HP B209 Wireless Set-up...HELP!! (3896 Views)
Honor Student
mulestang
Message 1 of 4 (3,896 Views)

HP B209 Wireless Set-up...HELP!!

[ Edited ]

Just purchased new HP B209 all-in-one.  Here's my set-up:  HP desktop PC running XP; internet delivery via Comcast modem to Belkin N+ wirelss router.  PC is not wirelss capable, so ethernet cable runs from wirelss router port to ethernet NIC card in PC.  Installed B209 using USB cable from printer to PC.  Install went as per instructions, worked fine.    Now I  want my new Toshiba laptop to be print capable.  Can I do this while leaving the printer attached via USB to the desktop PC?  Do I have to remove the USB cable and establish a wirelss connection between my Belkin router and the printer?  This is so confusing!  What is the best way to set this up?  Thanks!

P.S.  I did attempt the "Change the HP Photosmart from a USB connection to a network connection" step, and when asked to select the printer, my printer was available.  However, after selecting it and going to the next step, I got an alert stating that the printer was not connected...it was!

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 4 (3,890 Views)

Re: HP B209 Wireless Set-up...HELP!!

Since your desktop is connected to the router, it will be able to communicate with the printer when it is connected wirelessly. So you really don't even need to connect the USB cable to the desktop. Just uninstall and reinstall the software on the desktop. During the setup process, select the wireless connection option and follow the instructions. Once it is installed on the desktop, proceed with the installation on the laptop.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
mulestang
Message 3 of 4 (3,864 Views)

[ Edited ]

Tried the wireless install with no luck.  Uninstalled everything and called HP support.  Support states that you have to hook the desktop to the printer via USB...no way around it.  So, intall with USB printer works great, but cannot get either my XP or Windows 7 laptops to connect wirelessly.  Call HP support again.  Long story short....after 2 hours and 13 minutes on the phone with HP support, even they cannot get a single laptop to connect wirelessly.  Two hours of my life I'll never get back.... 

No MAC filtering, changed wireless router to channel 11, changed all modes of security (WEP, WPA, WPA2), even turned security off.  No luck.  The printer passed all internal tests.  I know my router is good..so is the laptop.  What else do I try?

I've been an HP dude for a long time now, but this is probably the straw that has broken the camel's back.  If HP support can't get it to connect wireless, how am I supposed to be able to?  I paid for a wireless printer, so I guess I'll take it back and try another brand, though I hate to.  This really sucks.  Vent complete!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 4 (3,850 Views)

I know this is frustrating, but it may not be an HP problem.  Belkin may be at fault here.  Some of their routers are, well, non-standard.

Let's try a firmware update on your Belkin router.  Also, make sure the router is set to operate in both N and G modes (your printer only has a G radio in it).  Also the radio mode on the Belkin needs to be set at 20MHz.

Finally, run a Network Config Test from the front of the printer to see if it is connected correctly.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation