HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
03-23-2010 05:40 AM
I purchased a HP 6988. I want to be able to print using my Desktop which is XP and from
a Toshiba laptop which is Windows 7. I did the easy part connecting the printer to the
desktop using the USB, BUT how in the world do I get the wireless print jobs to the
printer from the laptop?? I don't care about all the fancy features I can't use, I just want
simple printing jobs to go wirelessly. Stumped! HELPPPPPPPPPPPP!
03-24-2010 02:35 AM
03-28-2010 08:11 AM
Follow these steps in connecting your printer wirelessly:
- Turn printer on.
- Make sure that there is no blinking light(s).
- Temporary connect the Ethernet cable to the router’s Ethernet port from the printer’s Ethernet port
- Print a Network Configuration Page by pressing the Report Page button
- Access the EWS (Embedded Web Server) of the printer by typing the IP Address of the printer which is shown on line 7 of the network configuration page on any of your customer’s internet browser address bar. (e.g. IP Add 192.168.0.4 on an Internet Explorer browser.
- Then, click on the IP Configuration tab inside the Networking tab
- Select Manual IP. You can just enter the original IP Address of the printer then add the Subnet Mask and the Default Gateway. Manual DNS Server will be selected automatically but you can just leave it blank. Click on Apply.
- Now, you can click OK, close the EWS window
- Open the EWS again. Go back to Networking tab, Wireless (802.11), Wireless Setup, then click the Start Wizard so that the wireless setup wizard on the EWS will commence.
- Select the appropriate SSID (wireless network name) to where you want to connect the printer.
- Click Next after selecting the correct SSID. If the network has no encryption, just click the finish button. Else, enter the encryption key
- The changes will be saved again. And will prompt you when it is successful.
- Click OK. Close the EWS window. You can now also verify with the customer if the Wireless Radio LED is lit on the printer.
- You can now start installing the printer software and driver. Depending on your operating system you can download the software from the website.
This is really a very long process but im sure that this will really help you connect your printer to the network. Hope this is a great help!!