Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I cannot connect to a ATT uverse network with this printer. Trying to install using a Mac get me no where. I am feeling misled about this printer, nothing works

HP Recommended

Trying to help a friend set up the printer on the wireless network.  It is currently about 1 ft away from the router.

Everything seems to go smooth, it says it the printer is connected to the network, but the setup application cannot connect to the printer and the only way out is to cancel.  When I print out the configuration of the printer it is connected to the 192.168.2.x network.

The wireless network is 192.168.0.x

When I look at the router log the printer is connected as 192.168.0.103

Why would the printer indicate it is connected to the 192.168.2.x network?

I ran the HP Application Printer Doctor which didn't give me any help at all.

I even tried manually setting up a New Printer connected to 192.168.0.103 which goes smoothly, I assign the driver off the Printer setup disk, but it fails to print a test page.

Have you any ideas about what could be going on.  I'm getting a little frustrated.

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone,

Follow the steps below.

1. Uninstall the printer from the computer using the Add/Remove programs in Contol Panel.

2. Download the software and driver for your OS at the link below.

3. Follow Method two: Standard connection using a USB cable

If your wireless router does not support WiFi-Protected Setup (WPS), you can use this method to set up the product on a wireless network. Using a USB cable to transfer settings makes setting up a wireless connection easier. After the setup is complete, disconnect the USB cable.
4. When you get to the connection type screen chose wireless, and then follow the on screen instructions to complete the USB setup of wireless.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

I followed the above instructions and got exactly the same thing as when using the disk that was provided with the printer.

When the setup program is connecting the printer to the wireless network I get the message.

The printer was able to successfully connect to the wireless network using the wireless credentials provided.  However, this computer is unable to communicate with the printer.

Please verify that the printer is on the same network as this computer and, if using WEP, verify that the credentials were entered correctly and try again.

The Winodws XP computer I am using is connected to the router at 192.168.0.103.  The router is at 192.168.0.1.  The wireless encryption is set to None.  I cannot see the printer in the DHCP assignment table.

Clicking on the link that says Access  your product's Embedded Web Pages gives me the following:

802.11b/g/n Wireless Enabled

Infrastructure (Using an access point, gateway or Base Station...) radio button is selected

The current Network Name (SSID): is correct

The Authentication Security Mode is set to Open System (no authentication)

Printing the wireless configuration on the printer (by pressing the wireless and cancel button gives:

Host Name = NPI566D76

Hardware Address = (valid MAC)

Total Packets Received = 125

Bad Packets Received = 0

Total Packets Transmitted = 94

IPv4 Address = 192.168.2.149

IP Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

IP Default Gateway = 192.168.2.1

Bonjour Name = HP Laser Jet Professional P 1102w

IP Configured by = DHCP

DHCP/BOOTP Server = 192.168.2.1

WINS Server = 0.0.0.0

IPv6 .... All blank since on IPv4 network

802.11b/g/n Wireless:

Status = Enabled

Network Name (SSID) = (our SSID for the router)

Authentication = None (Open)

Direct Print = Off

Direct Print Name (SSID) = HP-Print-76-LaserJet 1102

Channel: = 6

IPv4 Address = 192.168.223.1

The printer configuration says to open up the web browser and type 192.168.2.149 and press Enter ... Doesn't work (not surprising since the computer isn't on that network)

A question is that why if my router is set to 192.168.0.x  why would the printer be set to 192.168.2.x ?

If I abort the installation process and try to connect to an already configured wireless printer setup is unable to find a printer.

I can connect to the printer and print if I hook up to the USB cable ... which is not a desired solution since it was purchaced since it was wireless.

Installing and running the HP Print and Scanner Doctor gives me no help as it can't find any printers to connect to (the printer has only been installed as a wireless printer).

If I install the printer as a USB connection the HP Print and Scanner Doctor finds it on a USB port

Still rather frustrated with the entire installation process.

HP Recommended

Hi Martin29549,

It appears the printer has saved a previous IP address from an old network you may have had. Follow the steps below to reset defaults on the printer, and then try installing the printer again using the USB setup of wireless method.

