Question

Top Student
sandra5036
Message 1 of 5 (910 Views)

HP B109n-z network problems

Hi

I bought this printer at Easter this year.  It has worked perfectly up to the last few days and now it keeps disconnecting from the network.  Nothing has changed on the network.

My PC has the 64-bit Windows 7 OS so I have downloaded the drivers from the HP website to replace the original drivers because it kept dropping the network and the printer worked fine until I tried to print a 14 page document today.  It printed one page and then said that the printer was offline.  I used the support utility and followed the instructions.  I unplugged the printer and when I reconnected it worked for 8 of the 14 pages.  Now the printer has disappeared from the printer list.  This is getting very frustrating as I am trying to do some work.  Can you help please?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 5 (903 Views)

Re: HP B109n-z network problems

Tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

I am employed by HP
Top Student
sandra5036
Message 3 of 5 (902 Views)

Router is a Belkin N1 Wireless router.  Encryption is WPA (PSK)  ISP is Sky on DSL.

Top Student
sandra5036
Message 4 of 5 (900 Views)

I've run the Windows diagnostic and it reports that it cannot fix the problem.  It says there is a fault in the network adapter.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 5 (890 Views)

Is the Belkin yours or is it your ISP's?  Can you configure the Belkin?

Honestly neither the Belkin nor DSL are doing you any favors in this situation.  Both are known for connectivity problems.

Before we do anything drastic, go to Setup > Network > Wireless Network Test from the front of the printer.  This will self-test the printer's radio to make sure it has not died.

If it looks OK, let's re-install it in this way:

- Unplug the telephone line from the router
- Turn the power off on the router, wait 30 seconds, then turn the power back on.
- Go through the normal process of connecting the printer to the router.
- Now find the IP address of the printer (it should be on the self-test printout), type it into a browser.
- On that screen you will find a Networking Tab, then on the left Wireless, then the IPv4 Tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know, use the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank
- Finally, plug in the phone line, reboot the router and test.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation