HP OfficeJet 7410 Wireless Networking - Adding WPA2 (2877 Views)
Student
DSG11
Message 1 of 7 (2,877 Views)

HP OfficeJet 7410 Wireless Networking - Adding WPA2

My Officejet does not support WPA2, the protocol for my new wireless network.  Is there anyway I can upload new software into the device so I can either make WPA2 the default or make it a selectable option?  My broadband feed and wireless router are not in a convenient location, making a hardwire connection to those for the printer problematic.

Any solutions?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 7 (2,860 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet 7410 Wireless Networking - Adding WPA2

No, sorry, there is no way to update your printer to support WPA2.

Your only choices are a new printer or to change your router to WPA or perhaps a WPA/WPA2 mode.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
mbs76
Message 3 of 7 (2,788 Views)

[ Edited ]

If your router has an option for WPA/WPA2 use that.  If it does not, use WPA2 and use "TKIP or AES" as the encryption method if that's an available option on your wireless router.  On a linksys router these options are available on the wireless security tab on your routers configuration page.

Student
Majoni
Message 4 of 7 (2,300 Views)

EUREKA, i figiured out how to make office jet 7410 work with my Airport Extreme router. I'm not a techy so i'm not clear on the WPA2, WPA...and teh rest. I just know that when i tried to connect my printer to my network it wouldn't accept the network password because my password did not meet the 16 charachter length or 5 character lenght requirment for WEP.

Solution: I created a Guest Network on my wireless network and made it open (no password required). i then went to my 7410 and selected the guest network and because no password was required, it connected. problem solved. Hope this helps. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 7 (2,296 Views)

Uh, well, sort of.  Although your printer is connected to Guest, your computers cannot see Guest from your main network.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
scotty321
Message 6 of 7 (1,707 Views)

[ Edited ]

Several important things to note here:

1. I had the same problem with my HP 1022NW printer. It's a shame that HP doesn't update the firmware inside all of their printers to support modern wireless protocols like WPA2.

2. Instead of trying to force your HP printer to connect to modern WPA2 wireless networks (because it simply won't) or instead of creating a secondary guest network that you can't access from your main wireless network, the easiest solution (outside of throwing away the printer) is to simply use its built-in Ethernet connection to connect to a WiFi bridge or WiFi router. I use the $99 Apple Airport Express in my office. The Airport Express is wirelessly connected to my main WiFi network (which is controlled by an Airport Extreme in the other room), and the Airport Express sits right next to my HP printer. I then plug a very short Ethernet cable from my HP printer to my Airport Express, and voila! Instant wireless printing! I can even use AirPrint (from my iOS devices) to print to my HP printer by installing Printopia on my Mac. It's the perfect wireless solution for all HP printers.

3. For those people who can't reliably extend their WiFi network to accommodate this sort of setup (because their office is too large), I would highly recommend purchasing NetGear PowerLine. This lets you extend your existing Ethernet network using nothing more than the electricity outlets on your wall, and it works 100% perfectly! So you can simply run an Ethernet cable from the HP printer to one PowerLine, and then the 2nd PowerLine sits in an entirely different location and plugs into your WiFi router.

4. After YEARS of trouble getting my HP printer to connect to my WPA2 Wireless Network, and after YEARS of dealing with HP's completely incompetent & basically nonexistent technical support, and after being forced to come up with my own solution (see #2 above) that cost me even more money ($$$), I will NEVER buy another HP product for the rest of my life. Plus, as a computer consultant in the tech industry, I have influenced 200 other businesses to never purchase HP printers either. I have been doing this for the last 5 years. HP's terrible support will eventually be the death of them. People talk, people blog, and people spread the word. My 200 clients have been forbidden by me from purchasing HP printers in their office for the last 5 years. I can't wait for the day when HP goes out of business.

5. The only printers I have bought for my small office over the last 5 years are the Epson WorkForce line of printers. These printers are absolutely amazing, they have AirPrint built into them (so you can print from iOS devices to them), they have remote email printing built into them, they can connect to all modern wireless networks, and Epson keeps them up-to-date with regular firmware updates. Epson also has absolutely amazing OS X support, and they have somewhat decent tech support (especially compared to HP which, as we know, has turned out to be a truly terrible company). For larger offices that need enterprise-level printers, I recommend the Canon ImageRunner line of printers/photocopiers/scanners.

Honor Student
scotty321
Message 7 of 7 (1,702 Views)

[ Edited ]

PrintDoc wrote:

No, sorry, there is no way to update your printer to support WPA2.

Your only choices are a new printer or to change your router to WPA or perhaps a WPA/WPA2 mode.

Some expert you are. Those are not the only choices, as I outlined in my previous post. My solution is far superior. I rest my case about HP's shoddy technical support. You aren't even giving valid technical responses to people on this thread. Unless your job description is to simply get other people to pay money for new HP printers... then you're doing a fine job!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation