Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've just set up this printer on a wireless network to use with my laptop.  I would like to also establish a usb connection with my desktop computer.  Should I install the software on the desktop and then just proceed to set it up as a usb connection?  Will I run into any problems accessing the printer wirelessly from my laptop?  Thanks for your advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello AtlantaAH,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand you are looking to install the Envy 4500 onto a Desktop computer via USB, and it is already setup on a laptop that is connected over wireless.

You would be able to install the printer without issue on the Desktop computer as long as you connect the USB when instructed to.

The wireless connection the laptop has to the printer will not be changed either. Printing USB to one computer and wireless to others is a supported means of using the printer.

Cheers,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hello AtlantaAH,

I understand you are looking to install the Envy 4500 onto a Desktop computer via USB, and it is already setup on a laptop that is connected over wireless.

You would be able to install the printer without issue on the Desktop computer as long as you connect the USB when instructed to.

The wireless connection the laptop has to the printer will not be changed either. Printing USB to one computer and wireless to others is a supported means of using the printer.

Cheers,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Question-is there any risk of someone using the network connection to the printer as a "bridge"to access the desktop via the USB connection?
HP Recommended

@Morty74 wrote:
Question-is there any risk of someone using the network connection to the printer as a "bridge"to access the desktop via theUSB connection?

What exactly do you mean???

HP Recommended

If the printer is deployed in an office environment, and is connected via network to a desktop computer which resides on the DMZ network, and simultaneously connected via USB to a server which resides on a secure network - is there any risk of someone accessing the DMZ machine and using the connection(s) to the printer to access the secure server?

HP Recommended

No.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I have connected wirelessly but I have to use a range extender into the bedroom to get a decent signal from the router downstairs.  I would now like to connect via a USB cable so that I can print without switching on the range extender.  How do I do that please?  I don't see any request for connecting a cable. However,  I have connected the cable but it doesn't print.  Do I have to uninstall and reinstall?  Pleae answer simply and clearly.

HP Recommended

Hello Fred73,

I understand that you wish to be able to use the ENVY 4500 via USB on your computer. You should be able to add the printer via Devices and Printers. With the printer powered on, connected the USB cable to the computer. Then, open Control Panel> Devices and Printers. If the printer is not already listed via the Plug n' Play of the USB, click Add Printer.

Follow the steps, once added, try printing.

If you need a more step by step response, let me know the version of Windows you have installed on the computer.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have a MacBook Pro which I don't think has windows.  Is that not Microsoft??

HP Recommended

That is correct, Mac has is not Microsoft. Knowing that you have a Mac now, what version of Mac, including version, e.g. 10.8, is installed on it?

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.