HP Deskjet 3050 J610 series - Wifi problems (30113 Views)
Honor Student
ForumPoster
Message 1 of 45 (30,113 Views)

HP Deskjet 3050 J610 series - Wifi problems

Hi all,

Having big problems with the new HP I just bought today - hoping someone can help me fix it.

I just can't seem to get the device to connect to my wireless network at all. Am running XP with a Comodo firewall, but the printer still doesn't work wirelessly even when I try disabling the firewall. I also tried adding exceptions for the relevant .exe files in the Bin folder, but still nothing.

When running the installation disc, it almost always stops even with the USB connected and reports that the printer cannot be found. I manually inputted the printer's MAC address into my router settings, but the printer still refuses to respond. I cannot scan or print.

Any/all help greatly appreciated! I tried to use the HP chat support, but I get a message saying the serial numbers are not supported... :smileysad:

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 45 (30,082 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 3050 J610 series - Wifi problems

Tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

Does the printer have a valid IP address (print a self-test from the front panel)?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
ForumPoster
Message 3 of 45 (30,075 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have a Netgear router with WPA

Yes, the print-out does have an IP for the printer. I've also downloaded the Home Network Diagnostic Utility which seems to have found the printer though it says my firewall may be blocking it - but when I try and disable it, the problem remains.

Interestingly, I also have an iPod - I downloaded the HP app and the printer started scanning almost immediately, so it appears there's definitely some kind of software issue between my computer and the printer.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 45 (30,052 Views)

Good job on the utility!  The firewall most likely in the way is the one on your security system (Norton, McAfee or the like) not WIndows firewall.

Can you 'see' the printer if you type its IP into a browser address bar?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
ForumPoster
Message 5 of 45 (30,030 Views)

Yes, and I can print a test sheet via this method also.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 45 (30,008 Views)

I think Comodo is still in the way.  Is there a way to totally disable it for a quick test?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
ForumPoster
Message 7 of 45 (30,001 Views)

I just completely exited Comodo and I still can't get through to the printer... :/

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 45 (29,994 Views)

Hmm, sorry.  The only suggestion I have left is to uninstall Comodo and install a different security system.  I like Microsoft's Security Essentials - its free and seems to do a good job, however I am not a high risk user.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
JefCas
Message 9 of 45 (29,437 Views)

I have a similar issue as well.

I just can't get the printer to connect to my wireless network at all. I am running Win XP. I managed to install printer using USB connection. When trying to connect the printer to my W/L it successfully discovered my W/L network name, and passed the security configuration as well. It seems, from what I can understand from the W/L Network Test Report, that the main issue is with filtering and installation fails to complete. I have also manually included the MAC Address of the printer on the W/L router but printer still refuses to respond.

One other thing I noticed is that the W/L blue bulb on the printer is blinking and not steady? Is this normal? What do you suggest I do to make this device to work?

Thanks in advance

Jef

PhD Student
Praveen_David
Message 10 of 45 (29,423 Views)

Try opening up UDP ports 1000 - 65535, 427, 370 and TCP ports 9220, 9500, 8080, 443 in  firewall. Also check if there is an option called " block incoming UDP ports" something like that.

If it still does not work, first install the software with USB connection. Then disconnect the cable, select Start ==> All Programs ==> HP ==> HP Deskjet 3050 ==> Connect new printer.

When it prompts for connection type, select Wireless and this should complete the installation.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation