HP P1102w EWS Troubleshooting (4737 Views)
Honor Student
paulkrogmeier
Message 1 of 6 (4,737 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP P1102w EWS Troubleshooting

I have an HP P1102w that has worked wirelessly before, but when I recently tried to reinstall I've had issues with the Embedded Web Server (EWS) driver, thus eliminating my wireless functionallity. According to the Device Config page, the wireless is enabled and connected to my network, but I can't get any real functions to work, and it doesn't respond when I try to look up its IP address. The Windows troubleshooting does not have a fix, plus reinstalling the drivers, updating firmware and installing ePrint all haven't fixed the issue. I'm running Win 7 64-bit. Thanks.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 6 (4,718 Views)

Re: HP P1102w EWS Troubleshooting

The EWS isn't really a driver and it isn't really responsible for the network;however, it does depend on the printer communicating on the network to access the EWS.

It sounds like the printer is not able to communicate on the network.  The additional information requested will help isolate where the problem is and what steps will need to be performed.

What operating system does the computer use?  This will be helpful to know if any tools or steps need to be done from the computer.

What brand and model is the router?

What is the status of the wireless light (flashing blue or solid blue)?

Print a new device configuration page by holding the cancel button for 3-5 seconds.  What does the IP address look like?  Is it a standard private address in the form of 192.168.1.X or a 169.254.X.X?  Also, what is the subnet listed?

You mentioned that you resetup ePrint for the printer.  What happened when you did that?

Do you receive any error messages when you try to use any of the printer functions?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
paulkrogmeier
Message 3 of 6 (4,708 Views)

Thanks for the reply Cloud_Strider. 

The computer is running Win 7 64 bit. The router is a Linksys E2000 and is running fine and the IP for the printer is of the 192.168.1.X variety.

I've reinstalled drivers and programs for everything and nothing worked. It always gets to the point where it has to connect and says it cannot do it. I think it's because its internal software is messed up (lacking EWS) and not the other peripherals because this printer used to work wirelessly on the current configuration before it started this EWS problem. Plus, I tried installing it on a different computer and the process stalled when it could recognize my network but not connect to it. All printer functions work correctly when plugged in directly, minus all the wireless features - the real reason I bought this printer in the first place :smileysad:

Thanks for your help, any ideas?

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 6 (4,668 Views)

The EWS is not required for a printer to connect to a network.  The EWS is only another way to interface with the printer.  The requirement is not a two-way relationship.  A printer can be on a network without an EWS, but the EWS cannot be accessed without network communications.  I assure you the EWS not being accessed is not causing the network issue, but it is a symptom of a network communication issue.  The EWS is simply a website that is on the printer and accessed just like any other site is with the exception that a number is entered instead of a www.site.com variety.

The issue you are experiencing is a network communication issue and cannot be resolved through the EWS.  Your computer is not communicating with the printer over the network.

It does appear the printer has a valid IP address as it matches a standard private class C address.

I have seen this scenario before and resetting the network in a specific way has the best chance of a resolution.

1.  Power off the printer and disconnect the power cord from the printer and the wall outlet.

2.  Shutdown the computer in question.

3.  Disconnect the power from the router for 5 minutes.

4.  Reconnect the power to the router and wait for all the lights to return to normal.

5.  Reconnect the printer to the power cord and plug the cord back into the wall outlet.  Turn the printer on if it does not turn on automatically.

6.  When the printer powers on and the wireless light turns to a solid blue light, boot the computer back up.

See if you can access the EWS.

The issue is a network communication issue and the steps above usually resolves issues of this nature.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
paulkrogmeier
Message 5 of 6 (4,662 Views)

It looks like it worked. From there I was able to download HP Smart Install software that reinstalled the printer as one without the EWS driver issue. Now I'm able to print wirelessly. Thanks a lot.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 6 of 6 (4,654 Views)

I am glad that it is now working for you.  

Thanks for letting the community know it is working now.  :smileyhappy:

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation