HP Photosmart c309a no longer connects to network (14887 Views)
Top Student
FrustratedHPuzr
Message 21 of 65 (5,156 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart c309a no longer connects to network

Having same issue as all--- HP c309a suddenly not recognizing (any) network.  I've tried all suggestion.  Is replacing the wireless card a longterm solution?  Wondering if it is worthwhile for someone like me, who is not computer saavy, to muddle through changing the wireless card and what else can go wrong in my muddling.  How much more "life" would be left on this printer if I change the printer's wireless card.   Wondering if it is even worth investing in the $23.00 for a card.... 

I've had other issues with this printer/software since day one, but, until now we've managed to work around them and more-or-less, I've liked the printer.  

so frustrated...

Honor Student
hpuserms
Message 22 of 65 (5,147 Views)

Don't bother replacing a card. Those HP wifi card are made to fail sometime after 12 month (after the warranty period).
DO NOT BUY HP PRINTER. Go buy another brand like Epson. Hp is very unreliable and customer service is terrible.

Top Student
drameden
Message 23 of 65 (5,144 Views)

I got 3+ years out of the original wifi card.  So I invested $23 for a replacement card.  Considering you probably have more than $23 worth of ink cartridges on hand that will go to waste if you give up on the printer, $23 seems like a good investment.  I like the c309a and the wifi card is the only problem I've had and it is fixable.  At some point, you have to say "no" to the disposable society and actuall FIX something rather than throw it away.

Top Student
FrustratedHPuzr
Message 24 of 65 (5,127 Views)

Thanks for the comments.  Not sure what forum I found it on, but after I gave up on trying to purchase a new wi-fi card for the printer, I opted for something I came across, I think in another forum. 

DO NOT THROW OUT THE PRINTER!  Uninstall the printer driver/program and download the driver/program from either the original cd disc, or the HP.com website.  Then use the USB port to connect the printer to a computer.  I ended up syncing every computer (3 laptops and 1 other desktop) to the printer through the wireless network.  Everything works fine again.

At least the printer WORKS!  With all the technology, I had kind of overlooked reverting back to old ways of connecting things. duh.  Happy  I can use up the ink I have left (of course, I had just replaced a few colors!).  So, aside from having to rearrange my office to accomodate the printer closer to the main desktop computer because of the 6' short USB cord, I'm okay for now.

Though I miss the ease of the wireless--- and a feature that SHOULD remain with the printer for its' life--- at least I am still able to use it.   No one should "throw it away"--- as some said.  Donate it to Goodwill or a local thrift store, with a note attached to it, saying, "works fine except for wireless!  Works as a copier!" 

Good luck everyone!

p.s.  As a side note to follow up more, I just got back from talking to the Geek Squad guys at Best Buy about this issue.  One other suggestion they made was to do what I suggested above, attaching it to the USB as directed in HP startup, but, INSTEAD--- watch for a prompt about "configuring" it manually? or something?  I will try that tomorrow and update if any new developements.  Let me know if anyone knows about this or has tried it!  

THANKS! 

Top Student
FrustratedHPuzr
Message 25 of 65 (4,997 Views)

Even though I had it successfully hooked up "wired" and all wireless computers accessing it through the main desktop.... but, I went ahead and replaced the wireless card anyway (PrimeElectronics $20), so I could arrange my office back the way it was.   (Printer had to be on the floor to reach the cables.)

Anyway, wondering if anyone else (AFTER they replaced the wireless card) got error messages?  I got it working with the wireless network, but now when I go to print, I get "General Printing Error 0x61000f6.  Press "OK" to continue".

At first, I was able to hit "OK" and then my document would print.  Now, it just freezes the computer.  I even go to power down and it freezes in "Shutting Down" screen.  (On printer screen only, not computer, if that is of importance.)

I read that "0x61000f6" errors are alignment related---cartridge related, so I realigned cartridges.  I "rebooted" using the "#-6" combination on the printer, --- all to no avail.  I did inadvertantly unplug the power cable, while it was shutting down, possibly while the cartridges were moving, right before I replaced the wireless card.  So, I am not sure if that screwed something up or if it had to do with replacing the wireless card.  

This is why I want to see if anyone else had printing error issues after replacing the card.  THANKS!

Top Student
drameden
Message 26 of 65 (4,989 Views)

I replaced the card and got my wireless working again as before with NO errors.  If you get error messages, recheck your software install.  New card did the trick for me and it is all working as before the failure.

Top Student
FrustratedHPuzr
Message 27 of 65 (4,983 Views)

Thanks for your comments.  That is one thing I didn't try.... re-installing the software.  I did find a few large gobs of printer ink when I examined the carriage thingy.  I was hoping that cleared it all up, but, nope! (uugh.  I don't have time for all this nonsense! lol)

Honor Student
cprecour
Message 28 of 65 (4,838 Views)

I had the same problem....ran wireless network test report and it said wireles FAILED.   Also did the Connectivity status printout and got the RNDIS  PID/VID: N/C result.  I may try to buy a new wireless card as suggested on another post (at prime electronics).... but in the interim I have discovered that I can make it all work by using the ethernet cable from the printer to my Apple Airport router.  The Apple Airport router is already connected wirelessly to the other computers on the network.... I can now still print wirelessly from all the computers on the network....  So if you have a configuration like that give it a try.  

Charlie

Top Student
jim45
Message 29 of 65 (4,758 Views)

Here's another "fix" that might work for those of you that purchased your 309a with a VISA or AMEX card less than two years ago.  Those cards have a benefit that doubles your original warranty (up to a maximum of 1 year extension).  HP won't touch it but you can take it to an independent repair shop and the credit card company will pay for the repair or give you a full refund of your purchase price if it is unrepairable.  I bought my 309a at Costco in September 2010 and it just failed the wireless test.  I'm gong to try this route and see what happens.  If they can't fix it I will get a newer model that uses the same ink cartridges that I just paid $80 to replace.  Still, I'm disappointed in HP for their lack of after warranty support.

Top Student
tooeagle
Message 30 of 65 (4,647 Views)

Where did you find this wireless card and what was the price?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation