HP PhotoSmart 4795 wireless install on a HP slimline running Win7 - incompatible IP addresses (4180 Views)
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 11 of 25 (1,900 Views)

Re: HP PhotoSmart 4795 wireless install on a HP slimline running Win7 - incompatible IP addresses

On the left of the router web page, you'll have an option named 'LAN Setup'. Click on this, and you'll have an option to reserve an IP address. This list should list the printer and its 169.254.x.x IP address. Click on the radio button next to it, click on Edit, and change the 169.254 IP address into one that complies with the DHCP server and your IP settings, then Apply the settings, and then restart the printer. It should the get the correct IP address.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
atvman29
Message 12 of 25 (1,808 Views)

Re: HP PhotoSmart 4795 wireless install on a HP slimline running Win7 - incompatible IP addresses

I'm having the same problem with my C4795 as well.  I'm running Win 7 64 Bit on my ASUS G50VT-X5.  My wireless network is running on a WRT54GX2.  When trying to configure my printer's wireless settings, I get two error messages:

Your wireless router requires a WEP security key. The security key configured on your printer does not match exactly. Reconfigure your wireless network WEP security key for your printer.

Your printer has limited connectivity. Your printer is using IP address 169.254.77.210, which is not compatible with the IP address 192.168.1.100 of the PC.  Power off your printer and then power on and wait 60 sec for the printer to acquire an IP address. Then click Retry.

I've tried power cycling with the same result, and I KNOW my network key is correct because I used it to access the internet on my laptop.  I wasted an entire night last night with HP support and all they managed to do was give me the blue screen of death with there "Instant Help" and refer me to Linksys who wanted to charge me $30 to even speak with them.

So needless to say, I'm a little fired up.  The one thing I tried on my own was change my network security from WEP to WPA-AES and this allowed my printer to connect wirelessly.  However, none of the computers would.  So now I'm back to trying to configure it with a WEP key.

Can anyone help me???  I'm desperate here! 
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 13 of 25 (1,793 Views)

WEP encryption is not a good security measure and can cause trouble with setup.  Switching to WPA was a good move.  Do it again.

This time, however, also switch your computers to WPA with your new password and keep your system that way.  Your security will be much improved. 

I am employed by HP
Top Student
atvman29
Message 14 of 25 (1,788 Views)

So does the printer not work with a WEP type security?  How do I switch computers to WPA?  Don't you just type in the new WPA key??  Are there other settings that need to be changed?  One computer is running Win 7, the other is on Vista.
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 15 of 25 (1,787 Views)

The printer does work with WEP, however with some routers it requires a different printer installation procedure (that is not easy).  On top of the fact that WEP is virtually worthless as a security measure (read more here), it just makes sense to move to WPA (or WPA2 if available).

Here is how to do it on XP machines (once you change the router to use WPA and you pick a good, long passphrase - 13 characters or more):

- Start, Control Panel, Network Connections

- Right click on your wireless connection, Properties

- Click on the Wireless Networks tab, choose your network and click the Properties button

- Select the Authentication type to match what your router is set to (WPA or WPA2) and encryption type (AES).

- Type your passphrase in the Network key area then click OK.

Now your computer should be on the newly secured network.  If using Vista or 7 just try to log onto the network again after changing to WPA and it will automatically know what to do after you type in your passphrase. 

I am employed by HP
Top Student
atvman29
Message 16 of 25 (1,853 Views)

That's what I had done, but the computers could not get internet access.  They were able to connect to the router it seemed, but the internet was not there.

Any ideas? 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 17 of 25 (1,838 Views)

What version of XP are they running?  Have you tried a reboot of the router and the computers?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
atvman29
Message 18 of 25 (1,826 Views)

None of the computers are running XP.  All are on Vista or 7.  I've rebooted the computers, router, and modem, multiple times and under both WEP and WPA.

I had a problem with this router in the past in the way that it would not let me Xbox 360 connect to it through a wired connection.  After hours on the phone with Linksys and Xbox, we ended up having to open ports specifically for the 360.

Could there be a similar problem with this now?  Do you have to change the SSID when you go from WEP to WPA?  Is there a minimum number of characters for the WPA password or anything? 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 19 of 25 (1,824 Views)

This should not be that hard.  There may be an 8 character minimum on the WPA passphrase.  You do not have to change the SSID.  For simplicity I would recommend no punctuation on either, though.  Keep it to numbers and letter (upper and lower case).

Is your router firmware updated?  You can probably update it through its web interface (type 192.168.0.1 in a web browser, login is [blank], password is 'admin').

You do not have MAC address filtering on, right?  You are broadcasting your SSID, right? 

I am employed by HP
Top Student
atvman29
Message 20 of 25 (1,823 Views)

I was using a 10 character, all number passphrase for the key.

My router firmware is 1.01.06 and on a side note, I had played with the firmware on this when I was tackling the Xbox problem (about a year or so ago) and they (Linksys) said this version was one of the most stable at that time.

I am broadcasting my SSID and wireless MAC filter is disabled.

I will check Linksys and see how far along the drivers have come. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation