Question

Honor Student
2ndMile
Message 1 of 4 (1,116 Views)

HP Officejet 6500 Wireless, How to network a laptop & desk top

My desktop is an HP Media Center PC.  I have installed a Officejet 6500 Wireless Printer.  It prints from my desktop, but I also want to print from 2 laptops.  How do I connect those.  The laptops access the internet off my Zoom wireless router, but I do not know if this makes them networked.  I really don't know what that means.  

Do I plug the printer's hard line into the router instead of the computer?  Will the desktop still print? 

Thanks so much.  I read many previous posts but did not find specific answers.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 4 (1,112 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6500 Wireless, How to network a laptop & desk top

Yes, plug your printer into your router with an Ethernet cable!   You can get the software for each computer here.

This is a better solution than sharing a USB connected printer.  First, setting up a shared printer can be difficult and you can only share the printing, not scanning or faxing.

By the way, if you have a router, you have a network.  All devices on a network, whether connected by wire or wireless, can communicate with each other on the network.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
2ndMile
Message 3 of 4 (1,101 Views)

In addition to the ethernet cable attached to my router, do I keep the desktop PC connected to the printer directly or will it work wirelessly too?  When I download the drivers do I select Basic Print and Scan  or  the Full Feature Software & Driver?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 4 (1,093 Views)

If the desktop is connected to the router (wired or wireless, does not matter), it will be able to us the printer and scanner and fax.

I recommend the Full Feature Software and Drivers.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation