Question

Honor Student
igmt218
Message 1 of 9 (4,716 Views)

HP Laserjet P1102W not connecting to wireless network

Hi,

yesterday I tried to install my new Laserjet P1102W with wireless capabilities. The first setup went fine and I was able to print wireless from my pc. But when the printer went in sleep mode I had to redo the wireless setup to get it connected.

So I searched for a possible firmware update on the Ducth HP site, found the lastest firmware (20110826) and followed the instruction to upgrade it. But the upgrade took more than 20 minutes, and th lights on the printer didn't blink. So I pressed the power button again to wake it up, printed a selftest page and did see that the firmware was updated.

But then the problems started, the printer only gets a 169. ip address while I've setup the wireless correctly (tried manual and automatic setup) while I expect it to get a 192. address. And ofcourse I cannot print anymore via the wireless connection.

So I tried to find an older firmware to put back on the printer, but with no luck. Also tried to re-apply the latest firmware, but then I get the message that the printer is already up to date.

Is there a possiblility to force the firmware update to run again? Or can I get an older firmware from HP?

Best regards

Rob

Professor
Picardje
Message 2 of 9 (4,699 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet P1102W not connecting to wireless network

Hi,

As far as i know you cannot downgrade firmware on the printer. What you could try is trying to connect it adhoc to the compouter so directly using wifi, to rule out blockage in the router. You will also get a 169 adres but should be able to use the unit as its directly connected.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Honor Student
igmt218
Message 3 of 9 (4,696 Views)

Hi Picardje,

thanks for the prompt reply but that isn't working either.

Professor
Picardje
Message 4 of 9 (4,695 Views)

Hi,

can you connect it, but is it not printing or wont it even connect? If it does connect open your browser and input the ip adres of the printer, What happens if you try that?

Honor Student
igmt218
Message 5 of 9 (4,661 Views)

Hi,

it says it is connected (blue light on the printer), but it will not get an ip address not from the router, not from my pc (ad hoc).

So I need to find a way to force the firware upgrade to start again.

Regards

Rob

Professor
Picardje
Message 6 of 9 (4,659 Views)

Be sure to check it, adhoc to the computer it should get a 169 adres, thats normal, if its stays on 0.0.0.0 thats an issue

Honor Student
anaconda
Message 7 of 9 (2,134 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem, I was able to connect into my wireless network when I installed the printer (using the CD that came with it) and was able to print but when I turned off the printer and turned it back on  it won't connect to my computer

and my wireless network.  I did the same thing you did reinstall but get that 169 IP address.  Believe me I was on the phone with the Geek Squad tech for almost 2 hours and the problem was not solved so he told me to just keep the printer on so I don't lose connection.  Same thing with the 1st HP tech support who tried to help me.  He even changed something in my internet security but did not solve the problem at all.  The second HP tech support worked on it too and finally told me that it could be my router.  I have an old Linksys wireless G router so I decided to buy a new router and bought the Netgear N600 WNDR34000v2 and reinstall the printer and everything worked fine.  Also before you install the printer driver be sure to uninstall the printer program (go to Control Panel-Programs and Features) and also disable your firewall because it could also cause problems in the installation.  Now all my 5 computers in my network are using the printer and I can turn it on and off with no problems at all in printing.

Student
norookie
Message 8 of 9 (1,299 Views)

received unit today with no instructions what so ever

Honor Student
Broncofan1
Message 9 of 9 (514 Views)

My printer self test IP address is 0.0.0.0.

It gives me a error "unable to connect to the wireless router"

what can i do ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation