Question

Tutor
OriD
Message 1 of 33 (6,454 Views)

HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 4625 e-All-in-One - Network connection drops on hibernation

Hi,

I got the printer a couple of days ago.

Installation was OK. I can print and scan and WebPrint.

The computer is running Win 7 64 bit.

The router is an Edimax running as an access point. Security is WPA PSK. Channel 11.

I can send the router log if necessary.

However, after some time (say overnight) the printer is unreachable to the print and scan drivers. I can still see it using the browser (pointing the browser to the IP address let's me see all the information) and the printer says it's connected but I cannot scan, print or WebPrint (errors say that the printer is unreachable).

Troubleshooting so far:

• The connection is good, signal strength is good (the printer and router are 2 feet apart)
  • The printer has a static IP address.
  • the DNS has been set up in three different ways (empty, 8.8.8.8 and router gateway IP) - none of these changed the symptoms.
  • HP Printand Scan Doctor: When I can scan/print it finds no problems. When I can't scan/print it can't help. It sees the printer on the network and tells me everything checks out OK even though it can't scan from it or print to it either! The only suggestion it gives me is to restart my computer (I tried it once - no help and it's not an acceptable solution either).
  • Resetting the printer by cycling the power solves the problem. Again - not an acceptable workaround.

This looks like a firmware / driver problem.

Hope you can fix the problem. I was a little worried about buying an HP printer... hope I don't regret it.

Ori

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 2 of 33 (6,417 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 4625 e-All-in-One - Network connection drops on hibernation

Hi OriD,

I'd like to help.  Can you answer some questions?

1. Can you run a Printer Status Report and give me the Firmware version?  To get to the report select Setup / Reports / Printer Status Report.
  2. What is the IP address for the printer?
  3. Is the printer plugged directly to a wall outlet and not a surge protector or battery backup?
  4. Did you use a disk or download from hp.com for the install?
Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Tutor
OriD
Message 3 of 33 (6,407 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 4625 e-All-in-One - Network connection drops on hibernation

Hi,

Firmware is CAP1FN1240AR

IP is 192.168.2.201

Wall outlet.

Disk & Download. Tried both.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 4 of 33 (6,402 Views)

It looks like your firmware is current.  I am linking a troubleshooting document that covers connectivity issues.  Click Here  I recommend that you go through the causes, tips and steps to see if any of these help.  In addition, I suggest the following:

1. Make sure that the static IP and DNS are setup in Wireless / IPv4.  I'm sure you probably did that right, but it is easy to set it up in the Wired section if you aren't looking for it.
  2. For the Manual DNS Server, I recommend 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS.
  3. It's good that the printer and router are in the same room, but you might consider separating them by a few more feet if possible.

Let me know how it goes.

Good Luck !

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Tutor
OriD
Message 5 of 33 (6,394 Views)

Please read my original post and provide some useful ideas...
Like it says, dns and ip are OK. The printer is always visible in the browser even when it won't print.
All three ideas in your last post are not relevant.
Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 6 of 33 (6,379 Views)

Did you go through the troubleshooting steps I linked?

Does it make a difference if you temporarily turn off your Windows and any other firewalls?

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Tutor
OriD
Message 7 of 33 (6,369 Views)

Of course I did.

Some of your troubleshooting ideas are not relevant or already covered in my original post... Pls read it!

Windows firewall on/off did not make any difference. No other firewalls are active.

Tutor
OriD
Message 8 of 33 (6,351 Views)

Hi,

Tried on a different computer. 

Same problem.

I have some Wireshark logs if you know how to use them.

Ori

Tutor
OriD
Message 9 of 33 (6,255 Views)

No help anyone?

Tutor
OriD
Message 10 of 33 (6,185 Views)

Problem solved.

No thanks to HP though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation