Question

Top Student
canfordcjc
Message 1 of 13 (8,989 Views)

HP LaserJet 1320 in mixed Windows 7/XP environment

I have just replaced my desktop with a Windows 7 64 bit machine.  It is the host for the HP LaserJet.  The printer installed automatically into the Windows 7 environment, but I can't connect to the printer over the LAN from my Thinkpad running XP. 

I understand I need to obtain 32 bit drivers for the printer, and install them on the Win7 host.  But I can't find drivers for the HP 1320 Universal Printing PCL 5 printer.  Microsoft's site links to the HP support site.  The HP support site says there aren't any drivers for the HP 1320.

How can I configure my wonderfully trusty HP LaserJet 1320 so that I may access it over the LAN from my Thinkpad running XP (32 bit)?

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 2 of 13 (8,954 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 1320 in mixed Windows 7/XP environment

I understand I need to obtain 32 bit drivers for the printer, and install them on the Win7 host.

No, you need a 32bit printer driver for the XP machine. The printer has to work on the 64bit machine and it does. Then you have to add the printer (as a network one) on the XP machine so you have to use a 32bit driver for XP.

http://www.siliconguide.com/drivers/device/608/

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Top Student
canfordcjc
Message 3 of 13 (8,952 Views)

My IBM Thinkpad running XP SP3 used to see and use the HP 1320 LaserJet printer just fine, when it was attached to an XP machine.  Now that the printer is attached to a Win7 64 bit machine, I cannot install a compatible driver on the Thinkpad running XP.

I have followed your instructions for new drivers for the Thinkpad running XP, and when I go then to add the printer to the Thinkpad, the error message says (the server doesn't have the correct print driver" even though I have clicked on the HPc 1320d.inf file in the directory containing the new print drivers per your instructions.

I have gone through a similar exercise before.  The error message always points to the server's  print driver.  Printing works just fine from the Win7 machine (and, once again, used to work just fine from the Thinkpad).  HP's driver support site says there are no Win 7 drivers for 64 or 32 bit machines. 

I need to be able to print from my Thinkpad.  What can I try next?

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 4 of 13 (8,951 Views)

Is the printer driver on the Windows 7 machine digitally signed?? 

Similar problem on Vista x64: 

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/171311-cant-print-vista-through-xp-driver-not-installed.html

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Top Student
canfordcjc
Message 5 of 13 (8,948 Views)

How do I tell if the printer's driver on the Win 7 64 bit machine is digitally signed?  It installed automatically when I booted up the new PC and plugged in the HP LaserJet 1320.

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 6 of 13 (8,944 Views)

It's in the properties of the driver. I have seen some posts when users got the same error and it caused an unsigned driver. I prefer connecting a printer to a router directly no to a computer and then share it on a network. As you can see it causes unnecessary troubles.

Top Student
canfordcjc
Message 7 of 13 (8,939 Views)

I concur that a router-connected printer is ideal, but I've invested in this HP LaserJet that's done me proud for several years.  It has lots of life left in it, and I should be able to network it in the mixed environment.  It networked just fine when three computers were running XP.  I only am running into problems now that it's plugged into a computer running the 64 bit Windows 7.  I'm sure there must be a solution, but no one has been able to help me find it yet.  I do not want to buy a new printer when this simply must be soluble.  It doesn't make any sense at all that I can't get an x86 driver for the HP 1320 so that I can install same on the Windows 7 machine.  And then use the printer from the XP machine.

How does one tell if a driver is signed, or unsigned?

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 8 of 13 (8,934 Views)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+find+if+a+driver+is+digitally+signe...

How about a print server?? I have bought an HP network print adapter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-HP-USB-Network-Print-Server-Adapter-Q6275A-New-/330589578102?pt=L...

I was happy with the printer so I bought the print server to make it as a network printer..

This above is a suggestion and might be also quicker and more efficient because you don't need to have the desktop powered on for printing from other computers on the network..

Top Student
canfordcjc
Message 9 of 13 (8,931 Views)

Thank you for the link re how to find out if my driver has a digital signature. 

The Microsoft "universal" driver is stored in \windows\system32\spool\x64\3\mui according to the printer properties "about" tab and there are no files with a xxx.sys file extension.  The folder is full of dll files, a help file and a couple of ini files that show the drivers for the Epson printer are also stored in the same folder.

So I cannot check to see if the driver has a digital signature.  The driver came from Microsoft, and appears to be a generic "universal print" driver for HP computers.  It does support the two-sided printing for the HP 1320.

I remain stuck -- unable to source out any x86 drivers for the HP 1320.  Major problem.

Top Student
canfordcjc
Message 10 of 13 (8,917 Views)

With a location for the universal print driver (provided by a member of the Microsoft forum community), I was able to solve the problem. 

Hewlett Packard should modify its driver web site so that checking for Windows 7 drivers for the HP 1320 points to the Universal Print Driver link.

Let me restate the issue so that others who may have the same problem can also resolve their problem.

Problem:  replaced XP desktop with Win 7 64 bit desktop.  HP 1320 printer attached to this desktop.  Win 7 desktop connected via LAN to XP Thinkpad.  Thinkpad could use the HP 1320 network-connected printer when the desktop was an XP machine, and could not use it when the desktop was replaced with the Win 7 64 bit desktop.  Win 7 automatically added the HP 1320 to the Win 7 machine using PCL5 Universal Print Driver.

In attempting to "add printer" to the XP Thinkpad, I kept getting an error message that "server doesn't have the correct print driver" and I had no luck successfully installing a print driver on the (Win 7) server.

I tried all solutions suggested in this thread, most of which involve a link to HP's print driver site.  This HP site says there are no Windows 7 print drivers for the HP 1320, as it is automatically recognized by Win 7 without special drivers.

Resolution: 

Follow the link supplied by a Microsoft forum member which yields a Universal Print Driver PCL 5 set for XP and for 64 bit and 32 bit Windows 7.  Note this is an HP link, and HP needs to update its various pages to point to this link.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=4157320&locale=en_US&...

I first tried to install the 32 bit Windows 7 print driver on the new Win 7 desktop.  That did not work.  (remember, the error message said the server's  print driver is not correct)  Then I used the same link and moved to the Thinkpad, installing the XP version of the Universal Print Driver PCL5 set.  I got an error message, but the installation did work.  I can now print with full functionality (two sided printing, etc) from both the Windows 7 desktop (printing locally) and the XP Thinkpad (printing via the LAN).  Thank you "smittychat."  This has taken me a week. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation