Question

Student
nhaley2881
Message 1 of 6 (5,296 Views)

HP Wireless printer keeps disconnecting over night

My wireless printer HP 3054A keeps disconnecting overnight.  I have to reset it and power down every morning.  Why is this?  Could it be the wireless provider (AT&T)?  It was fine for about 2 weeks, but just this last week it's been doing this.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 6 (5,248 Views)

Re: HP Wireless printer keeps disconnecting over night

Yup, its the router.  Here is a related article: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03112838&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

Specifically, I recommend setting a static IP address for the printer: 

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Student
psalms91
Message 3 of 6 (2,469 Views)

Mine is not a router problem because it prints fine (most of the time) from my apple but will not print from my HP laptop unless I unplug the printer. Now it won't even print after doing that. There are no updates to install. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 6 (2,439 Views)

On your Windows machine, download and run this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03286146&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

What does it say?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
drsal
Message 5 of 6 (1,460 Views)

While trying to solve this repeat problem, I did the following, so far with success.  First, I turned OFF the Wireless Direct Option then printed Woreless NEtwork Test Results from the printer menu.  On the top of the report I received the following message.  I completed the steps successfully and, at least for now, seem to have solved the problem.

ATTENTION: Your P printer is currentlyuc onfigured with an Auto IP address.  On most networks, this will prevent your printer from communitcating ofver the network...

SOLUTION:

1. Remove the power cord on your network router, wait 30 seconds, and then plug the power cord back into the router.

2. On your HP printer, turn power off, and then back on.

3. When the printer ifnishes intializing and the home screen appears, wait at least 60 seconds, and then printe the Wireless Network Test report again.

4. To verify that the printer has received a DHCP IP address from your network router, chec the "configuration Source" in the "Current Configuration" section of the Wireless NEtwork Test report.  It should show "DHCP".

I hope this solution is not temporary...good luck to you.

Honor Student
Dejavue
Message 6 of 6 (557 Views)

HP Officejet 4620 3 in 1 keeps disconnecting wireless connection.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation