Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

OK, this is weird. I had this happen to me yesterday. All the sudden I get the same error with the EWS, the day before it was fine.

Environment

• 1 Lenovo T400 laptop running Windows 8 PRO
  • 1 Microsoft SurfaceRT tablet
  • 1 Asus RT-N65U Router running Custom Firmware 3.0.3.3-041
  • Browsers: Firefox 19.0.1 or IE 10.9200.16484

Officejet Pro 8600 N911g

• Firmware: CLP1CN1232AR
  • Software Version: 028.000.1315.000
  • Printer Driver Version: 09.84.00.1173

1. I tried resetting the printer back to factory (back button x4, etc.), no change.
  2. I tried setting "Show me ink alearts right away", then setting "Only show me ink alerts when I print", on laptop, no change.
  3. I tried resetting the printer back to factory (back button x4, etc.), again, no change.
  4. I format my laptop and reinstall OS (Windows 😎 and format my SurfaceRT back to factory, no change.
  5. Install printer on laptop, no change.
  6. I tried setting "Show me ink alearts right away", then setting "Only show me ink alerts when I print", on laptop again, no change.
  7. Programmed printer to auto power off/on.
  8. Got tired, went to bed.
  9. This morning heard printer power up, checked printer, same error in EWS.
  10. Remembered that I had not installed the printer on my SurfaceRT
  11. Install printer on SurfaceRT, checked the EWS and it's working!!!!

I'm not sure what to say, hopefully these setps might help HP diagnose the issue.

EDIT:

I just checked the printers EWS and I have the error AGAIN! I'm not sure what is going on.

HP Recommended

I recommend setting a static IP for your printer.  To do this, press the wireless radio icon to display the printer's IP address. 

1. Type only the numbers of your printer's IP address into a web browser and if you see information about your printer then you are successfully in the printer's embedded web server (EWS). Since this is where you guys see the problem you should already know this step.
  2. Select the "Network" tab and under the word Wireless on the left hand side you will see IPv4 if your printer is setup wirelessly. 
  3. Click on IPv4 and then highlight the circle to the right that says Manual IP. Next, select the gray button below that says "Suggest a Manual IP Address."  This will fill in most of the boxes for you to eliminate the risk of user error.  This will change your IP address so feel free to keep the new IP address or change the top row back to the first number you entered into the web browser to start with.
  4. At the bottom of this page you have a preferred and alternate DNS server.  The preferred DNS server should say 8.8.8.8 and the alternate DNS server should say 8.8.4.4.  Here is a you tube video of an example but in this one he uses a different DNS server.  I strongly recommend using the numbers I have given in step 4. 
  5. Reboot the printer with the power button after clicking "Apply" to help complete the process.  After doing so you have successfully completed all troubleshooting steps. 

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

Here is an example:

static ip 8600.PNG

HP Recommended

Setting a static IP, and/or using Google's DNS server addresses did NOT work.

I also had an HP update come down on for W8, and it didn't make any difference.

I'm really leaning towards a Windows 8 driver issue, because prior to introducing Windows 8 into my network, I've NEVER had an issue with the printer.

HP Recommended

Knowing what I do about Web Services, maybe a detailed explanation of what exactly web services are and how it relates to the EWS is necessary.  Web Services are directly related to ePrint and the Print Apps on the front panel of the printer.  To understand what the Network Connection Error is, you will want to look more towards the actual printer and router combination.  The EWS is an explanation of its current state so I have a hard time grasping that the web browser, software/drivers, or ink settings have anything to do with this.

Powering the printer off and back on again with the power button is another way to try to connect to a different DNS server that is available by your internet service provider so to speak.  A DNS server translates the information the printer is receiving from the web and converts it into something to print.  At least that is how I view it when I see a Network Connection Error.  

I have seen printers connected to a guest network get this error.  I have seen this work one day and not the next and work again the next day without the slightest bit of troubleshooting.  I know people who can not get iPads and other hand-held devices to connect to the printer while this is displayed on it.  Going to the EWS to set a static IP is often the best way to fix this but if it doesn't you may want to look into the router for the answer.  Sometimes the router companies will do it for free but it is usually done by your internet service provider if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

Try these steps and tell me if they work or not:

1.  Press the ePrint icon on the front panel of the printer (looks like paper with circles behind it or a phone ringing - often in the upper left-hand corner of the touch screen display). 

- What do you see?  Do you immediately get the same error message or do you see an email address there?  Try to print the info page or report as suggested in this menu with a single button - "Print Report."

2.  Press the icon on the printer that says Apps.  

- What happens?  Do you see the same error? If not try to print one of those apps (making note to not accidentally schedule or subscribe to a print app that could start printing daily).  Does the Print App connect to the server?

If you would like, I can also supply a list of ports to make sure are open that have to do with the different web services within the printer.  These include functions like Web Scan and Airprint as well.  Try the two tests above and that way I can completely rule out the possibility of your error being anything else.  This will at least narrow it down to ePrint.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, but I don't have ePrint/web services enabled. I really have no need for them to be honest. Also I like to enable the auto power down feature, so it's not using any power at night when I'm asleep.

So, I did enable the ePrint/Web services. And yes, the error went away. Everything is showing up properly, for now. I will leave it alone for awhile, but I will eventually be turning it off and setting the printer to power down at night. Hopefully I won't get the error again, but if it does, HP needs to find a way to correct it.

HP Recommended

Hopefully you have no other problems.  Keep me posted if you do.  Happy Printing!  

HP Recommended

Well, it's definately tied to the Web Services. You turn them off, things go pear shaped.

I liked it when the screen went white with "Printer Error" at the top, with "Please power off, on the printer", and all the icons started flashing. Trying to power off the printer wth the power button didn't work. I had to unplug the unit from the mains. Then the forever powerup with the stern warning of please power down the unit properly next time (or to that effect).

That and you get the same network connectivity errors, again.

I think someone needs to look at the firmware and correct this issue. I don't need the web apps, nor the e-print, and I prefer to have the scheduled on/off feature enabled.

I just turned on the web services, again. If you need to look at the logs, the printer is tied to this accout that I post with.

HP Recommended

I am sorry to hear that really. I thought it would have stayed connected now.  I appreciate your input and I will see what I can do or who I can talk to about looking into that for you.

HP Recommended

Very good news! A firmware update has been released to fix this.  I hope it works for you.  I was unable to view the download information in Google Chrome but when I opened it in Internet Explorer, your problem was listed as one of the things it should fix.  Let me know how it goes!

Here is a link to the Windows 8 64-bit version of the new firmware update.

Firmware Version: CLP1CN1304AR

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.