Restore the factory-set default settings
Follow these steps to restore the product's factory default settings. These steps do not reset page counts, service IDs, or other static product values.
CAUTION:These steps will reset the product's current wireless settings to factory-set default settings. Any custom settings will be lost, and you will need to reconfigure the product's wireless settings.
  1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn off the product.
  2. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
    The product begins to initialize.
  3. While the product initializes, press and hold the Cancel button ( ) and the Wireless button ( ) for 10 to 15 seconds, and then release both buttons.
    NOTE:LED lights blink until both buttons are released.
    The factory default settings are restored.
I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
I have reset it twice and it always goes back to the same configuration

I have updated the firmware with no solution

I have enabled direct printing and manually set up a port. Again no solution.
HP Recommended

Hi Martin29549,

You will be unable to install this printer until you are able to get them both on the same network. Resetting the defaults should have reset the wireless connection. Try the steps below to reset the network connection, and then try setting up the printer again using the USB setup of wireless method. Let me know what you find out?

1. Press and hold the wireless button until it turns off

2. Power cycle the printer

3. Reinstall the printer

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I am facing similar problem for long time. 

After power recycle and resetting the status is as follows:

IP 4 addr :0.0.0.0

Subnet mask : 0.0.0.0

IP Default gateway : 0.0.0.0

IP Configured by : Manual

DHCP / BootP Server :0.0.0.0

WINS Server : 0.0.0.0

802.1b/g Wireless

Status = Enabled

Communication Mode = Infrastructure

Network Name (SSID) = WHAM ( this is correct SSID of my router )

Authentication = WEP

While installing wireless connection, I am getting following message:

Wireless Connection Failure:

The printer was able to successfully connect to the wireless network using the wireless credentials provided. However, this computer is unable to communicate with the printer.

Please verify that the printer is on the same network as this computer and, if using WEP, verify that the credentials were entered correctly and try again.

Firmware Date is  = 20120814

Since begning the problem with this printer was that it used to loose it's wireless configuration if it was switched off. However, I was able to restore wireless connection using the HP software. 

After firmware upgrade, it become very unpredictable. Last time I tried with different computers, and it worked with one. 

One first place, Printer should not loose its configuration if power is switched off. Second, the wireless software should be properly tested for bugs.  Overall it is very frustrating experience.

HP Recommended

@pcwizard wrote:

Hi Martin29549,

You will be unable to install this printer until you are able to get them both on the same network. Resetting the defaults should have reset the wireless connection. Try the steps below to reset the network connection, and then try setting up the printer again using the USB setup of wireless method. Let me know what you find out?

1. Press and hold the wireless button until it turns off

2. Power cycle the printer

3. Reinstall the printer

According to the documentation it was press the Wireless and Cancel at the same time and that did reset the Network configuration all to 0.0.0.0.  Power cycling and reinstalling the printer resulted in the same configuration on the 192.168.2.x network while the computer is on the 192.168.0.x network.  

I tried pretty much everything possible before posting to the message board.  I am a firmware engineer by trade specializing in communciation systems, so an not just an average user.

So pcwizard ... a question for you ... is there anyway to get into the printer via the wired USB connection to be able to set the wireless configuration manually?  I know that hardware manufacturers are trying to make everything as plug and play as possible, but when things go wrong there should be able to be a manual method to set things.  Even Windows network configuration gives you the option to override the automatic setting and put things in yourself.

Martin

HP Recommended

Hi Martin29549,

Do you have more than one network setup in your home?

If your router has a WPS button have you tried using this method to get the printer connected to your router?

Use one of the following methods to connect to the wireless network.

Method one: Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)
If your wireless router supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), this is the simplest way to set up the printer on a wireless network.
NOTE:This method requires a WPS-enabled wireless router to connect to the printer.
  1. Press the WPS button on your wireless router.
  2. On the printer control panel, press the Wireless button ( ). The wireless light starts to blink.
  3. Wait up to two minutes while the printer establishes a network connection with the wireless router.
    NOTE:If the WiFi-Protected Setup (WPS) method is not successful, try another connection method.

Follow the steps in the document below.

HP printer not found during driver setup (Windows, Mac)

If you are still unable to get this printer connected to the correct network you will want to call our technical support at 800-474-6836. They can log into your system to see what is going on with your approval. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

HP Out of Warranty Support Options for Select HP Consumer Printers

I am an HP employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.