Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I have had this printer for two years and it has worked fine. Two changes were made to my system/computer. 1. I upgraded OS X Mountain Lion. 2. Got a new Fios Verizon Router Actiontec router.  

I have exhausted every Verizon Fios and HP link, troubleshooting, option I can find over the past week.  Maybe someone here can help me!  

Here are the facts:

• All other devices, computers, laptops, iphones/itouches, apple tv, etc can all access network
  • When I connect via USB to the computer I am able to print.
  • When I push blinking blue Wireless button on device control panel I get: Not Connected, Settings, Print Report. When I select Settings I get: Disable Wireless, Settings, Defaults. When I select WPS I get: Push Button or Pin.  Neither connect.
  • I was able to run a Wireless Network Test Report: "Your HP printer cannot find yoru access point. Check that your access point is powered on. Check that your HP printer network name (SSID) matches your access point network name (SSID) exactly. If they don't match exactly run the wireless network setup to configure your HP Printer"

Diagnostics Summary:

Wireless On   PASS

Wireless Working  PASS

Network Names (SSID) Found  FAIL

Configuration Summary:

Network Name (SSID)   HPJ610a.42DBCA   (this is not my network name....)

Hardware Address (MAC)   98:4b:e1:42:db:ca

IP Address:  Not applicable

Configuration Source:  Not applicable

So, how do I run the wireless network set up?  How do I get this printer back up and printing again?

Thanks!!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

These instructions here are what finally worked for me:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/is-there-a-driver-for-deskjet-3050-for-...

I didn't have a "HP-Setup" Instead I finally found HPJ610a.42DBCA  and was finally able to open the Printer Webpage, where previously I was unable.

Thanks for all of the help!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I have the same situation and problem. Appreciate feedback.

HP Recommended

I am having the same difficulty. I just upgraded to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard and suddenly my HP Printer is refusing to talk to my Mac.

My Workaround for Now:

- connecting via USB cord 😞 

- using hpeprint. I do get the document attached to the email to print, but it wastes paper by printing both the document and the email itself (maybe there is another way to get just the document to print, but I couldn't find it)

I would love, Love, LOVE to get this resolved to print via my Wi-Fi. Note: like others I've had this printer for more than one year and it works great with other Mac and PCs...even my iPhone via hpeprint.

HP: Why make it so difficult for the HP to "talk" with the Mac? I love HP printers and have used them for more than 20 years, but setup is notoriously painful.

Thank you.

HC

HP Recommended

We just tested my daughter's PC and it too cannot print to the HP, which it was able to for the past year.  

So, it's something specifically with the HP printer where I cannot set it up to recognize the correct network.  I can't figure out how to set it up! i don't seem to have the option, although  many of the troubleshooting steps suggest that there should be.  I only have a WPS option that allows for a "Push Button" set up or a "Pin" set up an neither work.

I don't understand this at all!!!:smileyfrustrated:

HP Recommended

I actually have a different printer (hope I'm not breaking any etiquette rules), but I have the same problem with it not recognizing the printer. I finally figured out how to fix it and added my results to another person's post about my printer HP LaserJet CP1525nw.

The link below is what got me started on the right path...but then the Setup Wizard did not work, so I added more comments about how I manually setup my printer.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/Setting-up-Wireless-after-installing-Mo...

As I added to my posts in the above link, I'm just a user and hope that this spares someone else the frustration I've been going through. I would love to have a "kudos" to know if it works for anyone else.

Best,

HC

HP Recommended

These instructions here are what finally worked for me:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/is-there-a-driver-for-deskjet-3050-for-...

I didn't have a "HP-Setup" Instead I finally found HPJ610a.42DBCA  and was finally able to open the Printer Webpage, where previously I was unable.

Thanks for all of the help!

HP Recommended

These instructions finally worked for me as well, but there are two things that are left off that I had to do in order to make it work.  The first is I had to have an ethernet plugged from my wireless router into my mac in order to complete the steps.  The second is that after restoring the defaults, I had to then click on "enable wireless" on my desket BEFORE connecting wirelessly to the "HP" network that popped up.

Once you finally get to the web page and click on the networks tab to install the printer on the network, you may lose internet service which will then inhibit you from completing the process (every time I connected to the "hp network" that kicked me off of my own home wifi network, but you have to be connected online in order to complete the process).  After trying over and over again, I finally plugged the ethernet in and started all over again with the restoring degaults, then clicking the button the deskjet that says "enable wireless", then followed all of the steps above and I finally received the completed message.  Then I unplugged the ethernet cord and all was well (it was a little slow at first like someone mentioned).

So if the steps are not working for you, try plugging the ethernet from the router to your mac first, then follow all of the steps (including the restoring defualts as step one), click on ebable wireless on the printer, then after all of the steps and the complete message, unplug the ethernet.  

I also should mention that I have os x 10.9 of which there is no driver on hp's site, so I installed the driver for os x 10.8 first before doing the steps and that is also what helped this to work (I wasn't even able to click on the "webpage" tab on the printers page because it wasn't even finding the printer at first before downloading the 10.8 driver for the deskjet).

HP Recommended

These instruction reflect the procedure I used  to connect my HP Deskjet 3050 J610 series to an Xfinity wireless router (Cisco DPC 3939) using a MacBookPro. 

1. Check the Internet connection of your laptop. It should be C32C - 2.4 not the alternate C32C - 5. HP printers only connect at 2.4 (according to a note on the HP website.)

2.Connect your computer to your printer with the USB cable that came with the printer.

3.Find the HP printer software, which is installed by Apple along with system software. I found it at Macintosh HD / Library / Printers /  hp / utilities / HP Utility.app.

4. Open the HP Utility.app. It will connect with your printer and set up the wireless. Note that the HP Deskjet 3050 is too old to be set up automatically, so skip the automatic set up. Enter your router password when requested and the software will take care of the rest. It will connect you printer to the router using 2.4. 

5. After your printer is connected, remove the USB cable. You should now be able to print wirelessly — no matter if your laptop is connected  to C32C - 2.4 or C32 -5. (The connection between your printer and router needs to be at 2.4 during setup only).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.