Question

Top Student
dabrynge
Message 1 of 13 (3,893 Views)

HP Officejet 6500 e710n-z: Unable to scan via wireless

Can not find info on how to set  up wireless scanning on HP6500 aio e710n-z.  Maybe this printer does not have that capability?

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 13 (3,873 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6500 e710n-z: Unable to scan via wireless

What operating system does the computer use?

To verify network functionality, are you able to print wirelessly from the computer?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
dabrynge
Message 3 of 13 (3,852 Views)

Yes, I can print wireless.  I use a Dell XPS with Win7.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 13 (3,831 Views)

Since you are using Windows 7, click on How to Scan with HP Software in Windows and select Winows 7.  The steps listed here should help with getting the printer to scan.

Additionally, make sure to activate scan to computer on the computer you want to scan to.  To do this, the printer will need to be installed on that computer.

1.  Open the printer software.  By default, this is included on the desktop and should have an icon o the printer.

2.  Click on Activate Scan to Computer.

3.  Follow any prompts to complete the setup.

At this point, the steps in the first document should walk you through getting a successful scan.

The reason that scan to pc has to be activate is that it is disabled on the computer to prevent other uses from accidentlly sending files to the PC causing harddrive space to disappear without the user knowing why.  Imagine if you were in an office comples and users were incorrectly selecting your system to scan to insead of their own.  It would certainly add up quickly.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
dabrynge
Message 5 of 13 (3,825 Views)

None of these steps works unless the printer is cable attached.  Most error messages relate to printer/device not found if there is no cable attached.  Once I connect via cable the scanner works fine.  I can print via wireless but not scan wireless.  This is not a major issue...but would like to eliminate one more cable from my desk if possible.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 6 of 13 (3,824 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you absolutely have to have the USB cable connected to scan, then there is something very wrong in the network setup somewhere.

Verify the printer is connected by going to Setup>Network>View Network Summary>wireless if it is a wireless connection or wired if it is by an Ethernet cable.

This should reveal the IP address and SSID (if wireless).  Verify that the IP is not a 169.254.x.x address and the SSID is for the right router.

If the printer is connected to the network, then I suspect setting a static IP (or manual IP) will help tremendously.

Follow the steps in this video to set a static IP.  The video is for an Officejet 8500, but the steps to set a static IP are the same.

As long as the above is met, try these steps.  The screenshots included are done by me and it worked successfully for me just now.  If scan to computer gives you a connection error, it is most likely it is not activated or lost its activation.

1.  Open the software.

printer software.jpg

2.  Click on Actiavate Scan to Computer in the Scanner Actions section to ensure it is activated.

activate_scan.jpg

3.  Scan to computer should then be activated.

Edit: Removed the photo as it was not specific to the scenario.

These steps will be performed on the printer

4.  Select Scan on the printer's Front screen.

5.  Select Computer.

6.  Your computer should be listed.  Select it from the menu.

7.  Select your save option.  For my test, I am using Save as PDF.

8.  Ensure you have what you want scanned ready to be scanned.  

9.  Select Start Scan and you should get a Now Scanning message.

10.  Once completed, the file directory where it was saved should open with the file selected automatically on the computer.  At least, it did for me on both accounts

This should help.

Signature
Top Student
dabrynge
Message 7 of 13 (3,777 Views)

Haven't had this Win7 device for more than a couple weeks...can not find the steps you indicate to view network summary.  Setup>Network>View Network Summary>Wireless....I can't find those steps.  What am I missing?

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 8 of 13 (3,763 Views)

[ Edited ]

Where exactly in those steps are you having the issue?

The specific steps of setup>network>view network summary>wireless would be performed on the printer, so the Windows 7 machine actually won't have any impact on those steps.

Signature
Top Student
dabrynge
Message 9 of 13 (3,702 Views)

Had to find someone a little more computer literate than me to help me with this...and found all the settings were as you described...but still no 'wireless' scanning capability.  I believe I will give up on trying to get wireless scanning to work as most of my scanning relates to my family history files and I usually work next to the printer/scanner when I am adding pictures/documents/etc to my files.  One more cable on the desk top isn't going to kill me...but it would have been nice to get rid of it and have a little more flexibility with the laptop.  I certainly appreciate your time and efforts.

Honor Student
rfhsb
Message 10 of 13 (3,286 Views)

I got my wireless print/scan to work on this printer just fine. Don't remember what I did because I got this printer over a year ago, but I must have just followed the directions. I even moved once - so I probably had to re-set something. It HAS to be within the wireless network somewhere .... I just pinned an icon of the "e-print center shortcut" to my taskbar .... I absolutely LOVE this printer/scanner!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation