Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am not having any luck in printing from Mac Book Pro's or my iMac using Airprint.  If I am lucky a document prints.  If not, it just stays in the Print Queue for a while and then times out.  I get different message each time: "Trying to find printer", "Looking for printer", "Connecting to printer", "Could not find printer", "Unable to connect to printer", etc.  Can anyone help?  The whole purpose of getting this printer is defeated, if I can't use this (wireless) feature.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Airprint is not required for the 6500A to work with the Mac (depending on the OS X version) since there is Mac software available.  Airprint is a non-software based printing method, so the software eliminates the need for Airprint.

The router is the most important part (and the most overlooked part) when it comes to Airprint.  Airprint functions using Multicast (mDNS, Bonjour) and this is depending on the router.  If the router does not have a good multicast service, then the Airprint experience will be affected.

What brand and model is the router?

What OS X version does the Mac use?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

My router is Netgear Wireless Router N300 WNR2000 v2

My Macbook Pros are running Mountain Lion

The iMac's OS is Mac OS 10.6.x

I powered down the router and restarted again.  Still the Mac Book Pro could not configure the printer.  I have also turned off blue tooth in the Mac Book Pro.  All to no avail.

HP Recommended

You mentioned Airprint which indicates the printer was added using Print and Scan and not an actual driver.  Airprint is a driverless feature from Apple and it is completely dependent on the router's ability to handle Airprint.  Some routers handle Airprint flawlessly and others do not.  Unfortunately, I don't have too much experience with that exact model router.  Make sure the router's firmware is the newest version as it can help.

Additionally, clearing the print system on the Mac and installing Apple's driver package can help.

Reset the printing system as outlined in this document from HP

Next, install this driver package from Apple.

Once the above two steps are completed, add the printer again in Print and Scan.  When adding the printer, the use field defaults to Airprint.  Change it to the printer's name and it should use the driver that was just installed.  This should work for both 10.6 and 10.8.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Observed the same issue as those above. Attempted recommended resolution. When adding printer, autodetect attempted to settle for Airplay (which did not work, as before the reset). Can only setup new printer with the same name as detected (e.g. NOT using Airplay).

Airplay is still not working, nor is the ability to scan (either using a mac to initiate the service or the printer interface itself). Any app which I use for scanning or Airplay claims that a connection cannot be made.

HP Recommended

MistaDemon,

Are you referring to Airprint instead of Airplay?

Airprint is developed by apple and uses their own protocol called Bonjour which works in conjunction with multicast (sometimes called mDNS) in the router.  Due to this relationship that Bonjour (Airprint) has with multicast, the router is the absolute most important part when it comes to Airprint.  

As mentioned previously, some routers work great with Airprint and Some do not work great while others do not work at all with Airprint.  

What brand and model is the router?

Make certain that the router has the newest firmware from the manufacturer as several router manufacturers have released updates to improve various router issues regarding Airprint provided Airprint is something they intend for that model of router to support.

Has Airprint ever worked?

What OS X version is your system using?

You did mention a scanning issue.  Does this happen using the Mac software or the HP software to scan with?

Signature
HP Recommended
Hi. Thanks for your quick response. I am using the Apple Airport Extreme as my router. Yes, Airprint used to work (before upgrading to osX 10.8). The system is all up to date. The scanning concern occurred regardless of the software I was using (e.g. Preview, HP Scan, etc.). Since my initial complaint I was able to come to a successful resolution. I had rebooted my mac but had neglected to power cycle the printer. Once the power cycle was complete, I was able to add back the printer, as per the initial instructions. In testing the connections, everything appears to be working properly again (scanning from various computers, in addition to i-devices using AirPrint).
HP Recommended

I am glad it is working for you now.

Provided the router was compatible with Airprint and it had worked previously, power cycling the devices would have been the next step.  The simplest solution is often times the best solution.

Thanks for letting the community know what resolved it for you.  :generic:

Signature
HP Recommended
I very much appreciate the assistance. Thanks!!!!
HP Recommended

Hi am just trying to print from the notes app of my mini ipad.  Have a HP6500a plus which I have set up with a wireless connection, got a good test result from, turned everything (printer, router and mini ipad) off and on.  Still not working.  Any suggestions

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.