Question

Top Student
MalachiR
Message 1 of 25 (5,687 Views)

HP Photosmart C6180 will not connect wirelessly to secured network

Hi,

I just set up a new Belkin G router today, but encountered problems with connecting the printer to the wireless network.  When security was not present, it connected.  Once I set up WPA2 security it failed, with the diagnostic printout asking me to check for MAC filtering (it failed the filtering test).  Well, the filtering was off at this point, so the message makes no sense to me.  This is quite puzzling also because the printer was connected wirelessly to my old Belkin G router, with similar settings.  The only major setting modification that I have made is the move from WPA to WPA2.  Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 25 (5,686 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C6180 will not connect wirelessly to secured network

Yes, you need to tell the printer that you have a new router, even if the SSID and passwords are the same.

In this model it is very easy, just run the Wireless Setup Wizard from the front panel of the printer.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
MalachiR
Message 3 of 25 (5,671 Views)

Hi,

I used Wireless Setup and it connected the printer when there was no security in place. 

Once I setup WPA2, I reran the wizard and entered the password, but this time it would not connect. 

It prints out a diagnostic after the failure.  It says that it failed at the filtering test.  It asks me to check MAC filtering being on.  But MAC filtering was not on.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 25 (5,669 Views)

OK, we will have to put in the WPA 2 password another way.  There are several ways to do this.

I think the easiest is to hook up the printer to either your router or directly to your printer with an Ethernet cable.

1. Print a Network Config page.

2. Note the IP address of the printer

3. Type that IP address into a browser.  You will see the printer's internal settings page

4. Navigate to Networking tab, then to Wireless 802.11 (along the left side).

5. Start the Wizard and follow the instructions.

When you are done, unplug the Ethernet cable and it should be on the network.

Now you may still have problems if the IP address of the printer is different than when you installed the software on the computer (which is likely with a new router).  You may have to re-install the software on your computer.

Finally, it is best to set a static IP address for the printer.  Need help with that? 

I am employed by HP
Tutor
netwit
Message 5 of 25 (5,366 Views)

Hi,

I am having a similar problem.  I have a D-Link router and am able to print via a wireless connection as long as I use WEP security.  When I change to WPA security, it will no longer print.  I followed your suggestions to use the wireless network (802.11) wizard using the ip for the printer.  The wizard completed successfully.  However, when I disconnect the Ethernet cable, I am still unable to print.  I changed the IP configuration to manual (keyed in ip values from HP network configuration page).  Still not working.  I noticed under the advanced tab, the passphrase shows 7 character value even though I entered a much larger passkey.

Thank you for your assistance!!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 25 (5,356 Views)

OK, keep your router set to WPA encryption and, of course, note the passphrase.  It is case-sensitive.

Run the Wireless Setup Wizard from the front panel of the printer (without the ethernet cable attached, you do not use it in this method). 

I am employed by HP
Tutor
netwit
Message 7 of 25 (5,352 Views)

ok - I ran the wireless wizard on my printer.  I got a connection error:  Check if MAC address filtering is being used by your wireless router.

I have IP filters (radio button) but not MAC filter.

Thank you!!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 25 (5,341 Views)

OK, the printer often just blames MAC filtering when it cannot communicate properly.

Check the wireless radio configuration, make sure it is broadcasting in 802.11g mode, check the type of WPA you are using (let me know what the choices are, they vary by router). 

I am employed by HP
Tutor
netwit
Message 9 of 25 (5,320 Views)

Hi,

I have my d-link set to WPA-PSK.  My intel-PROset/Wireless is set to Personal Security and WPA-Personal (TKIP).

According to the manual, it is broadcasting at 802.11g.  The d-link is VDWL-G120.  I'm not sure how else to check it.....

Thank you soooo much for your help!

Tutor
netwit
Message 10 of 25 (5,316 Views)

Hi again.

I forgot to tell you the the security choices on my d-link.  They are Open, Shared Key, WPA, WPA-PSK & WEB.

The choices on my intel under Personal are: WPA-Personal (TKIP), WPA2-Personal (TKIP),

WPA-Personal (AES-CCMP), WPA2-Personal (AES-CCMP).

The choices on my intel under Enterprise are: WPA-Personal, WPA2-Personal, WPA-Enterprise, WPA2-Enterprise

and a drop down for TKIP or AES-CCMP data encryption.

I noticed that my intel profiles has a check box for enable 802.1x.  However, it is grayed out and can't be changed. 

Does this mean my router isn't broadcasting at 802.11g?

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation