Question

Honor Student
ibebry
Message 1 of 4 (545 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8600 All in One printer - printing wirelessly from an IPAD

I'm trying to connect a HP Officejet Pro 8600 to our university campus wireless network for the purposes of printing wirelessly from an IPAD.  The printer finds the wireless network when going through wireless wizard setup but gets a message that the wireless network is using security that is not supported. 

The campus wireless network uses:

Security type: WPA2-Enterprise
Encryption type: AES

Can anyone tell me if these are supported by this model printer?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 4 (530 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 All in One printer - printing wirelessly from an IPAD

Hey ibebry,

The printer is designed to be used with WPA2 - Personal and not the Enterprise version.  From the wiki artricle on WPA encryption:

WPA-Personal Also referred to as WPA-PSK (Pre-shared key) mode, it is designed for home and small office networks and doesn't require an authentication server. Each wireless network device authenticates with the access point using the same 256-bit key generated from a password or passphrase.

WPA-Enterprise Also referred to as WPA-802.1X mode, and sometimes just WPA (as opposed to WPA-PSK). It is designed for enterprise networks and requires a RADIUS authentication server. This requires a more complicated setup, but provides additional security (e.g. protection against dictionary attacks on short passwords). An Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) is used for authentication, which comes in different flavors.

If the network is using WPA-Enterprise, then most likely the 8600 will not be able to connect.  Hope this helps.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
ibebry
Message 3 of 4 (512 Views)

Jason_H,

Thanks so much for the reply.  So my next question.........does HP make a printer that uses WPA-Enterprise (Also referred to as WPA-802.1X mode)?

Thanks,

Bryan

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 4 of 4 (498 Views)

Hey ibebry,

I do not have a list of printers that support WPA-Enterprise as none of the consumer grade printers will support this wireless method.  I am also guessing that changing the encryption type for you isn't an option as you are most likely a user and not the administrator of this campus network.

As a side note, I would advise against connecting to a large network for the printer in this fashion as anyone may be able to connect and attempt to print to your unit.  This could eat up your ink resources if many people try to print to the unit and find it; this being you are on a campus wide network.

Are you trying to use ePrint and AirPrint services to print to this 8600?  If so, then you can get around this wireless encryption issue by connecting the printer with an Ethernet cable to the network.  This will allow you to communicate across the network from the wireless iPad to the Ethernet printer as they are both on the same network.  

Hope this helps.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation