Question

Honor Student
BullseyeTGT
Message 1 of 4 (14,484 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP LaserJet P1606dn IP Configuration Issue

I have an HP LaserJet P1606dn, brand new and fresh out of the box. I have already set it up to print via USB from a test laptop, and now  I am trying to configure it for network printing. My challenge is that the default IP address (according to the Self Test/Device Configuration page) is 0.0.0.0. Internet Explorer does not recognize that as a valid address, and I cannot change the settings on my computer (Windows XP, with a Broadcom 570x Gigabit network card) to get onto a 0.0.0 subnet. This means that I cannot get to the webpage on the embedded web server to change the IP address to something suitable for the network.

I cannot ping 0.0.0.0 - I get an error of "Destination specified is invalid." I have attempted to connect to 0.0.0.0 both through a switch connected to a desktop and through a crossover cable connected directly to my laptop, both with no success. With the crossover cable, the network lights on the printer are green and orange (normal communication), but the lights on my laptop are dark orange (bad connection) and blinking orange (for communication). With the switch connection, the network lights on the laptop are green and orange, and the desktop can communicate to other devices on the network. There is no antivirus or other software installed on the laptop that would interfere with network connections.

Any guidance you can provide to connect to 0.0.0.0 through a web browser, or change the printer IP address completely, is appreciated.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 2 of 4 (14,478 Views)

HP LaserJet P1606dn IP Configuration Issue

There is no way to connect to that IP. That IP means that the printer just isn't connected to any network. Do you have the Ethernet cable connected to the printer? If it is connected, do you have the DHCP enabled in your router?
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
BullseyeTGT
Message 3 of 4 (14,465 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet P1606dn IP Configuration Issue

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the response! The issue was the cable. The page showing "0.0.0.0" was printed before the printer was connected to the network. After I connected it and printed a fresh page, it showed a new IP address that I could actually connect to. When I have previously worked with similar devices, they usually have a default address independent of network status. Obviously this was not the case here.

Just as a future note on the forum - I actually solved it about half an hour after posting my original post. When I went back to make a note on the result, I could not find it through search, page history, or scrolling through recent issues. The system didn't even let me log in to see what I had posted! I could have saved you some time had that functionality been more stable.

Thanks again for your help!

Student
pobish
Message 4 of 4 (8,507 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet P1606dn IP Configuration Issue

[ Edited ]

have same problem and dhcp router/switch not enabled . Any solution

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation