Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Excellent. I just updated the firmware, so we will see how things work out.

Now, for something interesting. The last time, I said I was going to re-enable Web Services. When I did, it didn't quite work properly. The printer said it went through, but when I went to HP's eprint web site, logged in, there was an error. So I removed all the printers associated with my account, went back to the printer and turned off all the web services. Checked the EWS and there were no connectivity errors, thought "What the hey! Let's leave it alone, turn on the ECO power down feature and see what happens."

After a couple of days, everything stayed happy. No errors, no issues, I even got scanning to a network share to finally work.

I know someone will say, STOP leave it alone and let it be. But If there is a firmware update, I'll install it. I'm a glutton for punishment (actually it's my job as a tech).

HP Recommended

It is rare that I laugh out loud when I read a post but that one did it!  Everyone's favorite cliche: if it's not broke don't fix it. 🙂  Honestly, this should do nothing but help. To relieve some of the apprehension of doing so, I have spoken to others and only reports that it fixed their problems have come in, namely with paper pick up and other hardware problems.  The only real problem I have seen is people can not view the actual page itself in web browsers.  So, if you have any questions I am more than happy to share it for you on here.  Otherwise, I am so happy you fixed everything.  Keep me posted on anything long-term.  I have signed up for email alerts for this thread so I should receive it.

Here is some additional information regarding the firmware just for sharing purposes.

Released:

2013-03-21

File name:

Version:
CLP1CN1304AR

Fix/Enhancement:

1) Enhance ePrint Diagnostic report for ePrint Setup
2) Improve ease of wireless setup
3) Enhanced Embedded Web Services
4) Improve Print Quality
5) Improve Ink Usage
6) Improve paper path performance
7) Improve Digital scan performance

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

Well, the firmware update didn't fix it.

Turn off: Web Services > ePrint

Turn off: Web Services > Apps

(or Web Services > Remove Web Services, Remove Web Services)

Turn on: Settings > Schedule On/Off (set both On/Off times)

Wait a couple of days (letting the printer power cycle a couple of times)

You get:

OJ86001.jpg

And:

OJ86002.jpg

It took a couple of tries of enabling Web Services, and doing another "Semi-Full Reset", to finally get rid of the error (I've got to stop doing the "Semi-Full Reset", uses a lot of ink doing it).

OJ86003.jpg

OJ86004.jpg

At least I can recreate the error consistantly 😉

HP Recommended

Let me get this straight: a) firmware did nothing  b) You used to be able to power cycle the printer to get the network connection error to go away but now it does not  and   c) you have web services connected one minute but is it after the printer goes to sleep you lose the connection or is it somewhat random?   d) do you still feel this is connected to Windows 8 and that driver?  f) Did you do anything else when you updated your operating system (ex. got a new router, moved the printer by some metallic shelves or other wireless objects, updated the firmware, etc)?

I really had a good feeling about this firmware update but you must be experiencing something outside of the printer (not saying it isn't the printer but, still, it could be a number of things).  I am going to get creative but I have my reasons.  g) Is this printer plugged into a wall outlet or a surge protector?  h) Any metal shelves, microwaves, monitors, cordless phones, or other electronics possibly causing interference?  i)  What is the distance between the router and the printer?  If the semi-full reset didn't fix it then I get the feeling it is something external causing an intermittent connection.  This really sounds like the printer is competing for power in a surge protector.  If you answer no other question I must know what it is plugged into.  I will start at the power source and work my way up.  Answer those for me so I can evaluate what exactly is causing this to lose its connection.  (By the way, today [April 8th] may not be the best day to try to troubleshoot this as the ePrint server may be going through some maintenance - not going to point fingers at that being the problem but I will gladly keep you updated on the service health to help save some frustrations).

HP Recommended

a) The firmware didn't change the issue.

b) The only way to clear the error was/is to enable the "Web Services" and power cycle the printer (on/off button)

c) With theWeb Services enabled, you can not turn on auto power off (greyed out).

d) I don't know anymore if it's related to the printer driver anymore. It may have been a coincidence that it all started when I upgraded everything to Windows 8 (Pro and RT).

f) At the time, again the only thing that changed was the introduction of Windows 8 and the appropriate drivers. Since then, things have changed, new router firmware, new devices come and gone, etc.

g) The printer has been in the same place on the same power surge protector. Actually, it's the only thing in the power strip right now.

As of now, I can recreate it consistantly.

1. Enable the Web Servces, Power cyle the printer via the button, error is gone. Can sit for several days, no error.

2. Disable Web Services, enable Auto power on/off (on at 7:00 am, off at 11:00 pm)

3. Wait a couple of days, error shows up.

Current client devices: One Windows 8 Pro laptop. One Microsoft Surface RT. Router: Asus RT-N65U (Custom Firmware). Browsers IE 10, Firefox (current)

On another note, I just noticed that I can't bring up the EWS on my Surface RT (IE 10) with the new firmware.(Narf!)

HP Recommended

That is all so very interesting. Thank you for that very valuable information which is really going to help me help you.  First off, from my understanding at least, any time the printer is connected either by ethernet or wirelessly, auto off is automatically deactivated so that does not surprise me a whole lot anyway but still does seem like it would be a nice feature to have.  I know the reasoning behind it and it makes sense.  I have read customer complaints about having to get up and go in another room to turn on the printer where as a USB connection means they would be sitting right next to it and would not have to move too far to push the power button.  The printer is so "economically" designed that even when it is powered on it has been approved by Power Star to be one of the most energy efficient printers on the market.

