Question

Tutor
Just4fun
Message 1 of 11 (12,299 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m wireless goes offline after system is shutdown

[ Edited ]

I am using the HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m on a Dell XPS 16 with Windows 7 64bit. I have setup the printer to connect to the Belkin wireless router so it is on the network. I have setup the printer numerous times and had it working over wireless many times. After the PC is shutdown the printer goes offline. I have to rerun setup over and over again to bring wireless back online. I added the MAC address to the Belkin router, and I have the device trusted in my Norton Firewall. I keep seeing "HP Network Support Automatic (Delayed Start)" in services, but changing it does not seem to make any difference I still need to rerun setup again after the system is shutdown. I am also seeing two printer icons in Devices and Printers. One is just the Photosmart Printer with a generic printer icon; and the second is Photosmart Printer, Scanner, Copier with a picture of the Photosmart which I believe it should be. I have run the setup at least 10 times, and I keep getting a good working wireless system then after the machine is shutdown for the day the printer goes offline and will not print again. How can I prevent the printer from going offline in wireless mode?  

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 11 (12,287 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m wireless goes offline after system is shutdown

First, MAC filtering is not secure and will create problems in your system.  Disable it and use WPA or WPA2 security with a strong 13+ character password.  Read more here.

Make sure your Belkin router has the latest firmware.  Reboot it and the printer afterward.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
Just4fun
Message 3 of 11 (12,282 Views)

I am using WPA-2 security with a strong password. Belkin router has the latest firmware.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 11 (12,280 Views)

There is updated software for Win7 64.  It was just released a couple of weeks ago.  It is supposed to address this issue, although I have heard it sometimes does not.

There is clearly a problem with HP printers and Win7 64.  I think you are experiencing it.  Sorry, other than this I am out of ideas.  Maybe don't shut your computer down so often until this is resolved.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
Just4fun
Message 5 of 11 (12,277 Views)

I am using the new 64 bit version of the software, but it doesn't fix this issue. Thank you for trying.

HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers 3/2010 14.1.0 

Tutor
Just4fun
Message 6 of 11 (12,203 Views)

I still have the same printer offline issue. However, I found a much easier workaround instead of rerunning setup. All I have to do is power off the printer. The printer connects to the wireless network again after it is powered on. The network configuration page never shows any issue. A power off/on for the printer brings the printer online with no other changes. For some reason the printer going into standy moded couple with the PC being shutdown makes the printer go offline.   

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 11 (12,191 Views)

Setting a static IP address may help this issue:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know this, enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
Just4fun
Message 8 of 11 (12,175 Views)

I set a manual IP address, bu the result is the same. I have submitted the problem to HP Total Care to see if they can find the solution.

Tutor
Just4fun
Message 9 of 11 (11,718 Views)

I resolved the issue.

I set the IP address to the printers MAC address in the router.

I set the printer to TRUSTED in Norton Security Suite network settings.

The printer works wireless all the time now. 

Student
booksluv
Message 10 of 11 (4,502 Views)

My HP Photosmart B8209a keeps going offline and I cannot get it back online.  I use a MacBook Pro and a Mac wireless router.  I have read the posts and cannot seem to use the information given.  Any ideas or contact numbers to troubleshoot this problem.  It has worked previously. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation