Question

Honor Student
WPB123
Message 1 of 19 (2,615 Views)

HP Officejet 6310xi all-in-one printer needs to be wireless

Hello All

HP 6310xi All-n-one printer.  I currently have it connected directly to the main home computer via usb cable.  I would like to be able to make it wireless accessible to two other computers in the house.  One a laptop, the other a desktop in another room.  Can this be done?  A multi-funtion print server?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thx.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 19 (2,614 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6310xi all-in-one printer needs to be wireless

You really can't make it wireless, at least not easily and cheaply.  Even if you could, you would likely only get printing functionality, not scanning or faxing.

The right way to do this is to plug the printer into your wireless router using an Ethernet cable.  It will be connected to the network and have full access to and from all computers on the network, regardless if they connect to the router wired or wirelessly.

Tell me about your network - router brand/model and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc) and I can help.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
WPB123
Message 3 of 19 (2,608 Views)

Wireless modem is "2wire" brand purchased from att.  The laptop has a built in wifi wireless.  The other desktop uses a belkin usb antenna.  These connect to the internet thru this wireless modem. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 19 (2,600 Views)

Look on the back of the 2wire.  Does it have a spare Ethernet port (looks like a big phone jack)?  If so, plug in an Ethernet cable between the 2wire and the printer.  Unplug the USB cable.

Next, run the software in Start > All Programs > Hewlett Packard called something like "Add a Device".  It will find your printer on your network, install the proper software and you will be good to go.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
WPB123
Message 5 of 19 (2,593 Views)

Thx for the help.  I will try this in the next few days and let you know how it works...thx again. 

Honor Student
WPB123
Message 6 of 19 (2,579 Views)

PrintDoc you are the MAN!!!  Your instructions worked like a charm.  Thanks for your help. All three computers are connected to the same printer.  Two via wireless, the other is still hooked up directly via usb cable. 

WPB123

Student
poppatep
Message 7 of 19 (1,508 Views)

How to set both of my  wireless computers to one printer

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 19 (1,501 Views)

Is your printer the OJ 6310?  What operating systems? 

If it is the OJ 6310, see post #2 above.  Once the printer is connected to your wireless router, download and install the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
Student
apachesix
Message 9 of 19 (1,380 Views)

Is it possible to set this print up as a wireless unit? If so, how is it accomplished?

Thanks...

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 19 (1,375 Views)

This is not a wireless printer per-say.  However, it can act exactly like one if you plug it into your router with an Ethernet cable.

Once plugged in all computers can use it, regardless of how the computer is connected.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation