Question

Honor Student
NanaSeattle
Message 1 of 3 (1,359 Views)

HP OfficeJet L7590 Need to print from notebook pc on a wireless network. Using Vista & Win7

I have my HP OfficeJet L7590 hooked up via USB to my HP Pavilion Entertainment Desktop PC in a back room of our home. The PC is running Windows Vista.  I am disabled so I prefer to use my HP Pavilion dv7 notebook running Windows 7 from my living room where I can recline and get some relief from chronic pain. However, I often need to print something and I need to be able to remotely access my L7590 in the back room.

I can see that, if both PC's were running Win7, it looks like it would be fairly easy to set up the network but I am having difficulty figuring out how to do it with the two different operating systems.  I ran into a situation where it was asking for a password but I wasn't sure which password it wanted. Is it the password for my wireless router? It appeared to be a Windows password but the one I use to sign on to my notebook PC did not work and I don't remember using a password that it is asking for. Leaving it blank didn't work, either.  Will it lock after multiple tries for security reasons?

I am beginning to regret that I didn't spend a bit more money and get the HP Office Jet that is wireless network ready.

I really need step-by-step instructions for doing the wireless setup with the two different operating systems.  I am fairly knowledgeable with PC's but the older I get the less I know these days.

I would appreciate your help very much.

--Lynn

NanaSeattle
Teacher
f2point8
Message 2 of 3 (1,348 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet L7590 Need to print from notebook pc on a wireless network. Using Vista & Win7

[ Edited ]

Hello Lynn,

Is your network router located near your desktop PC and L7590 officejet?

If so, I would suggest that you connect the L7590 to the router with an ethernet cable(you can also leave your usb cable connected to the desktop). Then you can connect more directly (still through the network) to the L7590 with your dv7 laptop instead of connecting through the desktop.  Since your dv7 is wirelessly connected to the router, and the L7590 is also connected (wired) to the same router, the setup is much easier.

If you want to try this, first download the software from hp.com (click here for the download page).  When you run the installation on your dv7 notebook you will be guided through the steps necessary for connecting to the printer via the network.

Dont forget to reply and let us know how it goes!

Kent G.

I work for Hewlett-Packard
Honor Student
NanaSeattle
Message 3 of 3 (1,332 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet L7590 Need to print from notebook pc on a wireless network. Using Vista & Win7

Yes, the network router is right next to the desktop PC and the L7590. I'll work on this and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

--Lynn

NanaSeattle
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation