Question

Top Student
Raikkonen_WC
Message 1 of 19 (21,196 Views)

HP Officejet 6500 Installing Problems Windows 7

Hello,

When I triy to install the HP Officejet 6500 on my Windows & desktop, I get a error that setting up te printer failed.

This happens after I select the printer (wired) en select the printer that is found from the list. After that he try's to install it. After 10 seconds I get the Error. I can only select TRY AGAIN or NEXT to install Software. When I pressed Next, he installs the Printer and places an shortcut on my Desktop called "Add Printer". When I use this, I do the same steps as Above, but still I get the same error.

Can anybody help? Already disabled the firewall.

Honor Student
rdvoor
Message 2 of 19 (21,177 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6500 Installing Problems Windows 7

I had a similar problem, not sure if it's the same as yours.  When installing the software it scans for available printers.  I didn't wait for it to finish - when my printer showed up in the list I picked it and went on.  Later I found that the software actually finds TWO printers even though only one is installed.  One printer shows up with port 3910 or something - I believe this is the web interface.  Make sure you picked the correct printer in the drop-down list.

Top Student
Raikkonen_WC
Message 3 of 19 (21,116 Views)

I tried that, and waited for 10 minutes. No other printer showed up. When I click "My printer is not in the list" and I let him search for the IP Address,he finds the same one.

Strange thing is, that I installed the printer on a windows 7 laptop without any problems. The laptop and this PC both run Windows 7 Ultimate.....

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 19 (21,086 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK, make sure that all your firewalls are disabled for the installation process (Windows and your security system's).

If you just cannot get it to work still, do an L3 uninstall.  Look for  \util\ccc\uninstall_l3.bat  on your printer's install CD and run it. This will strip the software from your system very thoroughly.  Then install the software from here.

EDIT by Katie_H (4/1/11): Fixed broken link

I am employed by HP
Student
DiveDiva
Message 5 of 19 (21,002 Views)

Thank you for the install link!  I recently replaced by PC due to the mother board failing and upgraded to Windows 7.  My install disk noted I had to use windows XP or Vista with the HP officejet 6500.  I thought I was going to have to donate the 3 month old printer to charity and purchase a new one!  I followed your link and my installation was successful.  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

Honor Student
oletex
Message 6 of 19 (19,832 Views)

I have tried loading / unloading / L1,L2,L3, MSConfig both Start and services... meatball surgery for HP files in both Win and Dos (Del).. to no avail..

Tried to load the Ver14 coroporate drives which almost worked.. got all software installed only to fail at "installation completion"... just cannot get Solution Center to recognise the HP6500 printer.. keep getting "unplug USB and complete installation" tried that all day yesterday.. no luck.. deleted all HP6500's rebooted and let it re-discover the printer.. Hardware manager reports working ok.. but not Solution Center..

I give up.. I installed without a probelm on 2 Win7 laptops on 32Bit the other 64bit both Win7 Home Preminum no issues at all..but it doesn't work on Win7 Professional desktop..

working in 3rd world africa getting drivers to download is a all day adventure.. no trying to get "basic drivers" which is now up to 57 our 118mb's.. in only 3 hrs.. yeppee.. what a load of bullocks.

Honor Student
DaSquip
Message 7 of 19 (19,068 Views)

I recently purchased an HP P6597C desktop (AMD quad) running Windows 7 Home Premium, and hard-wired it to my D-Link (G) router.  I do not have wireless on this desktop.  I already had an OfficeJet 6500 E709n running wireless in my home network, which includes an HP Vista Laptop and an HP XP Laptop.   I was pleasantly surprised when the 6500 worked with the P6597C, even though the printer is wireless and the desktop is not.

However, I applied an update to the printer support on the desktop, which I believe came from HP, and now I cannot print from the desktop anymore!  I believe someone in another forum indicated he has seen that.  This suggests that in other posts on this forum, it depends on the updates applied as to whether the 6500 works with Windows 7.

I went to HP's site and downloaded the newest 6500 driver, and I now face the same problem someone else has hit, where the install fails.  I also tried removing the 6500, hard-wiring it to my router, and reinstalling, but get the same error on the reinstall, but the 6500 still works on the Vista Laptop.

Honor Student
DaSquip
Message 8 of 19 (19,058 Views)

Correction!  I fiddled once more with my Anti-Virus, removed the 6500, and added it again, and it now works -- via the hard-wire, I think!

Student
brwurster01
Message 9 of 19 (13,694 Views)

We have a new desktop computer with Windows 7. We have a HP Officeject 6500, which we have had for the past (2) years. We we try to download the Starter CD it states that it will only accept Windows XP. How can we make this work. Thanks

Barry R. Wurster

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 19 (13,679 Views)

Get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation