Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I just got the HP Laserjet 200 Pro M251n and the printer won't wake up from "Standby mode is on". To be more exact, it does wake up for a period of about 30 mins immediately after the going into standby mode, but then afterwards it will not.

EDIT

After further testing, there is some inconsistency: sometimes there is no period immediately after moving to standby when the the printer will wake up. My latest test reveals that the printer cannot be woken up shortly after it has moved into standby.

I have to switch off the power and and switch it back on again to get it to print.

The firmware version is 20140521 and I am using Ubuntu Studio Linux 14.04 duel booting with Windows 7, both 64 bit versions. I mainly use Linux.  There is a Netgear switch in the wired network in my home linking to a Virginmedia (ISP) Superhub that handles wired and wireless conections.

The printer menu reports that there are no printer updates available.

Any advice appreciated.

HP Recommended

just update to the latest printer firmware this should solve the problem I've tested it once after fw upgrade but we replaced the printer anyway and is now only standby option @ work

HP Recommended

Thanks  for the reply.

I eventually found the firmware update  and have now upgraded it. End of problem.

HP Recommended

Hi @ChrisEUK,

Thanks for letting me know that the issue is now resolved.

{Happy Dance :smileyvery-happy:}

Have a wonderful day!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Once again - another HP Printer product that goes into Sleep mode - only to be woken - with a full reboot.

Come on HP - Troll the INternet - this problem is rampant - and the simple suggestions you give - don't help.

My guess is 99% of your users with the problem will NEVER buy another HP Product.  

Really disappointed!  

My printer was over $300!

HP Recommended

I have a M251n and suffered the same frustration.  But, there's a firmware fix out now (came out in December 2014 I think).  So, just update the firmware and it should operate as expected.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem. I've updated the firmware (20150212) and the problem persists.  I don't have to turn the printer off and back on, simply turning the wifi off and back on will wake it up, still it's pretty irritating. Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

New printer fixed it for me! No way should a bug like this be making it in main stream from a company like HP. Switched to a Lexmark Colour Laser and it's been fantastic.

Plasma

HP Recommended

Hello,

For those of you are still having issues after running the firmware update, please Contact HP Support for further assistance. Fill in the model number and the form to receive a case number for quicker assistance.

Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Did you ever get a solution?  I'm having the same problem with the Laserjet 200 color MFP M276nw.  After the last firmware upgrade, everything is ok if the LCD screen goes off soon after printing.  If the LCD screen stays on, I can't print.  The printer then has to be restarted.  Very annoying.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.