Question

Top Student
NEED_HELP
Message 1 of 11 (21,778 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Photosmart C4580 Wireless - cannot get to work

I just had to get a new computer and new printer.  While I was at it, I established a wireless network.  I am running Windows Vista 64-bit on the new computer (Gateway) and have an HP Photosmart C4580 printer with wireless capabilities.  I cannot get the printer to work consistently.  Everytime I reinstall it, it works fine until either it or the computer goes to sleep or shuts down.  Then it doesn't work anymore.  Reinstall...it works...sleep, it stops working...vicious cycle.

I have spent HOURS with HP Chat trying to fix this, and even more time trying to find a solution myself.  This is my first HP product and I must say that I'm about at my wit's end with it.  I find it hard to believe that I am the only one on earth with a similar problem, yet I can find no help anywhere.  I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong, but I don't have enough experience to figure it out and cannot seem to find anyone who does.

I would appreciate any help I can get at this point.  This is my last resort before I give up and go back to Dell!!!

Intern
Terri
Message 2 of 11 (21,759 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C4580 Wireless - cannot get to work

Hi, Have you downloaded the newest drivers & software for the C4580??

How do you have the printer connected to power supply?  If plugged into surge protector this could cause a problem, turn off the printer and plug directly into wall outlet.

Let me know if this helps.

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 3 of 11 (21,727 Views)

A couple of questions:

1. How is your Gateway connected to the network -- wired or wireless?
  2. Are you using a wireless-router for your network or an Ad-Hoc network (PC wireless directly to the printer)?
  3. What is the IP address of the printer when it works?  What is the IP address of the printer the problem occurs?
  4. When the problem occurs, can you ping the printer?  Can you access the printer's internal web page via it's IP address?
  5. Do you have any other wireless devices on your network?
  6. Can you recover from the problem by power-cycling the printer and PC?

Regards / Jim B

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Student
mwernimont
Message 4 of 11 (21,522 Views)

I have the same issue with using the C4580 wirelessly. I am using a new HP Pavilion DV7 Windows Vista. When I first install the software print and scan work fine, upon shutting down, restarting laptop, or allowing to hibernate the network connection between printer and computer no longer exists. I can reinstall the software and it's fine until restart, shutdown, or hibernation........not the convenience you buy a wireless printer for if you have to reload the software every time.
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 5 of 11 (21,484 Views)

I have a couple of questions: 

• What kind of wireless conection are you using: Ad-Hoc (direct computer to printer) or Infrastructure (using a wireless-router)?
  • If you're using a wireless-router, what kind is it?
  • Does power-cycling the printer restore the connection to the printer?
  • What is the IP address of the printer when connection to the printer breaks?  You can get the IP address by printing the Network configuration page.

( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
NEED_HELP
Message 6 of 11 (21,438 Views)

Sorry I didn't reply to your last post, and thank you for trying to help!!! 

The issue right now is with a wireless connection using a router; however once I get this straightened out, I need to set up an ad-hoc connection on another computer.

The wireless router is NetGear.

Power-cycling does nothing to resolve the issue.  Neither does turning the router off and back on or any other part off and back on.

Right now, I have resorted to a USB connection because I cannot have my printer out of service and I cannot be reinstalling the software every day!  However, I will say that the last number of the IP address has changed every time I have done this, and they are still showing on my network map.  It went from ending .2 to .4 to .6; the IP address of my wiresless network ends .1.

I have tried downloading the latest drivers from the HP web site.  I have also followeed all of the instructions given to be by the HP Chat online help.  I have copied them below so that you can see what has been tried and failed.

First Chat:

This e-mail is a follow-up to your recent Chat session. As promised earlier, here is the solution to the issue you mentioned  during our chat session.

I understand that you are unable to print and use HP solution center from the computer to the All-in-One.

Please follow the steps in the computer to uninstall the All-in-One software from the computer.

To completely uninstall the software, run the uninstaller at level three using these steps:

1. Turn the All-in-One off and disconnect any USB/Ethernet cable from All-in-One to computer.

2. Insert the all-in-one CD-ROM into the computer. Cancel any installation windows that appear.

3. Click Start on the taskbar and then click Run.

4. In the command box type the following command and press Enter key:

X:\Util\CCC\Uninstall_L3.bat

(X: is the CD-ROM drive letter of that the all-in-one CD-ROM is in)

Please disable all Anti-virus and firewalls on your system before installation.

Please follow the web link to download the All-in-One software.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-61905-2&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

Click on the above web link, a new window will open and the web page reads as "HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers".

-- Click on 'Download only'
-- select 'Save' option.
-- Save the file to the Desktop
-- Once the download is complete the installation should start automatically.
-- If the installation doesnot starts automatically, double click on the file and start the  installation.

Second Chat (2 sets of instructions):

Here are the steps to add the files to exceptional list:
----------------------------------------------------------
A. Go to the Control Panel. Start > Control Panel.
B. Security Center
C. Scroll to the Bottom
D. Click "Windows Firewall"
E. Click "Exceptions" Tab
F. Click "Add Program"
G. Click "Browse"
H. Select "C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe"
I. Click OK
J. Click OK
K. Close all windows
L. Reboot

hpqkygrp.exe, located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory.
hpqscnvw.exe, located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory.
hpqste08.exe, located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory.
hpzipm12.exe, located under the C:\windows\system32 directory.
hpzinw12.exe, located under the C:\windows\system32 directory.
hpqtra08.exe, located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory.
hpqthb08.exe, located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory.
hpqdirec.exe, located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here are the steps to unistall and reinstall.

=============================================

Step 1:
-------

Download the software of the All-in-One from the below weblink:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3418707

1. Disable all the antivirus and firewalls in your computer before installing the software of the printer.

2. In the page scroll down to "Step 3: Obtain software: ". There click on 'download only' button save the file to desktop.

Uninstall the software of the All-in-One from the below instructions:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Double-click on the downloaded file to extract it. Click Exit on the Installation screen that launches.

4. Click on Start and then Search. In the search window click on All Files and Folders

5. Click on More advanced options and place a check mark next to Search hidden files and folders.

6. In the search box type ‘Uninstall_L3’. Click on search

7. Locate the file ‘Uninstall_L3’ from the search results (Select the 1st one, if the search returns many files with the name Uninstall_L3). Click on it to uninstall the software.

=============================================

Step 2:
-------

Install the software of the All-in-One from the below instructions:

1. Double-Click on the downloaded file

2. Wait until the installation screen automatically launches.

3. Once it is automatically launched, click on Install to install the software.

4. After you have done with installation then computer will prompts to restart the computer. Go for it.

Here is the web link to download the print diagnostic utility to resolve the issue:
=====
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-56143-2&cc=us&lc=en&...
=====
Just click on the web link to open it.

In the web page, click "Download only". When it asks to Run/Save, click Save and select the path as Desktop.

Once the download is complete,Double click on the downloaded file to install the sofware and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

It would produce a diagnostic report, it will show where the issue is and it will give an option to fix the issue, click on Fix to resolve the issue.

If the issue persists, please get back to us for further assistance.

Further attempts to resolve this issue with HP Chat just resulted in the same advice.  Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated - thanks again for taking an interest in this issue.

Top Student
NEED_HELP
Message 7 of 11 (21,436 Views)

I have tried downloading the latest drivers from the HP site as well as a few other things (see my post to the other response on this thread).  I do have the printer connected to a surge protector.  I am hesitant to plug it directly into the wall, as we have frequent power outages, and I've seen my protector tripped before.  I don't want to burn it out if something happens.  Can you possibly explain to me why this might be effective and how I can still protect my printer from damage?

Thank you very much for taking an interest in this issue.  I am truly stumped!!!

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 8 of 11 (21,457 Views)

I have a couple of questions and some suggestions:

1. Is the IP address of the printer, the computer or both changing over time?
  2. I recommend setting a DHCP reservation for the computer and the printer.  Log on to your wireless-router, look for LAN setup, address reservation.  You should see a list of clients connected to the wireless-router.  Set reservations for at least the printer and the computer.
  3. Uninstall the SW (sorry about this) and reinstall.

With the IP address of the computer and the printer now fixed, the SW shouldn't have any trouble finding the printer when it wakes from sleep (I hope).

BTW -- unless you're using a very inexpensive surge protector, the printer should be fine connected to it.   I think the advice to plug the printer directly into the wall as a way to fix SW problems is quite interesting.

Top Student
NEED_HELP
Message 9 of 11 (21,413 Views)

It has been just the printer changing.  Your suggestion appears to have worked!  I actually did the reservation thing for my VOIP router and computer as well...just in case.

I followed your steps and tried to print (1) after putting my computer to sleep and turning the printer off and on, and (2) after just putting my computer to sleep.  It worked both times.  I am SO relieved!  I hope this solution works in the long term, but I don't think I'll have a problem.  It shouldn't matter how long my computer is asleep - minutes or hours (I hope!).

I cannot thank you enough.  This has been quite a frustrating experience and having the solution is wonderful.  If the problem comes back for some reason, I'll repost to this thread - but here's to hoping I don't have to.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

j3 Student
Student
j3
Message 10 of 11 (14,215 Views)

I'm glad your problem is solved. I havefound HP a disaster . I can't get it to print text, emails, word documents stc. even connected to a USB.

At first it woudl print 1 page clearly. Now it either prints blank or will only print the colort sections of an email

Yes, I have done all the disconnectiong, reinstalling etc.

IfI create a all one color PDF & print it as a photo, i get a decent image but really.

This is a junck product.

& tech suporrt. I am disabled & when you call my may me get the serial number, part number & my blood test EVERY time.

What kind of junk

read google. It gets terribel ratings.

That said>

1. who knows how to get th ething to print clear, draft quality documents (not photos)

2. How to get it to work wireless after its installed USB

Thanks in advance

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation