Question

Honor Student
adavidson3
Message 1 of 31 (2,593 Views)

HP Photosmart 7525 will not stay connected to wireless router

I recently purchased a new HP Photosmart 7525 printer.  The issue that I have is when I turn it on it will connect to my wireless router (a Netgear WPN824v2).  It will stay connected for about 90 seconds, then it will no longer be reachable on the network.  I have gone into my router and assigned a Manual DHCP IP address based on the MAC address of the wireless card.  I have set up the same IP address as static on the printer (not all at the same time, but tyring different things).  I have never had a wireless printer before, but I have 3 laptops, an Xbox 360 and a BluRay player that all use the same wireless router with no issues at all.

If I run a continous ping from one of my PCs (I have a desktop running Windows 7 connected to the netgear via a wired ethernet connection and I have a laptop running either/or a wired connection or a wireless connection to the same router)  the pings will stop at the same time, so it is a connection between the router and the printer.  If I check the wireless connection  on the touch screen of the printer, it will say that it is still connected to the router.  If I print a wireless network test,  Wireless tests pass and signal is Excellent.  Connectivity Pass,  Network Pass Settings all Pass.  It is currently using channel 11, it previously was using channel 9, but changed it to see if it would help. 

The wireless network is currently using 64-bit WEP.   I tried turning that off and using no encryption, and that didn't help. 

I thought it might be a hardware issue, so I returned the printer and exchanged it for another, same model.  That made no difference. 

I don't think it is a firewall because all the devices are on the same subnet and the connection to the printer stops working at the same time on 2 PCs at the same time.

I have run updater:  HPCOM_297288_HPPS_7520_series_x64_000_001.

The printer will work from the USB connection direct to the PC, but I bought this expecting a network printer as that is what I need. 

Any ideas on what could be causing the connection to drop?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 31 (2,585 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 7525 will not stay connected to wireless router

When the printer becomes unreachable does it indeed still have its IP address (look on the front panel to tell)?

Download and run this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03286146&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

What does it say?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
adavidson3
Message 3 of 31 (2,574 Views)

Well, once the connection is lost, the Scan Doctor program cannot wirelessly connect to the printer either, so it cannot tell me the IP address of the printer.   However, if I go through the touch screen Tools > Wireless > Display Network Connection > Display Network Summary   it states that the IP address is 192.168.1.2.  So as far as I can tell, it does keep its IP address.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 31 (2,552 Views)

OK, good.  In the same wireless menu, print a Wireless Network Test Report and see if there are any errors on it or anything that would indicate it is disconnected (even with a valid IP).

When the connection is lost, type that IP into a web browser to see if the internal settings of the printer are reachable.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
NicuC
Message 5 of 31 (2,449 Views)

I had the exact same issue until a half hour ago.

The printer constantly lost wireless connection after about a minute. I have 3 other wireless devices on the same network working just fine. I tried all sorts of solutions suggested on this forum with no success.

I even reset my wireless router to factory defaults and left the network open (no security) . No difference.

Then, as I was about to reply to this thread, I re-added the security settings to my wireless network (WPA with pass-phrase), restarted the printer, reset the wireless settings on the printer to factory default and re-connected to the network. I was hoping to print the wireless report once the connection was lost again.

But, to my surprise, the printer is no longer loosing the connection. 

This doesn't make any sense. I have reset the wireless settings to factory defaults several times before with no effect on the connectivity duration. I have no explanation.

Honor Student
NicuC
Message 6 of 31 (2,446 Views)

Well, it didn't last long. The connection is now maintained for about 5 minutes, before it is dropped again.

The wireless status is "Connected" but the internet status is "Not connected".

The printer is not accessible through the IP address it is displaying: 192.168.1.7

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 31 (2,433 Views)

When the printer appears to be not accessable, on the front of the printer print a Wireless Network Test from the Wireless menu.

Is the printer indeed disconnected or can the router/computer just not find it?

What router?  What operating system?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
NicuC
Message 8 of 31 (2,422 Views)

Wireless test report says: "No problems found". 

> Connectivity

-- Connected: PASS

Then under "Current Configuration" it says:

Internet:  Not Connected

?!

The printer is not visible on the network to the router: not in the attached devices list. It is also not visible to other computers: trying to access the printer  by typing its IP address in a browser results in an "Unable to connect" message.

The printer cannot connect to the e-Print web services. It says:

Connecting to Web Services server...

Unable to connect to Web Services. Check internet access and try again or enter a proxy adress.

I have a Netgear WPN824v2 router.

The printer was setup for wireless printing using a Windows 8 computer. But it is no longer connected to that computer.

Honor Student
NicuC
Message 9 of 31 (2,389 Views)

Well PrintDoc?
Should I return the printer, or change my wireless router?
Top Student
Jasonatef
Message 10 of 31 (2,193 Views)

I have having a similar issue. I can see my router (Netgear32) when I go to "Wirelss Setup wizard", but when I enter the psasword, it doesn't connect!!

My computer cannot see the printer either. It wokred just fine the first day, but not anymore. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation