Question

Honor Student
nsx241
Message 1 of 8 (4,981 Views)

HP Photosmart Premium (C309g) Cannot find Router (WNDR3700)

I've recently purchased this printer. During the wireless setup, it was unable to find my router (Netgear WNDR3700). I have two SSID's (one for b/g and one for a/n). Neither are broadcasted, but when inputing the a/n SSID, the printer can't find the router. However, using the b/g SSID, it is found. I thought this printer supported 802.11n (which draft version?). I've also tried changing the SSID to be broadcasted, but obviously it still can't find it.

Also, unrelated question, this particular printer seems to always make a hissing sound when turned on, emanating from from near the card reader area. Is this normal? It's not really loud or annoying, so I can live with it if it is.

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 8 (4,968 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart Premium (C309g) Cannot find Router (WNDR3700)

A couple of things:

1) The printer has a 2.4 GHz 802.11n radio.  The WNDR3700 is a simultaneous dual band (2.4 Ghz and 5 GHz) wireless-router  (btw -- I have this router and I think it's one of the better devices in my lab).  You won't  be able to connect to the 5 GHz band regardless of the protocol (802.11a or 802.11n) being used.

On the WNDR3700, the 2.4 GHz band is actually a 802.11n/g/b band.

2) On the 2.4 Ghz band, leave the mode setting at 130 Mbps -- this is the most compatible for all devices.   The 300 Mbps setting uses channel bonding and is disruptive to other networks in the 2.4 GHz band.  The 54 Mbps setting disables 802.11n and creates a legacy 802.11g network.

3) On the 5 GHz band, you can use the 300 Mbps mode.

4) Don't hide your SSID.  It doesn't provide any real security and complicates managing your network (see these links here and here for a good explanation).

As for the hissing sound -- what you're hearing is the switch-mode power supply magnetics vibrating.  If it bothers you, you should ask for a replacement.  My prototype does not make this noise so I think you might a one-off problem.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
nsx241
Message 3 of 8 (4,959 Views)

Thanks. I found out later on it was the frequency band issue as you described. I think I will ask for a replacement with regards to the hissing issue.

Student
Dahaka
Message 4 of 8 (4,441 Views)

Hi. I have a similar problem.

I have and iMac and WNDR3700 and HP c309a.

When I try and install the printer on the iMac it finds the device, but never prints.

Furthermore, it connects to the WNDR3700 (the printer does) BUT never prints or scans

Could you please help me with this.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 8 (4,426 Views)

I can help.  What version of OS X are you using?  Where did you get the software for your printer?

Have you updated the firmware for your router lately?

I am employed by HP
Student
ultrageek1111
Message 6 of 8 (3,978 Views)

I, too, have the hissing problem and so does my friend. I also went to a Best Buy, Office Max, and Office Depot and all of their floor displays had the hissing noise as well. What's really odd is the other HP printers in this lineup such as the Photosmart Deluxe do not have this issue. I've taken my printer apart to find the noise and add some accoustic dampening but to no avail. It's very annoying to me at night mainly because I have to keep the printer in my bedroom.  Consequently, I turn the printer off every night but then when I do it sounds like Optimus Prime transforming for the next 2 minutes and usually wakes everyone up in my house.  Great printer otherwise, I love everything else about it but is there ANYTHING I can do about the hiss? Thanks

Honor Student
greg1205
Message 7 of 8 (3,844 Views)

I tried changing the 2.4GHz setting down to 130, but the printer can't find the router.  I'm using a 309a printer.  It was working great two days ago.  I thought I could go in and give it a static IP, but that won't work if the printer can't get on the network in the first place. 

Any thoughts?

Honor Student
greg1205
Message 8 of 8 (3,833 Views)

Solved by doing the available firmware upgrade for the printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation