HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
09-06-2011 09:15 AM
1. I have recently upgraded the OS on my laptop cumputer to Windows 7 SP-1 Ultimate to make it compatible with my desktop.
2. I run a ethernet/wireless network and I have 3 printers attached to the network:
(a) an HP 1018 attached to my desktop and have no problems printing from it;
(b) A second HP 1018 attached to a printserver (Belkin Home Base Control Center (Software version 1.0.0. SKUPTP Driver 22.214.171.124). The Belkin Control Center is attached to my network wirelessly. I have no problem printinting through this printer from my desktop. Nor did I have problems printing through this printserver when my laptop was running Vista Ultimate SP3;
(c) a Photosmart all-in-one C7280 printer attached to my network wirelessly. I have no problem printing from this printer either from my desktop OR my laptop regardless of operating system.
3. When my laptop was running Windows Vista Ultimate and my desktop was on Windows 7, the laptop was able to print through my desktop to the USB HP LaserJet 1018 as well as the HP LaserJet attached to the Belkin Home Base Control Center. At no time has my laptop had problems printing to the HP Photosmart printer.
4.When I upgraded my laptop's OS to Windows 7 SP1 and joined both the desktop and the laptop through homegroup networking, however, I have experienced the following problems:
(a) When the laptop attempts to print through the USB-connected HP LAserJet attached to my desktop, the action is recognised by both computers i.e., one computer printer status indicates that the print job is spooling to the USB printer; the printer indicater on my desktop indicates that the printjob is printing. However, nothing gets printed and the job is suspended.
When I try to cancel the printjob, both print status indicators tells me that the file is being deleted. However, it remains in that state even after a restart of both my computers.
I am unable to cancel the job -and unable to print directly from my host desktop computer- until I physically delete the print device, turn off the printer and restart the computer.
(b) The Belkin Home Base Center on my laptop recognises that the second HP laserJet printer is attached to it and will indicate the fact and ask me if I want to load the print driver. When I indicate yes, the laptop attempts to load the driver, but hangs up while doing so. When I cancel the request and proceed to load the print driver on my laptop directly, the device appears as "Unspecified" rather than a printer on my device manager and I am unable to print from either my laptop or my desktop. Again, I need to delete the devices from both my desktop and laptop and restart just so that I can print from my desktop.
4. As indicated above, printing to and through my Photosmart C7280 wireless printer is fine whether I try from my desktop or laptop. Also, I am able to use my Cannon LiDe 500F scanner, that is also attached to the Belkin Home Base Center from both the desktop and laptop.
1. HP LaserJet 1018 printers can be shared between a desktop running Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate and a laptop running Vista SP3 Ultimate on a local network.
2. The Windows 7 desktop and the Vista laptop can both share an HP 1018 printer attached to a Belkin Home Base Center printserver
3. When the laptop is upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate and joined to the desktop through Homegroup networking, the laptop can no longer print through the HP1018 printer attached to the desktop, and any attempts to do so will freeze the printer so that not even the desktop can use it unless the device is removed and restarted on the desktop.
4. Both the desktop and laptop computers can communicate with the Belkin Home Base Center printserver and activate a Cannon scanner also attached to this printserver. The desktop can also print through a second HP 1018 printer attached to this printserver. However, when the laptop attempts to print through the printserver, the print job freezes on both the desktop and laptop computers.
5. Regardless of operating system or method of being networked, both the desktop and the laptop are able to print through a Photosmart C7280 printer.
What appears to be the incompatibility between HP LaserJet 1018 printers and Homegroup networking, and how can it be resolved?