Good news about your Surface RT (really nice computer by the way).  According to this link, a new firmware update will be released to help you access things like the printer's EWS.  That wasn't stated specifically in the link but that is how I interpreted it.  Research this link for more information regarding wireless connection problems, what the firmware fixes, and other customer complaints regarding your PC.  Sometimes just trying another web browser helps to access the EWS as well or, if you want to troubleshoot security settings in Firefox to get back that access I will gladly assist but that is a little out-of-scope for me (mainly because I do not use Firefox so I have limited experience with it).

To me, the following information is the most intriguing of all.  I have worked on electronics for over ten years and I always ignored the FCC warnings on the back of wireless devices about EMF interference until now.  The printer you have now seems to become vulnerable to this type of interference once it is set up wirelessly.  The best way to protect this printer from problems like erroneous error messages, intermittent connectivity issues, strange noises, paper jams, lines in the ADF during a scan, and other power-related problems is to plug this printer directly into a wall outlet.  The 8600 has a built-in surge protector and the power-strip compete for voltage management amongst other things when it is plugged into one. What people don't think about is, if you have a phone line plugged into your printer for faxing and lightning strikes the house, the printer is fried.  What kills printers is the RJ-11 phone cord when it gets struck.  It would not matter if it was plugged into a surge protector or not.  So please trust me when I say plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet will only help things 100%.  I have fixed some crazy issues just plugging it into the wall.

About web services - have you already tried to customize the printer's email address?  That is my favorite way of printing but that is a personal preference.  So, now as long as web services are enabled, you do not have any errors?  Interesting, indeed.  This was really just a post to define all the problems you seem to be facing but not much here in the way of troubleshooting.  Otherwise, check on that firmware update for your computer and riddle me this: with web services enable are you having any problems and do you really want to use the auto-off feature?  I will gladly see what I can do for you if you want to use the auto off feature or are seriously concerned about what happens when web services are off! Let me know!

HP Recommended

You're slightly off on the auto off. Only when you've enabled the Web Services, is it disabled. Which makes sense, you need an "always on" so you can print from anywhere, anytime.

Surface RT: The update didn't fix it. Using the modern or clasic IE won't display the EWS pages at all (but IE on my Windows Phone 8 will. Go figure.).

So now for some things I'm going to try (now my taxes are done and I won't be needing the printer for awhile).

1. I've uninstalled the printer from my Laptop and Surface RT (just to make sure it's not the drivers, who knows).

2. I've gone into my router and disabled IPv6 tunneling (I forgot that I even set it up).

3. I got the printer back to no Web Services, and auto on/off is turned on (with no errors).

4. I'm going to let the printer sit and see if the error comes back.

5. If no error, then just install the printer on one device at a time and let it sit to see if the error comes back.

As for why I don't just keep the Web Services enabled and keep the printer on: I don't need to be able to print from "anywhere, anytime". If I'm not at my printer to get the output, there isn't a need for me.

Granted, I can see if I have get a document while on my phone that I need printed, I can see forwarding it the ePrint services to get a hard copy. But if it's on my phone, it will be available on my other devices that have the printer installed.

Also, I live in a really dry climate. I've found that power cycleing ink jet printers excersises the print head to keep it from clogging or drying up. Now, if this really works on this printer, I don't know. I just know that when it auto turns off/on, I hear the print head cycleing. If it's just unparking the head, or wiping, I don't know, but I really don't print that much, but when I do, I need the printer to print.

HP Recommended

You have certainly been through a lot.  This is how I use ePrint: I installed the ePrint driver so that I do not have to install the software on my computer.  After I enabled web services and setup an email for the printer, I open the ePrint driver and type in the email address.  Then I just click File and Print when in Word and it goes straight to the ePrint driver and prints with ease (I always set a static IP for every ePrinter I work with). Also,  Google Cloud Print is getting a lot of attention right now as well.

Now, about your printer: After reviewing everything you have done up to this point, I am not sure if you confirmed setting the preferred and alternate DNS server to (preferred) 8.8.8.8. and (alternate) 8.8.4.4. (see images).  You are having intermittent connection issues it sounds.  I am not pointing fingers at the DNS server but that is a common fix. 

You have posted some interesting information regarding the auto off and I do apologize for being slightly off. Here is a link to confirm you are right. This link has some valuable information I might add.

As of right now, are the web services working for you?  If not, do a speed test.  Web services require an upload speed of at least 1Mbps to work.  This will also identify any internet problems you didn't know you had.  It is just a suggestion to identify what is causing your web services to "flicker."  Let me know what your upload speed is please. I hope this information helps you. Keep me informed. 🙂

HP Recommended

I think I've gotten it worked out!

It took awhile, slowly trying one thing at a time, and waiting for any issues. I've narrowed it down to the IPv6 side of the printer.

I totally forgot I was experimenting with with IPv6 settings on my router. Since my ISP hasn't implimented IPv6 yet, I was trying various settings (tunneling 6in4, 6to4, 6rd) to try out IPv6.

Turning off IPv6 on the router cleaned it up slightly (it was still intermitant). Eventually also turning off IPv6 on the printer (Network > Network Protocols, selecting "Enable IPv4 Only") cleared up everything. It's been over a week, checking multiple times a day, and there haven't been any of the formentioned errors.

I've even turned on the IPv6 settings back on the router (to be ready when my ISP flips the switch) and no errors. So I'm happy with things now.

HP Recommended

I am very glad to hear that as it sounds like you have been through a lot.  Fingers crossed you have no more problems.  Happy ePrinting!  If you have any more questions about your "new" features let me know and I will be happy to help. :OpenSmile:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.