Question

Honor Student
dorkvader
Message 1 of 6 (14,351 Views)

HP Photosmart C4780: Problem with connecting wireless-ly

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble with connecting my HP Photosmart C4780 wireless-ly. Every time I try to install it, the installer "checks for system... applying updates" and then disappears. Then I start all over again. One time, I was able to install it, but it still won't detect the printer, even if I've already connected it with a USB!

So what happens always is...

"Check box if USB is connected with printer and computer"

"Printer not listed" ('cause nothing appears)

then I'm back again to doing that.

I have a Telus router, a Siemens Gigabyte SE567.

My laptop is an ACER, which has wifi.

I can't seem to find the "hp_setup" even if the wireless radio is enabled on the HP printer.

I'm having trouble finding my "access point." I know my SSID and my password.

Is it a necessity to have a router that is WPS? HP can detect my SSID...

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 6 (14,309 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C4780: Problem with connecting wireless-ly

Having a router with WPS will make the wireless setup process easier, but it is not a necessity. You may need to restore the default network settings on the printer so that it will broadcast the 'hpsetup' SSID. Press the Scan button>Wireless Menu>Restore Network Defaults>OK. Now check if you're able to find the 'hpsetup' SSID from your laptop.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
dorkvader
Message 3 of 6 (14,297 Views)

Still no hpsetup.

I remember seeing it before, but after that, I never saw it again. 

Grad Student
BharathKumarK
Message 4 of 6 (14,289 Views)

Hi,

In order to connect the printer to the wireless network, please follow the steps given below:

1. Download the software from the link mentioned below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-71555-3&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

2. Then start the installation. During the process of the Installation before you check the box “I have reviewed and accept the installation agreements and settings.” Please click on “Internet connection usage settings”.

1.jpg

3. Under “Would you like to check for updates automatically”, please select “No Thank you, I will check for updates myself”. Then Under HP can also use an Internet Connection to provide the Smart Hints, assistance with creative projects, and offers”, please select “No Thank You” and click on OK.

2.jpg

4. Then click on Selected Software and uncheck the following:

3.jpg

HP Customer Participation program

HP  Upadte

Shop for Supplies.

HP Smart web printing

HP Photo Creations

Printing software from Cupons.com

Yahoo! Toolbar customized for HP.

Please uncheck these in the list and click on OK.

5. Then check the box “I have reviewed and accepted the installation agreement and settings” and click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions.

If the issue still persists, please open the CD and then open the Setup folder. In the setup folder, please double click on hpzdui01.exe and then select the connection type as “Wireless Network connection” and click on Next.

Then select “No (or not sure), help me setup the wireless network for my printer” and click on Next.

You will be prompted to connect the printer to the computer via USB cable, please connect the printer via USB cable and then click on Next. Follow the onscreen instructions.

If your network name is not displayed in the list of networks or if you get any error message, please make sure the following options are configured on the router.

1. SSID broadcast should be enabled.

2. The connection mode or the Wireless mode on the router should be set to 802.11b/g or Mixed.

3. The Wireless channel should be set to 11.

4. Then Make sure you are entering the correct wireless security key.

5. Check if the Wireless MAC filtering is enabled. If it is enabled you should add the MAC address of the printer to the exception list or disable MAC address filtering.

6. Move the printer closer to the router.

Then try to install the software again.

HP Customer Participation program

HP  Upadte

Shop for Supplies.

HP Smart web printing

HP Photo Creations

Printing software from Cupons.com

Yahoo! Toolbar customized for HP.

Please uncheck these in the list and click on OK.

5. Then check the box “I have reviewed and accepted the installation agreement and settings” and click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions.

If the issue still persists, please open the CD and then open the Setup folder. In the setup folder, please double click on hpzdui01.exe and then select the connection type as “Wireless Network connection” and click on Next.

5.jpg

Then the installer will try to find the printer over the network and then come up with the screen mentioned below:

6.jpg

Then select “No (or not sure), help me setup the wireless network for my printer” and click on Next.

You will be prompted to connect the printer to the computer via USB cable, please connect the printer via USB cable and then click on Next. Follow the onscreen instructions.

If your network name is not displayed in the list of networks or if you get any error message, please make sure the following options are configured on the router.

1. SSID broadcast should be enabled.

2. The connection mode or the Wireless mode on the router should be set to 802.11b/g or Mixed.

3. The Wireless channel should be set to 11.

4. Then Make sure you are entering the correct wireless security key.

5. Check if the Wireless MAC filtering is enabled. If it is enabled you should add the MAC address of the printer to the exception list or disable MAC address filtering.

6. Move the printer closer to the router.

Then try to install the software again.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Honor Student
dorkvader
Message 5 of 6 (14,249 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for that, I finally saw hope! But now the printer is stuck on showing the HP logo. :smileyindifferent: How do I reboot the printer? I've already tried plugging it out, then plugging it back in. Just when I thought I can finally install it... 

EDIT: I also downloaded the firmware, but it doesn't detect the printer.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 6 of 6 (14,225 Views)

Try this: turn off your wireless router temporarily, then restart the printer by unplugging its power cable and plugging it back. If the printer starts up normally, then try to apply the firmware update. If this does not work, then I suggest you call HP to get the printer replaced.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation