Question

Top Student
samcal
Message 1 of 13 (274 Views)

HP Officejet 4680 already installed using Windows 7

I installed my HP officejet 4680 as a wired connection.  When I tried to change it to wireless, I installed the printer CD.  The installation told me my preinter was not compatible and would not let me continue.  Before unistalling and installing it again as a wireless connection and adding the Win7 full driver I wanted to ask if this is the right thing to do?

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 2 of 13 (262 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4680 already installed using Windows 7

Hi samcal,

Is your driver CD version 10 or version 14?  The printer shipped with driver CD version 10 but requires version 14 to be compatible with Windows 7.

If you need to download driver version 14, here is the link.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-88608-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

You will need to uninstall any previous install attempt with the version 10 driver before installing version 14.

I was an HP employee.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
samcal
Message 3 of 13 (260 Views)

I will try your advice and post my results. Thank you!

Top Student
samcal
Message 4 of 13 (258 Views)

Received the following errors during installation of full driver for Windows 7 64bit - Printer rediscovery problems detected. Your PC may not be able to track online status changes of your printer.

If you are using firewall software, verify UDP port 427 is unblocked from your printer at 192.168.0.102 to your PC.

Problems encountered while configuring your printer. You may experience limited functionality such as faxing (if applicable) and accessing the network toolbox.

If you are using firewall software, verify TCP port 9220 is unblocked from your PC to your printer at 192.168.0.102.

Status communication problems detected. Your PC may not be able to retrieve the printer status and ink levels properly.

If you are using firewall software, verify UDP port 161 is unblocked from your PC to your printer at 192.168.0.102.

To fix the issue(s) try to power your printer off and on.

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 5 of 13 (253 Views)

Hi Samcal,

Which firewall are you using?  It sounds like it might be an older version.

All of the message you included here is an indication of software on your computer actively blocking network communication.

I was an HP employee.

Top Student
samcal
Message 6 of 13 (249 Views)

I am using the Windows Firewall -  & MacAfee firewall.   How can I tell what version I am running? I looked in MacAfee and Windows. Also, should I continue to install using USB and try later, Continue to install without connecting to the printer and connect later, or continue with installation and ignore diagnosed errors? 

Top Student
samcal
Message 7 of 13 (243 Views)

I found the McAfee Total Protection version 15.0.294. I just need t find the Windows firewall version.  What versions do you recommend for this printer so I can get this to work wireless?  Thank you for your help so far.

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 8 of 13 (231 Views)

Hi samcal,

Most firewalls can be made to work with the HP software.  The error messages you were seeing was discussing various ports that need to be opened in the firewall to allow the software to communicate with the printer. 

This is a link to an HP document that has instructions for what needs to be done, but the instructions for the changing the firewall are generic.  We don't have a document for that specific version of firewall.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01856593&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3692888

I was an HP employee.

Top Student
samcal
Message 9 of 13 (215 Views)

Thank you for your help.  I added the file paths, unblocked related ports and rebooted. I installed the software and I can print wireless.  What do I need to do to ensure I can FAX and SCAN via wireless?

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 10 of 13 (214 Views)

Hi samcal,

It all works the same way.  Certain ports are used for scanning, some printing etc.

I will look up and post back the ports that are involved.

I was an HP employee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation