Question

Honor Student
JeffDooz
Message 1 of 6 (2,642 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Network Devices Support service will not start

Product: HP Photosmart Premium All-in-one (C309g)

Errors:

When running the "Add Device" portion of set up to add the printer to my PC so it can be accessed wirelessly this pops up in the back ground: "The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

The result of the above process is the following message in the HP installer screen: "The HP software that enables networking is not responding. Cancel the installation and restart the PC."

As you may guess, I've had this printer for a while couple/few years at least, and I've been running it wireleslly for quite some time.

The printer is active on my wireless network, printing Wireless Network Test Report from the printer proves this. I can also access the printer's webpage by entering its IP in a web browser.

We first perceived the issue when HP Solution Center reported that the Printer was no longer connected. And it suggested doing something with the install, which sent me down the road of unintalls and installs.

I've run the HP Print and Scan Doctor, which tells me the printer is installed for use via USB, but the networked instance is not installed.

I still have the orginal instal CD for this printer. Running setup off the root of the CD, i get the "Later Version already installed" or something to that extent.  I've also downloaded the most recent Basic and Full Feature Instals from HP site.

I've used Revo Uninstaller to do my uninstalls and I've run CCleaner after all the apps are gone from the program list.

I've read somewhere that this is related to the "HP Network Devices Support" service.

In computer management I can see that its not running, and it is set to start "Automatically (Delayed Start)"

When I try to start this service I get this: "Windows could not start the HP Network Devices Support service on local computer Error 2: They system could not find the file specified"

Somethings that have been done on this machine recently, i'm not sure when the Printer problem started...

Installed Quicken 2013

Installed iTunes

Changed my home network from Public to private on this machine so I could set up some media servers.

I've check through all the quarantined files of my antivirus and there didn't seem to be any HP files in there.

I'm  hoping my issue is in fact this service, and somehow replacing the missing file its refferencing will fix it all.

My next step is to uninstall everything again, and make sure that service drops out of the list too, then reinstall from HP download.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 2 of 6 (2,610 Views)

[ Edited ]

I would suggest using the software scrubber built into the install to clean everything out. The steps below will walk you through it.  Before doing step 10 from a CD or step 15 from a download, check the both program files folder to make sure that the HP folders get deleted.

From original printer installation CD:

1. Insert CD into drive, and then cancel the installer

2. Open My Computer, and then right click on the CD drive and chose open

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. Run the uninstall_ L4.bat for non-HP computers.  For HP computers run the Uninstall_L3.bat

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

9. Use this tool to clean the registry.  Note: This utility is not HP sponsored or approved.  HP and I are not responsible for damages or loss of data caused by the utility.  This step is optional.   You can skip it if you want.

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?part=dl-6271865&subj=dl&tag=b...

10. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-73652-3&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

11. Run the download to reinstall the printer

From a download:

1. Run disk cleanup on your computer

2. Download and run the software and drivers below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-73652-3&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

3. Once the download is done extracting, cancel the download.

4. Click the start menu.

5. Click Run.

6. Type %temp% in the run field

7. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

8. Open folder Util

9. Open folder CCC

10. Run the uninstall_ L4.bat for non-HP computers.  For HP computers run the Uninstall_L3.bat

11. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

12. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

13. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

14. Use this tool to clean the system and registry.  Note: This utility is not HP sponsored or approved.  HP and I are not responsible for damages or loss of data caused by the utility.  This step is optional.   You can skip it if you want.

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?part=dl-6271865&subj=dl&tag=b...

15. Download the full feature software and drivers

16. Run the download to reinstall the printer

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
JeffDooz
Message 3 of 6 (2,578 Views)

Re: HP Network Devices Support service will not start

I took the "From a download" path:

Following the above instructions has gotten me further than I have managed on my own. Solution Center is recognizing the printer now. 

I'm thinking my problem the past several Uninstall/Install cycles was at least in part related to my having the original Install CD in the drive. My first round of running the above instructions, installing from Download, not the CD, I noticed the CD was spinning up, so I quick ejected it which thru an error. I thought that strange and worth of note.

I'm going to give this latest success a couple days to sit before I close my issue out as I don't know what caused the problem to start in the very beginning.

Thanks much for the help.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 4 of 6 (2,576 Views)

No problem. Keep me posted. :smileyhappy:
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
JeffDooz
Message 5 of 6 (2,554 Views)

Re: HP Network Devices Support service will not start

Its been a couple days and Solution Center is still recognizing the printer.
Thanks again for the help. I think I just needed the confidence to pull the trigger on that L4 uninstall.
Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 6 of 6 (2,552 Views)

Not a problem. :smileyhappy:
Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation