Question

Honor Student
J-Ski
Message 1 of 17 (60,383 Views)

HP Photosmart C4780 - Trouble setting up my wireless connection

I purchased a new 20" Mac desktop and the Photosmart printer at the same time.  Installed the printer and set up wireless at the time.  This was about 3 weeks ago.  Since then, I bought a new router thru Qwest and have since set up a new wireless network.  The printer was no longer communicating with the network, so I proceeded to uninstall the printer software and reinstall.  Thru the setup process, I've had the printer connected to my Mac via USB cable and my Mac connected to the wireless network via AirPort.  I'm able to configure the printer to the network fine, but when I click continue, I receive an error message:  

"Device Not Reachable"

and the following explanation:  

"The network configuration was successfully downloaded to the device. However to continue configuring the device in network, your Mac must have access to the device. So please make sure that your Mac has access to the Network : "NETWORK NAME" and retry."

I cannot figure out what steps I need to take to fix this and move forward.  I believe my Mac has access to the network as I am connected to it via my AirPort.  I've checked all settings to I can think of for a rogue box not checked, but I'm just striking out.  I sat on hold with HP for 75 minutes yesterday before giving up and today their call center isn't even accepting calls.  Any help that can be offered here is appreciated.

Thanks in advance! 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 17 (60,751 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C4780 - Trouble setting up my wireless connection

First, a few questions:

Did your new router replace an older router or is in addition to (you mentioned an Airport -was that in your Mac or an Airport router)?

Does your new router have the identical SSID, encryption type and key (all are case sensitive)?

Is your Mac using Snow Leopard or Leopard?

That ought to get us started....

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
J-Ski
Message 3 of 17 (60,742 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

1. The new router replaced an older one.  Using a PK5000 router issued by Qwest.
  2. The AirPort is in my Mac.
  3. No.  I recreated a new network.  (New name.  Security wise, the old one used a WEP Password, new one uses WPA2 Personal)
  4. Mac is using Snow Leopard

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 17 (60,728 Views)

OK, the drivers for the device are included in the OS, so don't load the ones on the CD (which are for Leopard).  If you loaded those, use the uninstaller in the Applications, Hewlett-Packard folder to uninstall them.  Load the software from here.

You may want to reset the printing system before you re-install the software.  Right (control) click inside the Print Queue list (System Prefs, Print & Fax) and choose Reset Printing System. 

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
J-Ski
Message 5 of 17 (60,721 Views)

Thanks again for a quick reply.  I followed the instruction you provided...

1. Uninstalled the printer software originally loaded from the CD
  2. Reset the printing system in the Print & Fax Print Queue
  3. Loaded the software from the link you provided.

Upon installing the software package, I was able to get to the exact same point as previous, then was hit with the same error message.  

Device Not Reachable

The network configuration was successfully downloaded to the device. However to continue configuring the device in network, your Mac must have access to the device. So please make sure that your Mac has access to the Network : "NETWORK NAME" and retry.

Any alternative suggestions? 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 17 (60,683 Views)

You are the second person today with almost the identical issue.  My opinion is that it is an Actiontec (Qwest) issue.

Read my post toward the bottom of the string for some (not very attractive) options. 

I am employed by HP
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 7 of 17 (60,667 Views)

[ Edited ]

The Actiontec PK5000 supports WPS to connect devices to the network.  Let's try using that method to get the printer on the network:

1. Follow the instructions here to start and start the Push Button Configuration (PBC) method to connect a device.
  2. On the C4780, press Wireless Settings (Scan Button)
  3. Press Wireless Menu
  4. Press WPS
  5. Press Push Button

This should connect the printer to your Actiontec network (hopefully you're using WPA-PSK encryption since WEP isn't well supported with WPS).  Now let's check the connectivity from your Mac to the printer.  From Safari, try to open the printer's internal web page by browsing to it's IP address.

Does this work?

Next, try to open the printer's internal web page via the Bonjour bookmark.  From Safari, select Bookmarks, then Show All Bookmarks, then select Bonjour on the left hand pane.  Is your printer listed in the main window?  If so, double click on it and see if the printer's web page appears.

Message Edited by Wi-Fi-Guy on 10-04-2009 09:20 PM
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
AdamSea
Message 8 of 17 (60,158 Views)

I kinda have the same issue. I have a 13" MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard, and have followed the aforementioned steps. But for some reason, when I go through everything, it can never connect to the printer (Photosmart C4780) I tried to set it up on the network, as it's wireless, but to no avail. I have it plugged into a power outlet, which I was told was all that needed to be plugged in for this to work once set up. I have an AirPort Express, and have a network set up in our apartment. I do not have the previous Qwest router. But no matter what it does no connect. It will work if I skip the wireless set up and say it's strictly USB, but that is a pain, as it came with a 2 foot cable, and is not near where I do all my work.

My wife has an XP PC, and even that is having issues, as the printer and PC are apparently on different network IP's... 

I'm confused as heck and really frustrated with this. I have logged 7+ hours into trying to figure this out, which is something that I can normally accomplish... but this is a new beast of it's own.

Help? 

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 9 of 17 (60,093 Views)

Does the printer have an IP address? Can you access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address?
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
AdamSea
Message 10 of 17 (60,087 Views)

It did give me the IP's but cannot connect to them via webpage, and now, for some reason, when I try to print out the network setup page to verify the IP's that I had originally written down, and now the printer won't even do that... I'm at a loss... Is there a way to hard reset the printer?

Thanks.

Adam 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation