Question

Top Student
thopman
Message 1 of 15 (8,833 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Photosmart C4795 with Apple Airport Extreme Wireless router - wired PC problem

Hello,

I've searched, but I cannot quite find an exact match for my problem.

I have a brand new HP desktop running Windows 7, and I am attaching it to my wireless router, which is an Apple Airport Extreme.  I have attached my HP C4795 printer to the USB port on the *router*.  In theory, the USB should pass through, so that the desktop will think it is a "wired" printer, while also allowing us to print remotely from our laptops (through the router).

Unfortunately, while the laptops can print wirelessly just fine, the *desktop* keeps "losing" the printer, thinking it is offline.  Even when it shows "online" (after my reinstalling via "Add a Printer"), the print jobs still error-out.

Can someone help me figure out how to work this?  The printer works fine, btw, if I unplug the USB cable from the router and plug it directly to the PC, so its not anything directly with printer or the desktop, but rather the *combination* of running through the Apple Airport Extreme router.

Thanks,

Terry

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 15 (8,825 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C4795 with Apple Airport Extreme Wireless router - wired PC problem

First, do you realize that the USB port on your router only supports printing, not scanning?

If you still want to proceed, we can do that.  I would recommend connecting the printer wirelessly so that you have both print and scan capability.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
thopman
Message 3 of 15 (8,822 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C4795 with Apple Airport Extreme Wireless router - wired PC problem

Thanks, sorry, no I didn't realize the scanner wouldn't work (although, I'll be honest, I haven't been able to get it to work yet, so you are probably right!)

What I would like to do, ultimately, is to be able to print and scan from not only my desktop, but also multiple laptops in my household.  The desktop is located alongside the printer physically.  The desktop doesn't have a wireless card (I don't think).  If I use the printer's internal wireless transmitter, I would have to get a wireless "receiver" of some kind for the desktop (which I can do, I suppose).

Also, my daughter had a similar HP printer (different model), and with her Macbook she'd have to "switch" channels, basically, when printing wirelessly, and lose her internet connection.  I know this sounds dumb, maybe, but if I use the printer's internal wireless transmitter, can I do it while staying web-connected? (maybe she was doing something wrong)

Can you describe what my best approach would be?

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 4 of 15 (8,812 Views)

You daughter appears to be using a direct Ad-Hoc connection between her Macbook and the printer.  Her solution is to connect the printer to her wireless-router then reinstall the SW.

What model HP printer does she have?  What Mac OS version is she running?  What kind of wireless-router does she have?

---

For your setup, we need to get the printer connected to your wireless router then run the installation SW again to install the network printer.

Since you have an Apple Airport Extreme, there's an easy way to get the printer on the network using WPS.

Start the WPS Pushbutton method for your printer:

1. Press the Scan button
  2. Press the Wireless Menu button
  3. Press the WPS button
  4. Press Push Button

Now do the following:

1. open the Apple Airport Utility
  2. select your wireless router
  3. select Manual Setup
  4. select Add Wireless Clients ... from the Base Station menu
  5. Select First Attempt then press Continue.

You have to start the Apple Add Wireless Client process within two minutes of starting the printer's WPS pushbutton method.  Actually, order doesn't matter ... you can start the Add Wireless Clients process on the the Apple router first then start the printer's WPS pushbutton method.

Finish up by installing the Windows 7 SW for the C4795.  You can download that SW here.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
thopman
Message 5 of 15 (8,803 Views)

Thanks, Jim.

Wow, I really thought we had it there, but I'm still having problems.

Just to clarify, I assume you meant that I should physically have the printer attached to the Apple router using a USB cable, right?  I did this, and then I performed the steps you indicated, but it either just hung (endless hourglass), or I got an error message at one end or the other.  (the printer said "WPS session overlap.  Press OK and try again, or else the PC Airport Utility said "Error occurred while wireless client was trying to join your network.  Try again").  I tried numerous times, but it was one of these three scenarios each time.

I had already installed the HP software for C4795 previously.  Is there some issue with it being there before the connection is established?

The other thought I had was, should I be using the wireless transmitter in the printer to connect wirelessly to the Apple router, and then share printing that way somehow?

I really appreciate the help thus far.  I hope you can help me work this out.

Thanks,

Terry

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 6 of 15 (8,789 Views)

Though I don't expect it to matter, lets try the process I posted previously without connecting the printer to the router with the USB cable.

A few other things to check:

1) From the Apple Airport utility, make sure the radio mode is set for Automatic.

2) If you're using security, the preferred setting is  WPA/WPA2 Personal.

3) Print out the C4795's Network Configuration Page (press the Scan button, then Wireless Menu, then Wireless Settings, then the Print Network Configuration Page).  The second page will contain a wireless survey.  Tell me the names of the wireless networks (SSID), the channel number and the signal strength (Signal).  Tell me which one is your network.

From the Apple Airport utility, change the Radio Channel Selection to Manual and Edit the channel number to be at least 5 channels away from your strongest neighbor.

Select Update.

4) Now select Add Wireless Clients ... from the Apple Airport Base Station menu and select First attempt and press Continue.  From the printer, start the WPS Pushbutton method (press the Scan button, then Wireless Menu, then WPS, then Push Button).

Tell me if this works to get the printer connected to your network.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
thopman
Message 7 of 15 (8,743 Views)

Thanks, again, Jim.

I think I may have stumbled on the solution.  I had done some reading online about Apple's "Bonjour" application, and how it seemed to be needed to make Apple devices, such as the Airport, work with sharing devices.  I had forgotten that the Airport install disk had said something about installing Bonjour, but I discovered on my wired HP Win 7 PC in the Programs menu something called "Bonjour Printer Utility" or something, and I launched it, selected the C4795 in the resulting dialog box, and everything seemed to fall into place (i.e. the printer suddenly showed as "online" and I could print from my wired desktop, as well as wireless laptop).

Success!

Thanks for all your help on this.  Now, all I need is to get my WD My Book external/shared hard disk to work as well!  Unfortunately, I don't see a "Bonjour Hard Disk Utility" there, but I feel somehow Bonjour will be the answer.  I just have to figure that out. 

Thanks,

Terry

Student
jesseeb
Message 8 of 15 (6,934 Views)

I am having the same situation, except using a Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista.  Can you tell me how to proceed after the "push?"  I did up to that step and was able to print once, but then the session timed out.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 15 (6,897 Views)

FIrst, start the WPS process from the front panel of your printer. Then:

open the Apple Airport Utility
select your wireless router
select Manual Setup
select Add Wireless Clients ... from the Base Station menu (in the menu bar)
Select First Attempt then press Continue.
You have to start the Apple Add Wireless Client process within two minutes of starting the printer's WPS pushbutton method. Actually, order doesn't matter ... you can start the Add Wireless Clients process on the the Apple router first then start the printer's WPS pushbutton method.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
craigwortham
Message 10 of 15 (4,488 Views)

Different printer (HP Photosmart C4780 PSC); same problem: "WPS: Session Overlap."  One slight difference, my printer is connected to my iMac - not the Airport.   Following your steps:

Config page lists six networks discovered (two are mine):

Craig's Network - Channel 11

Craig's Guest Network - Channel 11

Guest_tidbit - Channel 6

Yoshilinksys - also on Channel 11.  

As you can see, there's an issue for me to get 5 channels away from strongest neighbor.  (My strongest neighbor is Yoshilinksys who is sharing my channel 11, so I am technically 5 away from Guest Tidbit who is on channel 6.) I did go into Radio Channel Selection and selected Channel 8, just for the heck of it, and got the "WPS: Session Overlap" error anyway.  

Any other suggestions?

Aloha,

Craig

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation