Question

Qw8 Honor Student
Honor Student
Qw8
Message 1 of 4 (176 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus (UK purchase) will not connect to wired ethernet network

[ Edited ]

Hi

We have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus (purchase here in UK approx 9-12 months ago) which has sort of worked OK wirelessly but finance industry compliance requirements now require me to connect to it by normal ethernet cable. 

When I disable wireless and plug in a (tested and working) ethernet cable it does nothing.  I have done a factory reset (via the screen menu) to remove any previous settings.  Turned off, turned on, still nothing.

I have restored Network defaults also using the menu command within settings - network; no difference.

In Network - wired summary the screen says:

IP: Not applicable

MAC: xxxxxxxxxxx (not for sharing here)

Hostname: xxxxxxxxx (not for sharing here)

Wireless Direct: Off

I have tried it with IP settings turned to Automatic (DHCP) - no joy.

I have tried it with IP settings turned to Manual(Static) - when i then type in the static IP address that is within the router range (but outside the DHCP reserved range) as soon as I press Done, the settings are lost i.e. 192.168.0.102 - push 'Done' and the IP goes back to 000.000.000.000

The same when entering the default gateway and subnet masks.

I have restored to defaults several times, tried manual and DHCP several times, no joy.

Please let me have some serious suggestions at the earliest opportunity.  Just to reiterate I have tested the network connection and cables with other ethernet equipment and they are working.  My questions include:

1.   Anyone know how to make this printer actually store the manually entered IP addresses etc?

2.  What am I missing about the wired setup?

3.  Is this a known issue?  Is it an issue with the hardware ethernet socket or something?

4.  Also in this forum there are references to a Hard Factory reset that is apparently different to the menu 'Reset to Factory Defaults' but links to an article about it just give a 404 error, not found.  [Does HP actually have two different levels of Factory Default and if so, God knows why!  Does anyone know a working link to this information please?

HP Support Agent
Rainbow7000
Message 2 of 4 (131 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus (UK purchase) will not connect to wired ethernet network

Hello Qw8, welcome to the forums!

I read your post about not being able to successfully install your Officejet 8600 Plus to your wired network. I will do my best to find suggestions for you to try. I would first like to know which Operating System you are installing the printer on to help me with my research.

If you haven't already, run the installation (HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One Printer - N911g Drivers) with your security and firewalls disabled to see if the proper connection can be made.

I do see you ask about other resets and there are others however, at this stage they may not be needed. If they are, I can send you a private message at that time with that information.

Please let me know your OS and we will go from there!

Have a wonderful weekend:smileyhappy:

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

R a i n b o w 7000
I work on behalf of HP

Qw8 Honor Student
Honor Student
Qw8
Message 3 of 4 (102 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus (UK purchase) will not connect to wired ethernet network

[ Edited ]

Hi, Thanks for your reply

We run a mixture of Microsoft Windows 7 and 8 across our |PCs on the network.  Netgear firewalls and routers are in place.

Not sure why you mention the drivers - I cannot make the printer even connect to the wired networkbut just to reiterate that the Printer 8600 does work wirelessly on our network but we cannot now use wifi for security and compliance reasons.

Neither of the LEDs on the ethernet connection at the back of the printer light up when a (tested and working) ethernet connection is plugged in.

Follow up:

I downloaded and ran the printer installation software as suggested but it did not discover the printer. The printer continues to have neither of the LEDs lighting at all next to the ethernet cable either at the switch or the printer.  When the same connection was tested on a spare HP 8500 printer the lights lit up as one would expect.

Thanks

HP Support Agent
Rainbow7000
Message 4 of 4 (86 Views)

Hello Qw8,

Thanks for replying back to me. I have sent you a private message with the instructions for a reset. If the reset does not help any, I would then suggest calling HP directly to see what your further options are.

If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions: click here.

Thank you for posting in the community, have a great day:smileyhappy:

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

R a i n b o w 7000
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation