HP Photosmart c309a no longer connects to network (14860 Views)
Honor Student
sknrdman
Message 11 of 65 (5,341 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart c309a no longer connects to network

It looks like I am in the same boat as the others. All of a sudden the wireless connectivity will not work. I printer is about 13 months old.  I guess I need to go see if I can find the receipt now. unbelievable. I bought this one because the other one I had kept losing its connectivity and had to keep restarting it. If by some miracle I get it working again I will update my post.

If anyone has ever been able to get one working again it would be great to know.

Thakns

Student
Leenyc
Message 12 of 65 (5,338 Views)

I am never buying HP again.  My c309a wireless also failed, but after the warranty expired.  Along with that, my SmartSave "Backup" drive also failed, along with my other Photosmart printer, all with very low mileage on them.  All withinn a couple of weeks of each other.  After a multitude of HP printers, I am done with them.

Honor Student
lately
Message 13 of 65 (5,297 Views)

I, too, have had my HP Photosmart c309a for 15 months.  The wireless radio just quit working one day last week.  I have tried all the suggestions and have had no improvement.  I am so upset with HP. 

Student
nifffer
Message 14 of 65 (5,218 Views)

He Jim!

I am having a similar problem. Could you help me too? I called HP and they told me that I need a new printer since mine is not under warranty anymore and they cannot service it because it is not manufactered anymore.

On my diagnostic report, the RNDIS PID/VID value is N/C.  I dont see a section that says Undirected Scan-Wireless Networks found. but I do have a section that says Wireless Adaptor Information Detail, which lists my wireless network, NETGEAR. I dont see anythnig about a channel or a RSSI.

I would really appreciate if you could help me! WOuld you know if theres anything  Icould do instead of buying a new printer? I am a graduate student and do not have the money for a new one!

Thank you!

Jenn

Honor Student
Redmist
Message 15 of 65 (5,208 Views)

[ Edited ]
I have just suffered the same problem. My printer is about 18 months old and and I am getting Error Fatal F 00004 - Wifi0 - "The wireless network interface is not functioning properly." Tried a hard reset - same problem. Ethernet is working fine but is not practical for the location of my printer.
I just paid $100 for new ink cartridges and after two prints the printer is reporting that they are already half empty.
Not touching any HP product again. :smileymad:
Top Student
drameden
Message 16 of 65 (4,843 Views)

I, too, have had the wireless radio on my c309a fail after 30 months of use.  However, I have a happy ending.  I wisely purchased the Squaretrade warrenty (3 years for $30) when I bought my HP printer (having replaced a couple others which failed after about 2 years each).  After reporting the failure of the wireless radio to Squaretrade, they refunded my entire purchase price for the printer ($225) so I was able to buy a new printer.  Squaretrade rocks.

Top Student
drameden
Message 17 of 65 (4,715 Views)

you don't need a new printer, just a new wifi card, HP part # 1150-7931.  This is a 10 minute DIY job (I just replaced the card in mine).  Very easy.  You lift the top like you were replacing ink cartridges.  On the top left corner (near the LCD), there is a screw to remove.  On the back of the printer, there is a 2d screw near where the phone line plugs in.  remove it.  Now you can pop off the left side of the printer.  Looking that the printer's left side, with the cover removed, there is a small wifi card (top right).  Remove the 1 screw securing it and pull down, unplugging it from the printer's main circuit card.  Then reverse.  Push in the new wifi card.  Replace screw.  Snap side cover back on.  Replace the 2 screws that secure the side cover.  You are done.

The only hard part is finding the wifi card, since HP doesn't even sell it (even though these cards fail by the droves).  I did a search on ebay by part number and got one for $23, including shipping. 

Sad that you are told to go buy a new printer when for a small $ in parts and a very simple DIY repair you can be  back to wireless printing.  Shame on HP for not making this wifi part widely available and telling people how to make an out of warranty repair for a product that is prone to failure in the first place.  This is what the card looks like:  It is about 2 inches by 3 inches.  HP wifi card.jpg

Honor Student
hpuserms
Message 18 of 65 (4,665 Views)

I am having the same issue. My c309 radio antenna failed and will not find any wireless router.
This happened shortly after the warranty period and HP will not replace the printer or the defective parts.

It think this part is made purposely to fail after 12 month so that we have to purchase a new printer.

I have 2 HP laptops and 4 other printers (not wirelss) for my business. I WIL NOT PURCHASE HP PRODUCT AGAIN !
Honor Student
DarbyKH
Message 19 of 65 (4,535 Views)

[ Edited ]

I too have had the same problem.  My printer was working fine the day before and I shut it down at the end of the day.   The next AM I tried to print something and could not.  I was out of warranty, had earlier in the year paid for extra tech support to resolve the issue and was told by HP Tech support that my wireless radio was kaput and I needed a new printer.  Hey, but the printer is only 15 months old?? 

Well I found a solution not through the tech support at HP but elsewhere through NETGEAR for my router support. Simply put, all you need try is the following, and hopefully it will work for you too.

1. On your printer, press the setup button.  Scroll down to the Network menu, press ok, then scroll down and press restore network defaults which will shut off your wireless radio.

2.  Next scroll down to wireless radio and turn your radio back on.

3. Next uninstall the Photosmart c309a driver.  Once uninstalled, go to hp.com and under drivers and support click and find your c309a driver for reinstallation.

4.  Reinstall the driver again, in my case it was for wireless connection.  Follow all  the directions for installing remove all clicks when instructed is one of the prompts.

5.  Finally,  Print a test page to ensure that the printer connections are restored.

Takes about a half an hour or so to fix (for me) but hope that this might help resolve the issue for others!

Top Student
drameden
Message 20 of 65 (4,525 Views)

That is probably a temporary "fix" or coincidence.  As the wireless card fails, it may occasionally work with some fiddling.  Doubt the reinstall had anything to do with it.  I had done similar things on multiple computers before determining that the card itself had failed and replaced the card.  That is a permanent solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation