Question

Student
jwright_la
Message 1 of 6 (4,246 Views)

HP Officejet 6500 e709a, printer offline

Hello,

In our office, several computers are able to print, through the network, from this printer. However, our manager's laptop, (Gateway with 1.6g processor, xp 2002 w/ service pack3) is now not printing from this wirelessly. Problem has persisted throughout this week and he  just brought it to our attention today. Printer is telling us it is online, but he is getting an error message that the printer is offline. Anythoughts on why this is happening or what we can do about it?

Thanks!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 6 (4,201 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6500 e709a, printer offline

Download and run this utility: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e17-1&h_keyword=dg-NDU&ju...

I am employed by HP
Student
Grump
Message 3 of 6 (4,128 Views)

The utility is of no utility when the printer is perpetually taking itself OFFLINE. No printer is detected. I power it down with the switch, unplug the power supply for anywhere from 20 seconds to 20 minutes, plug it back in, power it back up and my stalled print job may or may not print the last page of a two-page document (first one to print in my selected print order). If it gets to the first page, only part prints then the printer sits there doing nothing. After a long time, it spits out the front page. Usually it won't even get halfway down the page.

In the meantime, the HPHNDU.exe utility cannot even find the printer, regardless of when I press the "refresh printer list" button.

The software/device is broken. Didn't even get two years out of it.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 6 (4,126 Views)

When it shows as being offline go to the front of the printer: Setup > Network > Wireless Network Test.  Does it show as being actually connected to the network or not?

I am trying to ascertain whether the printer is actually offline or if your computer cannot find it.  These lead to two different solution paths.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
Laplace
Message 5 of 6 (3,963 Views)

Reset the IP address to Manual on the printer. Then set the IP address to a high number such as 192.168.1.140 (do not go above 140). Configure all pc's printer property port to this address.

The issue I have seen is that the IP addresses are dynamically set, however the printer port configured on the PC is static and doesnt change. So, the printer address sometimes changes, and the pc's can no longer find it.

Student
rzheck
Message 6 of 6 (2,220 Views)

Fill in new user form (5 times) correctly but doesn't submit.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation