Question

Honor Student
DigitalDesign
Message 1 of 4 (602 Views)

HP LaerJet Pro 400 Color, Mac - How to Lock on Wi-Fi Network

HP LaerJet Pro 400 Color, Mac

How do I lock the printer on the Wi-Fi network.

When I look at the drop down menu on my Mac (10.7.5) my HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color Printer appears on the Wi-Fi networks but it does not have the lock symbol next to the product name.

What do I need to do to lock my HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color Printer?

Thank you

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 2 of 4 (578 Views)

Re: HP LaerJet Pro 400 Color, Mac - How to Lock on Wi-Fi Network

Not sure what you mean to 'lock it in a wifi network', so please explain.  Do you mean how to you connect your wireless printer to a specific SSID on your network?

Download the user guide here: 

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&contentType=Support...

On page 43 explains wireless connection.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
Honor Student
DigitalDesign
Message 3 of 4 (572 Views)

Hi Sabretooth04,

Thank for the link to the HP LaserJet Pro 300/400 Color User Guide. I have already downloaded the PDF of the User Guide and have it safely stored in the "Documents" folder on my main hard drive. I have made searches within the document looking for information about securing the wireless WiFi connection on the HP LaserJet Pro 300/400 Color. I have not found the answer I was looking for.

You directed me to page 43 in the HP LaserJet Pro 300/400 Color User Guide (document number c02663889). Unfortunetely those instructions are for installing a Windows wireless network. I do not have a Windows computer. I have an Apple iMac computer. I apologize for not being clear enough about the computer I'm using.

My Apple iMac shows me all the Wi-Fi networks that are within range of my Apple iMac. Most of the networks are password protected / secure / locked (meaning next to the name of the newtwork there is a padlock symbol) My HP 64 LaserJet 400 Color appears in the list of Wi-Fi networks and it is not secure or does not have a padlock symbol next to the name (HP 64 LaserJet 400 Color). This tells me that anyone within the range of the printer could wirelessly send a document to my printer to be printed. I don't kow why someone would want to do that but my experience is there are evil people that don't have anything better to do than cause disruption and mayhem and an unlocked printer is an invitation to send a 250 page document to my unsecured/not password protected/unlocked HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color Printer and use up all my paper and towner.

So I do I secure my HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color Printer with a password so someone cannot access the printer wirelessly and print a 250 page document when I'm not home?

Thank you.

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 4 of 4 (567 Views)

Please explain your network configuration and connections.  You have a Mac, a router and a printer (wireless).   As long as your router has wireless encryption set, your printer will prompt you for the password and you are connected and secured. 

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation