Question

Honor Student
markyd82
Message 1 of 6 (1,682 Views)

HP Deskjet 3070A - difficult to print wirelessly. Can anyone help?

Hello, 

I bought a Deskjet 3070A earlier this week.  I set it up fine without any problems, first with a wireless connection and secondly through the USB cable on a different laptop PC.  On first use, I could print easily from wireless and through the USB. 

Since then, it hasn't been so easy.  I have not been able to print wirelessly.  I have followed the instructions on the printer, including holding down the WPS button on the router.  I was able to print one document this evening wirelessly but, not 10 minutes later, tried to print another document.  This time it was back to normal - won't print, no connection. 

It may read as though the problem is the general wireless connection, but the router works perfectly and the printer is in the same room, less than 5 metres away. 

Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be? Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 6 (1,665 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 3070A - difficult to print wirelessly. Can anyone help?

What router?  What operating system?

Do not press the WPS button unless you are adding a new device.

Print a Wireless Network Test from the front of the printer.  Is your printer connected to your wireless network? 

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
markyd82
Message 3 of 6 (1,655 Views)

Router is Sitecom 300N. Operating system is WIndows XP. 

I have already printed a couple of wireless tests.

One stated 'Wireless On - FAIL' , network name was found.  

Connectivity, 'connected - not run; disconnect count total - 331; disconnect count (last hour) - 13; disconnect count (last 24 hours) - 13'.

Network, 'name - not run; other networks - not run; wireless networks detected - 8.'

Settings - none run.

The other said, 'Wireless On - PASS', but network name was 'not set'. 

On Connectivity, 'connected - not run; disconnect count total - 318; disconnect count (last hour) - 0; disconnect count (last 24 hours) 0'.

Network, 'Name - FAIL; other networks - not run; wireless networks detected - 10.'

Settings - none run. 

What are your thoughts?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 6 (1,649 Views)

My thoughts are that your printer is not connected to your wireless network.  You can use WPS to re-establish communication, but do it in this way:

1. Start the WPS pushbutton process in the Wireless menu of your printer.

2. Within 2 minutes push the WPS button on your router.

When commnucation is established, go to your PC: Start > Control Panel > Printers and delete all instances of the printer.  Now, re-add it in this way:

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing.
2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Printers.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's IP address. Click Next.
7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
8. If you are asked, use the currently installed driver.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
10. You may be asked to share the printer. Choose NO.
11. The Print Test Page box appears. Go ahead and print it.
12. Click Finish.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
markyd82
Message 5 of 6 (1,634 Views)

That sounds great, but I have one question:

WHen you say, 'When communication is established,' do you mean, when there is a positive connection, or simply when the printer says something in relation to the computer?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 6 (1,623 Views)

That means that you verify the printer is connected to your network.  Print a Wireless Network Test from the front of the printer to tell this.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation