Question

Student
BKHodges
Message 1 of 7 (4,696 Views)

HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 - Anyone have a solution for the 8600 freezing up?

I bought this All-In-One for xmass and the initial install went fine.  I've attached it to my wireless network for use by all the PC's/Laptops in my house.  After a couple of weeks, I noticed that the printer connection was lost, and when I tried to scroll through the printer menu, I discovered it was frozen or locked.  I could not even get it to turn off with the power button.  The only way to regain access was to unplug the printer.  Once it's back up, it seems to work for no more than 15-20 minutes, and then locks up again.  I thought it was a faulty machine so I returned it to store for a replacement.  The second printer acted the exact same way.  It worked fine for a couple of weeks and then began freezing up again.  I'm going to return this one and just get my money back if I can't get this resolved. 

I did see another posting about this, but the resolution did not work (re-install software on PC and return printer to factory settings). 

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 2 of 7 (4,664 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 - Anyone have a solution for the 8600 freezing up?

Hi there,

Download and run the HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility located here. It can resolve a lot of issues automatically and give us a better idea of what is going on with the printer. Let us know the results.

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Student
lithar
Message 3 of 7 (4,648 Views)

I'm on my second 8600 within 2 weeks - tonight I stumbled upon a *possible* glitch that may have caused both printers to freeze. I did not have my wireless connection set up but I did have the wireless enabled on the printer - the blue wireless indicator light on the console was flashing. This printer repeatedly froze, requiring the power cord to be disconnected/reconnected to reboot the printer.  At some point I disabled the wireless, using the console menu and the machine no longer froze. WHAT???  When I restarted the wireless and completed the setup, the blue indicator light went solid and...so far no freezes.  I can access the printer via wireless connection and a USB connection on a different computer.   IMO, this should not happen.  I'm thinking if my router goes down, it will cause a wireless connection failure and the printer will freeze - again.  I will test this theory when I feel up to it - but, the frustration of the past couple hours has me very disinterested in screwing with it now - it continues to work so I think I'll go fishing....
AL

Student
jjaynel
Message 4 of 7 (3,697 Views)

My OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus is freezing up too - after only about six weeks of use.  

I've tried running the diagnostics and nothing shows up.  When the printer isn't frozen, everything is fine.  But after 15 minutes it will freeze up again.  (Sounds like this is what's happening to everyone else).  

HP, WHAT SHOULD I DO???????   A printer should last more than six weeks.  

Student
rgw_0123
Message 5 of 7 (2,707 Views)

I had the same problem and disabling the wireless worked (as instructed above by lithar). The printer hasn't frozen since.

Student
Jane-C
Message 6 of 7 (2,502 Views)

I also just started having this problem after only having the printer about three weeks - the printer would start up, work about 30 seconds, and then freeze.  The problem would reoccur even after unplugging the printer.  I had the wireless connection set up, already, but tried resetting it as suggested in one of the other responses.  This *seems* to have solved the problem, for the moment.

Student
EILE3n
Message 7 of 7 (1,520 Views)

This is ridiculous I have had this printer for less than 4 days and I CAN NOT PRINT it doesn't find my wireless network any where I have literally just used it to make copies one day about 45 and to scan 4 letters into my computer I can't understand why IT DOESN:T WORK!!! I have unplugged it and it does N O T H I N G!!! i'm not very happy...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation