Question

Student
jcalibra
Message 1 of 6 (1,663 Views)

HP LASERJET 4000 PARALLEL PRINTER - CONNECT TO NETWORK

I have a HP LaserJet 4000 printer with parallel interface currently connected to a desktop computer (WIN 7) via hardwire connection.  I have a wireless home network with another desktop and several laptops that I would like to be able to print to this printer, preferably via a wireless interface.  Does anyone know if this is possible and if so what it would take in additional hardware.  Even though this printer is no longer sold, in terms of usage it is still new, on the first toner cartridge!

thanks

Grad Student
TreeFrog
Message 2 of 6 (1,653 Views)

Re: HP LASERJET 4000 PARALLEL PRINTER - CONNECT TO NETWORK

A few possible options.

1. Share the printer out on the network from the PC

2. Buy a "Wireless Parallel Print Server" (~$70).  I only see one brand.  Should be easy to find with a web search.

3. Buy a router with a build in print server.  It will have a USB port for the printer.  Also purchase a USB to parallel cable.  (I hope that this would work.  Haven't tried it.)

4. Replace the EIO card in the printer with Wireless EIO card (~$300).

5. Get an old PC, connect it to both the network (wired ro wireless) and the printer and use it as a print server.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
Honor Student
pandalover
Message 3 of 6 (283 Views)

Can you elaborate as I'm not that tech savvy but have a similar issue.  I have an HP Laserjet 2100M that I love as a "workhorse" printer.  I previously had this printer and an Epson Stylus Photo R800 "networked" so I could print to either from my MAC.  I recently moved from CT to FL and would like to replicate the network.  In retrospect, I think my network was facilitated by the HP printer being connected directly to an old PC which must have been like the printer server you described.  The old PC did not move to FL so I now have a MAC, a cable modem, an Airport router and a new PC laptop that I would like to connect.  Plus, I'm looking to buy an all-in-one to have the functionality that I had before the move (a separate fax machine and an HP printer-scanner-copier that also didn't make the move.  (As an aside, I was looking at the HP 8600 to buy and was concerned as it doesn't say it supports Windows 8 so I have to find something else.)  

Sorry for beng so longwinded but I'm at a loss for which direction to go and recognize I'm in over my head but beleive what I want to do can be done (I just don't kow how)

Grad Student
TreeFrog
Message 4 of 6 (280 Views)

If you have an open ethernet port on the Airport router, then you could go the seperate ethernet/parallel print server.  Just do a Amazon search for "parallel print server".  You will get several choices.  You might even be able to find on at a local thrift store.  Setup should be easy.  Plug it in and have your Mac add a printer.  It should be listed.

Feel free to reply back if you have a question about a specific printer server device.

Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
Honor Student
pandalover
Message 5 of 6 (277 Views)

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I looked at Amazon and there are a number of them -- one called Tp-Link TL-PS110 Single PArallel Port Ethernet Print Server sounds ike it would address hooking up my HP 2100 but I'm not sure how I would connect the Epson printer.  I do have a USB hub - would that work?  I've also been stymied by whether or not there are network settings to change.

Grad Student
TreeFrog
Message 6 of 6 (274 Views)

I looked up the Epson printer.  It looks like it is USB or Firewire.  To get it on the network you would need a USB-network print server.

You might be able to share the Epson from the Mac.  I'm a Mac person, so I'm not sure.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation