Question

Honor Student
breannaoconnor
Message 1 of 10 (4,616 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Photosmart 5510- Unable to Communicate with Printer Utility Check not working!!!!! HELP

I work with Windows 7 the error message I am getting is Unable to Communicate with Printer. I have never had a problem with a printer. First night worked amazing, All software is downloaded on the computer but then  went to go print to day it didnt work. REBOOTED EVERYTHING, wireless router, computer and printer. Then ReConnected the printer to the router through what the Manuel says. FINALLY starts printing, waited about 30-45mins went to go print again and of course it didnt work.

I have attempted to do the Utility Check- States I am connected online both computer and printer to the router. From what I gather there is an issue with the printer- computer connection. I bought this specific Printer because it was wireless and highly recommended because HP brand, now I am wondering if this was a big mistake.

Professor
RobertoR
Message 2 of 10 (4,576 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 5510- Unable to Communicate with Printer Utility Check not working!!!!! HELP

[ Edited ]

Brennaoconnor

Hi I hope you are doing well and sorry to learn that you are having this issue.

first, thanks for including as much information as you did 

Did you check that the router that you are using is up to date (Its firmware) 

Is the Printer up to date? 

Is windows up to date? 

If the answer to this is yes 

I will change the DNS server to make sure that is not the issue ; 

1. Type Ncpa.cpl (this will take you to the Network Connections)
  2. Select the your wireless connection
  3. You will see a screen on the botton, you will see it near the button left  a button that is called properties,
  4. On properties menu go to IpV4 (if you don't see it scroll down)  double click to open 
  5. In this screen you will see (obtain the IPaddress automatically) under that one you wil see the Obtain the DNS server address automatically  select this option
  6. type 8.8.8.8 and in the altenate type 8.8.4.4

Here you can extablish an Static Ip address as well I would do this as well 

If this steps have not help I will do ahead and Include in your reply all information in regrads your setup 

including router brand, model, and version of firmware,  Windows version

Hope it helps:

RobertoR 

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :smileyvery-happy:
Honor Student
breannaoconnor
Message 3 of 10 (4,565 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 5510- Unable to Communicate with Printer Utility Check not working!!!!! HELP

I am sure that windows is up to date, I just got the printer nothing has shown up on my computer or printer with updates for the printer. How would I be able to check the firmware on the router?? I would like to see that first before doing that step through for the printer. Thanks for your reply...just let me know how to check the firmware!
Professor
RobertoR
Message 4 of 10 (4,560 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi again;

Hope you are having a great day;

You should be able the find this on the router's manual on how to verify the current firmware version on the brand and model you own. Please bear in mind there are so many routers with some of them having different approaches on how to accomplish this. In most routers if you type in your browser the gateway's IP address i.e. most you will get this by typing CMD on the search in windows in the command line type Ipconfig if your router have a GUI (Graphical User Interface) assessable by this method it should give an option to check for updates. 

If you are unable to find this information. Please include the brand and model of the router, I will be do my best to assist you further.

Cheers;

RobertoR  

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :smileyvery-happy:
Honor Student
breannaoconnor
Message 5 of 10 (4,522 Views)

It looks like I have Linksys E2000 for a model for the router. I had tried to do the c command but its not working :smileysad: Thanks so much for your help so far...I just didnt think getting a printer would be this hard, never had this difficulty with my kodak one!

Professor
RobertoR
Message 6 of 10 (4,513 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi again;

Wish you are doing well despite this issue 

Ok here is a page in the Cisco website with documentation in regards your Router check in here how to verify what is the current version of router's firmware. if needed you can find the latest version of here as well.

In how to get to the routers EWS to do this follow this steps;

To reveal Relevant TCP/IP settings include in windows this settings

IP address
•subnet (subnet-mask)
gateway address (also the router's or AP's IP address, which is useful for opening the router's web page
or Embedded Web Server (EWS) page.
Important communication test! Once you have obtained the gateway address, type this address into your Web browsers URL field to open your router's EWS,  e.g., 192.168.0.1*. * This value will vary by router manufacturer.

Checking TCP/IP settings in most Microsoft operating systems

Step Action
  1 Click on Start (Window button on your keyboard).
  2 Type CMD (do not hit enter select from the menu with right click and select from the sub menu select run as  

Administrator).  
  3 At the prompt, type ipconfig or "ipconfig" or "ipconfig /all" with out the quotes. 
  4 Press ENTER on the keyboard, and note the values of the settings mentioned above.

Hope it helps and best of luck;

RobertoR 

Honor Student
marviepants
Message 7 of 10 (3,860 Views)

I am having exactly the same issue with my HP5510. It worked fine then next time I switched laptop on, it refused to communicate with printer. I have run every diagnostic test known to humanity - all say everything is working fine, except that the PC says the printer is offline when it is clearly switched on beside me.

I too bought this to replace an old printer and thought HP were relible - now I'm wishing I'd gone with Epson - this is the 4th HP in a row, and this and the last one have been a nightmare.  I signed up to their customer feedback thingy that sends reports back on my printer use - huh! I'd like to USE it!

I have a brand new laptop running Windows 7 and the router is a BT HomeHub. (I'm in the UK)

p.s. I'm a girl. Big technical words confuse me!

HELLLPPPPP !

Marvie

Student
85plus
Message 8 of 10 (2,597 Views)

have tried umpteen times to connect my printer HP5510 to router BTHub3  My computer is Acer Aspire and is OK BUT  Computer says it cannot find printer! wheras Printer says it is connected to router andis online. when I enter ip address into computer it says it cannot findit!!!!-if I had any Hair it would be pulled out by now HELP please-am not too good at computer speak as name suggests a little ols also!

Top Student
benmd
Message 9 of 10 (2,056 Views)

Hi

I have the same setup as you, HP 5510 connected to BT HomeHub 3.0 and have been experiencing the same symptoms.  There is a simple solution that worked for me.  All you need to do is press the 'Restart' button on the back of your router, wait for it to complete its restart sequence and for all 3 lights on the fron to turn solid blue.  Following this also fixes a common problem I have with AirPrint not working where an Apple device cannot find the printer.  Hope this helps...

HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 10 of 10 (2,025 Views)

Hey Benmd,

Thanks for the Information. Glad it is fixed up. Have a great week.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation