Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks.  OS X Yosemite Version 10.10

HP Recommended

Try this;

Remove the USB cable from Mac and ensure the printer is powered on. Ensure that the Mac is fully up to date (Apple icon and then Software Update). Download and install this printer file: HP Printer Drivers v3.0 for OS X and then restart the Mac.

Open System Preferences> Printing and Scanning. Right click the white space underneath the printers listed and Reset the Printing System.

Connect the USB and the printer should add its self. Click the + button and add the Bonjour printer. Apply the USB to be default, if you would like.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Apple icon and then software update.  Where is the software update??

How do you download and install this printer?

Right click white space and reset, removes all printers.  My wireless if fine I just want to add printing by cable also.

What is a bonjour printer.  I have an HP envy 4500.  Is this the wireless way?

Sorry, you have to make things very simple for me.  It is all a sort of foreign language.

Fred Lawson

HP Recommended

Didn't mean for that to go over your head. Sometimes I forget that people do not do these steps 3-4 times a day like my self. I hope this paints a better picture of the suggested steps.

1)

(source image: https://www.cites.illinois.edu/sites/default/files/wireless/wpa2/graphics/010_desktop_iconapple_drop...

2)

Click this link: HP Printer Drivers v3.0 for OS X and the drivers download will pop up and start. Installing it is down once the update finishes downloading. Usually you will have to open the download by double clicking it from the save location.

3)

Resetting the Print System will allow you to have a fresh set of printing drivers and ensure that there isn't any un wanted duplicates.

4)

Bonjour is the apple naming method used for wireless devices.

(Source image: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/imageServlet?DOCID=emr_na-c03413323-17/c04584049.png)

As you see in the above, the highlighted printer is Bonjour Multifunction. Under "Use" make sure you have the printer name selected, and not AirPrint.

5)

Once the Bonjour version of the printer is added, connect the USB cable and the Mac should add the USB printer. Two printer should now be in the System Preferences > Printing and Scanning area.

Does this explain this better?

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Sorry, I don't have software update of dock.

The drop down from my Apple icon has About, prefs, apps, recent,quit,sleep, restart, shutdown, log out.

I must have downoaded the printer software already as it works perfectly on wifi, I just want to print off a cable to avoid switching on the wifi extender just for a short print job.

HP Recommended

OK, just go to System Preferences> Printing and Scanning. How many printers are listed? If one, connect the USB and the system should now have two. If one doesn't add when you connect the cable, press the + button and add the printer as a USB.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Yes, I have got into scanners and printers and have the Envy as Bon Jour - why they can't just call it WiFi??  To complicate and confuse I suppose.

I have connected the USB cable and nothing has happened.  I have pressed + and nothing.

Why not I wonder?

Really what a waste of time all this is.

HP Recommended

What does "add the printer as a USB" mean??  How do you do this?

HP Recommended

I was able to find a video that should help. There will be two main differences you will need to make note of after watching and while performing the steps. 1) The Apple update is accessed by clicking the Apple icon> About this Mac and then Software update. 2) Since you have 10.10, the icons may be slightly different in name and or have a different look to the icon.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.