Question

Top Student
HPuser059123
Message 1 of 28 (2,049 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Envy D410a computer sleep and offline issue OSX wireless

[ Edited ]

HI,

I'm new but I have been searching this forum as well as the apple support forum for answers.  The problem I have been trying to fix is limited to wireless activity.   I am running 10.6.7 OSX and Windows 7 64-bit.  Now I can constantly duplicate the problem of the printer going offline on a Mac, but the D410a works perfectly with Windows 7 64-bit.  I can shut down the windows machine or put it to sleep and upon powering it back on or waking it the D410a functions perfectly.

When I put my Mac to sleep and wake it, I lose the connection to the D410a.  Specifically, I try to print or scan from it with no luck using "Preview", HP Scan 3 Utility, as well as the Print & Fax location that allows you to access the scanner.  Attempting several suggestions throughout these forums,  I managed to partially remedy the problem. I've read about the issue of "Energy Saving" feature being a problem.  I have tried setting energy saving to the options "After 5 minutes of inactivity" and "After 15 minutes of Inactivity".  But the problem seems to be originating from the Mac.

I've set my IP on the D410a to an IP address outside the DHCP range (static IP).   I've tinkered with the router settings, ensuring that the signal of the printer is strong, or that the router is remembering its location.  I played around with port forwarding, (not sure what I was doing really). I checked the firewall settings on the Mac and they are turned off

Now as I said earlier, the only way I can get the D410a to respond to any Mac requests such as printing or scanning wirelessly. is by either going into my router (Dlink DIR-655 revB) and making some changes and saving the settings.  I assume this somehow reinitializes the D410a and becomes available on my Mac.  The other way I can "reinitialize the printer" is by logging into the printers webserver and playing with some features.  Specifically, I changed the gateway to 0.0.0.0 and the printer printed what was on qeue.  After putting the Mac to sleep it lost the connection.  I changed the gateway back to 192.168.2.1 and the printer and scanner were "reinitialized".  Eventually it loses the connection to the Mac.

Please, help me with straightening this mess out.  I like using Windows but their are things on my Mac that require the use of the D410a.  Having it work would improve my workflow.  I have just received this printer today and I would prefer not to go through the hassle of returning it as I purchased this printer for its compact size and build quality. 

...I forgot to mention that I tried completely reinstalling the software.  I also tried a installing drivers in a specific sequence.  1. Uninstall HP Drivers > Restart Mac > Add printer and Install Apples HP drivers > download full HP drivers from website and install.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 28 (1,869 Views)

Re: HP Envy D410a computer sleep and offline issue OSX wireless

This is certainly strange and you have done a great job troubleshooting and writing up.  Thank you.

Let's pick on the router a bit.  Does it have the latest firmware?  Do you have another router to try?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
HPuser059123
Message 3 of 28 (1,867 Views)

i haven't installed the latest firmware for the Dlink DIR-655, and it is my only router. I will cross my fingers, because at this point i'm almost out of ideas. I appreciate the help.
Top Student
HPuser059123
Message 4 of 28 (1,863 Views)

[ Edited ]

Installed new firmware on my Router and it didnt work. 

I should also correct what I mentioned earlier about temporarily "initializing" the printer.  If I play with the network settings in the router, I cannot get it to initialize the printer.  I'm not sure if I that ever worked as I seem to have gotten confused during all the steps I've done to troubleshoot.  However, I can "initialize" the printer after going into the printer webserver and changing gateway either from 0.0.0.0 to 192.168.x.1.   I should also mention that I've noticed the printer to go offline after less than 5 minutes after I've printed from it after "initializing" it via the printers webserver. 

I attempted to reinstall my the HP software/drivers.  First I reset printing system, "System Preferences>Print & Fax> (right click left box with printer list) Reset Printing System", then Uninstalled HP software.  Reboot, Reinstalled.  The printer was not found wirelessly during the Installation.  I had to manually add it after the software was installed. 

I'm out of ideas.  I would be glad to just get the printer working without going offline. I will try again with a reinstall through USB wirelessly ( can't remember if i've done that already ). 

Tutor
bam88888
Message 5 of 28 (1,852 Views)

Check if your router's multicast/IGMP proxying and enable them if they are not . They mess with HP re-discovery service I think.

Let me know if it works :smileyhappy: 

Top Student
HPuser059123
Message 6 of 28 (1,847 Views)

Wow! two days of searching for an answer and finally. I've read and tried so many things. Thank you very much!
Top Student
HPuser059123
Message 7 of 28 (1,844 Views)

Ugh. it disconnected again shortly after enabling multicast. If i disable multicast it reconnects but eventually disconnects. weird. I mentioned this in my first post. It seems that tinkering with the router somehow initializes the printer just as tinkering with the printer webserver does.
Tutor
bam88888
Message 8 of 28 (1,836 Views)

Hmm.. If you can get your hands on another router, perhaps you can test if the problem lies within your router. The multicast thing helped solve my problem, hopefully you find your solution too. Good luck :smileyhappy:

Top Student
MarkyMarc43
Message 9 of 28 (1,703 Views)

So excuse me for asking the following question - but exactly in what way was this issue solved. I have exactly the same issue - and I have spend hours over the past 4 days trying to get this to work as it was intended.

If I don't get this resolved, I am returning this printer / scanner.

No software for Lion

No software through Mac Software Update

Goes offline constantly.

Have to restart my iPad and iPhone to get the printer to show up.

Come on HP - I'm not feeling the love....

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 28 (1,684 Views)

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). You can find the DHCP range of the router using its internal settings page or in its manual. Use the CD that came with your router or type the router's IP address (ends in .1) into a browser.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation