reconnect the printer, even though it is not in sleep mode and wireless Internet is working fine. The only solution I have found is that every time the printer offline message pops up, I need to go to Control Panel > Printers > and remove the HP 8500 and then reinstall it by selecting "Add a Printer." Needless to say, this is a pain. Anyone else experience this problem and come up with a better solution?
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 24 (8,585 Views)

Re: HP 8500 Series 909 Printer Offline

Did the HP Customer Participation program get installed when you installed the 8500 printer SW?  If so, go ahead and uninstall it.

Next, go and download and run the Network Diagnostic Utility located here.  After it starts, select  Show Advanced Tools and then Display Detected Wireless Networks.  Tell me the names of the networks, the channel number, the Signal Quality and which one is yours.  This information will help me tell if you're getting interference from neighboring networks. 

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
Georgia89
Message 3 of 24 (8,552 Views)

I did not install the HP Customer Participation program. I downloaded and ran the Network Diagnostic Utility and it sees the printer and everything else in our home connected to the net (and there is no interference as there are no neighboring networks). But the printer still shows itself as offline. The only way to fix it is to remove the printer and reinstall, each and every time it says it's offline.

This is ridiculous. I'm about ready to return the printer to HP and find a wireless printer that will work. I would definitely NOT recommend the HP 8500 to anyone!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 24 (8,538 Views)

Can you right-click the printer in Control Panel>Printers and select "Use Printer Online"?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
Georgia89
Message 5 of 24 (8,509 Views)

I've tried right clicking the printer icon and selecting "Use Printer Online" mulitple times. It does not solve the problem.
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 24 (8,503 Views)

Did you run the Diagnostic that Wi-Fi Guy recommended?  Do that and see if it sees the printer when it is off-line.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
knedd
Message 7 of 24 (8,553 Views)

I had a similar problem with my HP C7180 wireless printer. Here is how I solved it:

I use a Netgear router where I have my PC and the printer running on the same wireless LAN.  The router normally assigns dynamic IP addresses to all devices on the network.  This is the root of the problem as it seems WIN 7 assigns a specific port to the printer tied to the IP address assigned to the printer by the router at the time of the install.  This works fine until the router happens to assign a different IP to the printer.  At that point WIN 7 doesn't know of the change in the router's IP assignment and thus the printer appear offline.

You can solve the problem by having your router hold a specific IP address for the printer that does not change. To do so try the following:

1. Delete the printer from your PC.

2. Assign a specific IP address to the printer in your router that will not change. Most routers allow this.

3. Re-install the printer using WIN 7.  There should be no need to download the HP drivers.

While this is an obvious bug in WIN 7, this workaround should solve the problem.  Let me know how it goes.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 8 of 24 (8,525 Views)

You could also assign manual IP settings to the printer and prevent the DHCP to kick in. Go to the printers' embedded web page, go to Network and select Wireless (802.11) from the left, click on IPv4 settings on the top, and assign the IP address, subnet mask, Default Gateway and primary DNS server(which will be the Default gateway address also), and then the printer IP will not change.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
Mike800
Message 9 of 24 (8,466 Views)

This disconnecting issue with the 8500 Wireless has happened three times to me nowI will reset the Linksys router by unplugging it for 5 secondsAfter the router resets, the printer comes back online and connects to the network computersIt has worked every time so far.  I think this is a firmware issue with either the router or the printer.

A bit of a hassle but hey that's technology sometimes.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 24 (8,436 Views)

Did you check the Linksys site for the latest firmware for your router?

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation